landlord stealing electric from my shop

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1991 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi everyone,

I'm looking for my advice i have a shop food which has been open a little over 7 months and i have just seen my landlord is stealing my electric for the flats he is doing up. upstairs which is a full on building site and the wire coming out my meter is a very big thick one so i know hes running alot of juice i have no idea how long this has been going on but it looks like its been done very dangerously and a real bodge it job ive sent videos and pictures to 3 electricians i know which say he is for sure stealing my electric.

Now i have no idea how long this has been going on so first thing im going to do is insist he re emburses me for every electric bill ive ever had as i have no idea what hes used and what he hasnt.

also the shop has never really got off the ground and to be honest its absolutely dying at the minute were open 12 hours a day 6 days a week and its not uncommon to take £60 a day sometimes as low as £30 (terrible i know) and to be honest i would like to be able to get out of my lease because were getting deeper and deeper in debt and a rogue landlord doesnt help by stealing out electric.

could i get out of my lease and demand by deposit back or threaten with legal action? because of course breaking the law? or will i at best get my electric bill re embursed?

thanks in advance

goto your supplier directly

ring them Monday,

keep it to yourself don't give the game away.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I've moved you to the lettings forum

p'haps be better suited here.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

if the suppliers equipment has been tampered with I can assure you the supplier or the network operator will be very interested.

the police wont give a flying ..

its civil not criminal.

Edited by Andyorch
Edited

and they

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/13

that's as might be but they are not stealing it from YOU

you are just the mug that has been paying for it.

let the company deal with this

if you go look on their website … most have portals that you can report this on.

and they

Ofgem - Electricity theft: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/electricity/retail-market/market-review-and-reform/electricity-theft

Report to your Energy Supplier as the Seal on the Meter has most likely been broken as well.

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Theft of electricity is an offence. It is called "abstraction" of electricity and it is an offence under section 13 of the Theft Act 1968 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/13

It had to have a special section because electricity wasn't considered to be "property" which is the general definition of theft in section 1 of the act.

You should absolutely follow the advice above – which is to contact your supplier urgently with the evidence that you have. I'm not entirely sure who the victim is here – but you certainly are one of them if you are being tricked into paying for the electricity that is being used by your landlord.

It has been suggested here that the supplier won't care. This is not the case. The supplier will get especially excited when you challenge the bill and say that you will be refusing to pay until they sorted out and then give you a bill which reflects only your own use.

I would also contact the police. It is not a civil matter as has been suggested above. The criminal matter and it is serious as well as being potentially dangerous.

In terms of being able to escape from your lease, I would have thought that it would be very good grounds for relinquishing the lease but I foresee one problem and that is that the landlord might come back and say that he had nothing to do with it and that he simply instructed the workmen to do certain works and they must of tapped your electricity supply but it wasn't with his authority.

On the other hand, this is scarcely believable because if he has asked them to do work on the properties above your shop then he must have known that there was no electricity supply there and that they would be unable to work without a supply to power their tools and their lights.

Contact the authorities that I have set out above. You have already been advised to do this. I would not start engaging the landlord directly with threats. It almost sounds like blackmail that you know that he is committing the crime and you are now to obtain some advantage from that in return for your silence.

Make sure that you keep copies of all correspondence. That you record any telephone calls – but best not to have any calls at all. Read our customer services guide. Make sure that you get a crime reference number from the police.

Start consulting your lease and also have a look around the Internet for information about the kind of circumstances which would allow you to terminate a lease. It seems to me that the lease is basically a contract and that if your landlord commits a fundamental breach of that contract then that essentially allows you to terminate immediately. I would have thought that if the landlord is stealing your electricity then this is a complete breach of the good faith between you and undermines the confidence which you absolutely need to have for the lease to work.

I have almost no doubt that you have grounds to terminate the lease – subject to the landlord being proved to be responsible for the abstraction.

possibly not. Breaking the law in one way doesnt automatically count as being bad enough to repudiate the lease but as it is THEFT from YOU then that may well be enough. However get electric supplier invoed first and think about that only after the meter has been looked at.

it definitely is a criminal offence. does anyone have any insite on if i could get out of my lease from this.

if the suppliers equipment has been tampered with I can assure you the supplier or the network operator will be very interested.

the police wont give a flying ..

its civil not criminal.

It is criminal.

Abstraction of electricity etc etc

as I pointed out in my following post to that...

and they

thanks for the helpful replies people i spoke with E-ON today who to be quite honest werent very helpful they said because hes tapped in after the meter that he isnt stealing from them hes stealing from me so have advised me to get a private electrician to disconnect it and get a report off him and take that to the police so i can prosecute. so tomorrow i have a electrician coming down to take his connection off and then ill be going to him and give him the option to settle outside of the justice system. if he refuses then ill have to sue him.... only option at the minute i think