Me and Various Benefits

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2021 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have got into debt with my electricity as all my benefits are being eaten up by the shortfall in my rent each month and only leaving me with £100 per month for food!!

My electricity company has told me that they are applying to the DWP to have an amount taken from my ESA to pay back this debt...currently, the DWP are already taking about £7 a week for a loan, is there a specific amount they can take? I currently pay non-priority debts token payments of £1 per month.

I accept i owe this debt, as i have failed to meet the payment plans they set up for me, also due to disability i cannot have a PAYG meter and need to stick to a meter one (hence, i dont want them to force me into having a PAYG as they cost more and i simply cant afford i t as it is)...I have applied for a grant to help with this electricity debt but the creditor says they cannot wait for the outcome of that and asked me for my N.I. number to "get the ball rolling" with deductions to avoid court action, being dis-connected etc.....

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The maximum they can take is three third party payments at any given time. Third party payments for fuel are a maximum of £3.55 per deduction so that's a total maximum of £10.65 per week.

However, you mention a loan that is currently being deducted. If this is for a Social Fund loan, this is not classified as a third party payment because the Social Fund is not a third party; they are all part of the Department for Work and Pensions.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am confused.....I have just been awarded DLA for the next 5 years.....I understand that DLA is being replaced with "personal independance allowance" next year and everyone has to be re-assessed again....what was the point in awarding me DLA for 5 years if it not going to be in force?

Out of interest I have been having a look at that new benefit and how it is supposed to work for those who already have DLA.

I've come to the conclusion that if they carry on having this dual benefit, it will be with us for as long as it takes for the last person to live that is on it and who is 65 or older in April 2103.

So for someone who is 65 by next year and lives to the ripe old age of 95, DLA will be with us until 2043!!

Then we have the promise that those who are not 65 by April 2013 will all be re-assessed by October 2016.

You could very well have one old guy who is 65 in May 2013 being assessed in October 2016 by which time he will be going on for 69! How are they going to distinguish where his needs have arisen due to old age (Attendance Allowance should be claimed) and where those needs existed before he was 65?

And they have said that PIP is benefit for the those of working age.

The 65 year old man won't be assessed. People between 16 & 64 will be.

That is exactly what I said! Those that reach 65 after April 2013 will be assessed - in my example, the guy who is 65 in May 2013 will be and there is the strong possibility that he could be assessed for PIP at any time up to October 2016 when he would be 68 going on 69!!

What I was also trying to point out is that DLA, under present legislation will have to continue, in my example, for another 30 years - 2043 if someone is 65 by April 2013 and dies at age 95 - I cannot see that happening! PIP will have to be introduced for everyone when the 16 - 64 claimants have all been assessed by October 2016.

That is exactly what I said! Those that reach 65 after April 2013 will be assessed - in my example, the guy who is 65 in May 2013 will be and there is the strong possibility that he could be assessed for PIP at any time up to October 2016 when he would be 68 going on 69!!

What I was also trying to point out is that DLA, under present legislation will have to continue, in my example, for another 30 years - 2043 if someone is 65 by April 2013 and dies at age 95 - I cannot see that happening! PIP will have to be introduced for everyone when the 16 - 64 claimants have all been assessed by October 2016.

Let's not forget...

When PIP starts ? next year over a 3 or 4 year period people who on DLA now between 16 and 64.

When it's your turn you will be given a date when your DLA will Stop and your be invited to claim PIP from the date your DLA is stopped.

When you claim PIP you will not be paid or not until you had a medical.

Basically you will not get any money from date when your DLA is stopped until your medical with you know who !

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

It's people who are over 65 between April 2013 and 2016 who will not be assessed, Andy. (yes, I have just worked out who you are, again)

Who's Who ?

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

It's people who are over 65 between April 2013 and 2016 who will not be assessed, Andy. (yes, I have just worked out who you are, again)

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/personal-independence-payment-faqs.pdf

Personal Independence Payment will replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people of working age (by this we mean people over the age of 16 and under the age of 65 on 8 April 2013 when it will be introduced.)

Thanks, I'm sorry but you are wrong there.

The fixed criteria is that you have to be 65 on the day of introduction - 8th April 2013 for not to be assessed.

Where did you get your information from that it was if you were 65 at any time between April 2013 and 2016?

Hence the reason for my comments - that you could very well be 68 at least in 2016 yet only be 64 in April 2013 and have to be assessed for PIP!! Not all things come neatly wrapped up in paper and ribbon.

Who's Andy? Besides which I am female not male!

So if they stop one's DLA before PIP is awarded, they will have to do home assessments for all those at the moment on HRM.

Also as well as having to pay JSA for all the auto industry workers who will lose their jobs, they'll have to pay JSA for all those on DLA who work as they will not be able to work until they get PIP (which most will not get anyway).

This is going to cost more money than leaving it as is.

So if they stop one's DLA before PIP is awarded, they will have to do home assessments for all those at the moment on HRM.

Also as well as having to pay JSA for all the auto industry workers who will lose their jobs, they'll have to pay JSA for all those on DLA who work as they will not be able to work until they get PIP (which most will not get anyway).

I don't understand that.

The DLA award will not be stopped before PIP is awarded - the PIP payment would just take over where the DLA left off. The only time that DLA will cease is if you fail the PIP assessment.

What has JSA got to do with it?

And why the car manufacturers?

Those that work who currently receive DLA will still be able to work even if they lose out in the PIP assessment process.

Are you suggesting that the only thing that keeps people in work is if they receive DLA/PIP?

The extra money that DLA/PIP pays is probably helpful, but I doubt not being able to work isn't something most people will find that happens in the grand scheme of things.

I don't understand that.

The DLA award will not be stopped before PIP is awarded - the PIP payment would just take over where the DLA left off. The only time that DLA will cease is if you fail the PIP assessment.

What has JSA got to do with it?

And why the car manufacturers?

Those that work who currently receive DLA will still be able to work even if they lose out in the PIP assessment process.

Are you suggesting that the only thing that keeps people in work is if they receive DLA/PIP?

The extra money that DLA/PIP pays is probably helpful, but I doubt not being able to work isn't something most people will find that happens in the grand scheme of things.

Incorrect DLA will stop before PIP.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Disabledpeople/DG_201317

Aged 16 to 64

From 2013 to 2016, Personal Independence Payment will replace Disability Living Allowance for everyone of working age even if you've an indefinite or lifetime award. Working age means anyone aged 16 to 64 on the day that Personal Independence Payment is introduced. You'll need to make a claim for Personal Independence Payment instead. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will write to you between 2013 and 2016 to let you know when you can claim Personal Independence Payment.

You don't need to do anything now, DWP will contact you to let you know when your Disability Living Allowance will stop. They will tell you when and how you should make a claim for Personal Independence Payment.

There's no automatic entitlement to Personal Independence Payment. Entitlement is based on your personal circumstances and the impact that your condition or disability has on your ability to live independently. Entitlement will not depend on what health condition or disability you have.

The only exception is for people who are terminally ill and who are not expected to live for more than six months.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The whole point of DLA Mobility component what ever rate you get is to pay for help when your out about about Taxi fare,Petrol,Mobility car on HRM.

If your are Permanent house bound you should be receiving DLA Care component.

If your getting DLA Mobility component you should be able to attend ATSO medical to claim PIP unless you got something to hide !

2 main reason for PIP is to save money and weed out those who Never should have been entitled DLA Mobility component in the 1st place.

A medical or No PIP....

Edited by 45002

The who point of DLA Mobility component what ever rate you get is to pay for help when your out about about Taxi fare,Petrol,Mobility car on HRM.

If your getting DLA Mobility component you should be able to attend ATSO medical to claim PIP unless you got something to hide !

2 main reason for PIP is to save money and weed out those who Never should have been entitled DLA Mobility component in the 1st place.

A medical or No PIP....

Well said.

I know too many that openly challenge the DLA system.

One in particular was a guy who had AgeUK to help to fill out the claim form. He was awarded DLA. A few months later he turned up at the same AgeUK office offering to clean their windows!!!!

To say the least AgeUK informed the DWP of this individual who was subsequently filmed cleaning their office windows on the ground and first floors courtesy of an invitation to come along on the appointed day.

My goodness, della2, you seem to know a lot of people who've done dodgy things on benefits. Come to think of it, we've had quite a few new members passing through recently who also knew a lot of people who ... etc ... :???:

Incorrect DLA will stop before PIP.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Disabledpeople/DG_201317

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The whole point of DLA Mobility component what ever rate you get is to pay for help when your out about about Taxi fare,Petrol,Mobility car on HRM.

A medical or No PIP....

As you say, if you get DLA Mobility component you should (WOULD) be able to attend the ATOS medical to claim PIP, but when your DLA is stopped before you can claim PIP you won't be able to. It has nothing to do with having something to hide, it is to do with not being able to get there.

When I lose my DLA I will not be able to get out; I cannot afford Taxis, and can't walk to the bus stop. After 20 years of independance I'm not going to start asking for lifts all the time, I'll just stay at home.

Edited by count orlok

The car manufacturers because; The UK car industry WILL suffer the lose of 500,000+ cars and the dumping of the same number of nearly new cars on the second hand market. I don't thikg the lose of sales and maintenance work will help allot either.

The JSA is for all the people that will lose their jobs and the disabled who will be unable to work because of the lose of their DLA.

My goodness, della2, you seem to know a lot of people who've done dodgy things on benefits. Come to think of it, we've had quite a few new members passing through recently who also knew a lot of people who ... etc ... :???:

And if all these people who know all these people who are doing dodgy thing on benefits had reported them, millions would have been saved, and there would have been no need to cut the benefits of genuine people like they are (supposedly) having to.