Halifax Mortgage And Charges For Letters Sent

jennifer.mazzocchi

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5403 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In 1986 my partner (who just happened to be the Assistant Manager of the Leeds Permanent Building Society) and I took out an Endowment Mortgage with LPBS which was subsequently taken over by Halifax. My partner and I split up but the mortgage remained in joint names. I solely continued to pay what I subsequently discovered was interest only - I also discovered that the Endowment Policies had been taken out in his sole name and that I had no right of access to them. My ex partner, without my knowledge, received Shares from Halifax as he was first named on the mortgage. I got nowhere when I tried to challenge this! To cut a long story short, the house was sold earlier this year and we eventually reached agreement over the division of funds. However, in light of the charges I incurred - £25 for each letter they sent telling me I was late in paying the mortgage, I have written to Halifax requesting they refund these monies (as yet, don't know total amount). They have replied stating that any communication to them should be signed by both parties. I dont have a very good relationship with my ex partner (whose new wife is a money grabbing ...... so I am reluctant to contact him to ask for him to sign a letter. Although I suspect legally, he would be entitled to 50% of any refund in charges, is there any way I can pursue this as an individual (after all, I was named on the morgage, albeit my name was second) providing I agree to pay him 50% of any refund. Urgent advice needed please!

• 3 weeks later...

In 1986 my partner at the time and I purchased a property in joint names and took out a joint mortgage with what was then, Leeds Permanent Building Society, subsequently changing to Halifax plc. We subsequently went our separate ways and I continued to pay the mortgage despite it being in joint names. When LPBS was taken over, the Shares were allocated, without my knowledge, to my ex partner, who was first named on the mortgage. I wasn't too happy as you can imagine as he sold the shares and benefitted from the proceeds. However, to cut a long story short, I did over the years find it difficult sometimes to maintain the mortgage repayments (an Endowment Mortgage - again, he held and paid for the Endowment policies which I also discovered were in his joint name) as a result of which several charges were applied to the mortgage when they sent out letters to me (well us, because despite the fact he didn't live there, nor was he making any contribution - the mortgage was still in joint names). These charges were at £25 a time and I feel sure there are quite a few of them.

I have written to Halifax requesting they refund these charges but they have replied by saying the application should be signed by both parties and if they do consider any refund both parties will need to sign accepting these. As I don't have a particularly good relationship with my ex, this is not goiing to be an easy task and if I succeed in getting any refund, knowing him for the money grabbing person he is, he will want half. I have written back to Halifax asking them to provide a copy of my original agreement to his receiving the full entitlement of Shares and am awaiting their response. I have reluctantly also written to my ex asking him to sign an authority - I have given him 3 options - 1) for any refund of charges to be paid to me in full (I am hopeful ha ha) 2) for any refund of charges to be divided equally between the two of us or 3) for any refund of charges to be divided between myself and my daughter. I have sent this recorded delivery to him. However, how do I proceed if he doesn't give his authority - quite possible given our relationship - can I still pursue Halifax? Any advice from anyone would be much appreciated.

• 4 months later...

Threads moved and moved to mortgage forum.

I am not a legal expert my advice is given without prejudice and is purely my opinion only. If you are in doubt please seek professional advice.