Jump to content


H&S Constructive Dismissal

Recommended Posts

Hi all,


I work in a private residential development for the management company.

On two occasions I have been subjected to violence in the workplace, once by a visitor and once by a resident.


When the visitor threatened me, police were called by my manager and it was dealt with properly.

Almost identical situation six months later but this time a leaseholder,

the manager refused to call the police, didn't speak to the man and then went on to issue me with a final written warning.


There is video evidence and I did nothing wrong but because I refused to turn my back on a man who was threatening me, I am on a final written warning even though there is video evidence of the whole thing recorded by a third party.


I have been told by ACAS that for contrcutive dismissal you have to work for your employer for two years, even if it is H&S.

They have advised the Whistleblower route which I know very little about.


I have had to hand in my notice as I can't work for a company that has no concern for my safety.

I have been misadvised by ACAS previously so just wanted to clarify the two year thing?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Citizens Advice also seem to think you need to have worked for the employer for 2 years before you can bring a CD claim to an Employment Tribunal




How long have you worked for them for?


I don't understand what you mean by "...because I refused to turn my back on a man who was threatening me, I am on a final written warning..". Could you explain a bit more?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I asked a man to put his dog on a lead, which is my job. He followed me screaming abuse and threatening to hit me so I couldn't turn my back or risk being attacked physically. If I had ran away, I would ahve been accused of leaving the area without dealing with a situation. Because I didn't just walk away, I was accused of making the situation worse even though I didn't raise my voice or react in any way. When he walked away from me I left the area and reported it. It is all on video.


I have worked for them for just over a year.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have looked at the CAB website and if it is an automatic reason then it's less than two years ie H&S....... but ACAS have said something else but they advised me incorrectly previously.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

We live in a society going towards full americanization, excuse the made up word.

Companies will happily sack an employee who's been attacked by a customer if they receive a complaint.

I had to defend 2 similar cases this year.

They were both "saved" with a final written warning despite the union disinterest.

Regarding your case, you have now resigned, so not much you can do.

Use this as a learning point.

If you are ever attacked or abused during your employment, don't complain to your bosses first, complain to the police, then your bosses.

They tempt to be a bit more reasonable when the matter has been referred to the police.

And don't even think to put yourself in danger just for the sake of a job, if someone physically attacks you, defend yourself.

As long as you use reasonable force, you won't be doing anything wrong.

Put them on the floor, block them and call the police.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I called the police myself after my employer made it clear they wouldn’t. Unfortunately it took the police five weeks to speak to the perpetrator and then didn’t take it any further. I went through the appeal procedure and they upheld the final written warning. I have raised a grievance which hasn’t yet been dealt with and only acknowledged once I handed in my notice.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, you have resigned now, so unless you want to invest a lot of time and some money to have a little (not guaranteed) victory, I suggest you learn your lesson and move on.

If you are ever in a similar situation, workers have many weapons at their disposal (whistleblowing, grievance, counselling which may suggest sick leave, etc.)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

we Tried all of the above. Totally ignored by employer.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lizzie, did you raise a grievance over this?



People in the know should be along later to comment, but I'm thinking maybe you could speak to a no win no fee [NWNF] lawyer and see what they think. If they're willing to take your case then they think you have a chance and if they don't, you have your answer.




Illegitimi non carborundum




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The grievance was not upheld as we knew it wouldn't be. We have responded as they have not answered the questions raised and refusing to admit it was violence at work as defined by HSE. It was a very aggressive person making threats and screaming abuse, invading space but they have acted from a customer service side rather than as an employer.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you were subjected to a detriment after you raised the grievance and issue, regarding say for example the health and safety of a worker (you), there may be a Whistleblowing claim - which does not require a qualifying service period.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is your job to tell the man to put his dog on a lead then you have a whistleblowing Claim You definitely do NOT have a constructive dismissal Claim You could still bring a Claim for Protected Disclosure




However, there is time limit issue



When did the man/dog issue occur? The other side would try and claim that time limit starts from that incident

But time limit for victimization starts from the failure to uphold your complaint



You weakened your case by resigning too quickA judge would see your Claim as someone who regretted his action of resigning

Edited by honeybee13

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Please fill in your quit date here

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • well what they send before was well below the required stuff. defence is not due till/by 4pm may 3rd.   so incomplete / failure of previous CCA request simply needs to be added to our std holding /no paperwork defence re the way to search here detailed in post 33.   something like   Particulars of Claim  (1)The Defendant entered into a consumer crediticon Act 1974 regulated agreement with Vanquis under account reference xxxxxxxxxx  (2)The Defendant failed to maintain the required payments and a default notice was served and not complied with.  (3) The Agreement was later assigned to the Claimant on 30/09/2014 and notice was given to the Defendant.  (4)Despite repeated requests for payment, the sum of £1,597.56 remains due and outstanding.  And the Claimant claims   (a)The said sum of £1,597.56   (b) interest pursuant to s69 County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum   from the date of assignment to the date of issue,accruing at a daily rate of £0.350,  but limited to one year,being £127.80 (costs) then signed by Lowell Solicitors Limited.  #####Defence###### The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature.  The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.    2. Paragraph 1 is noted. I have in the past had an agreement with [insert original creditor]  but do not recognise this specific account number or recollect any outstanding debt and have therefore requested clarification by way of a CPR 31.14 and section 78 request..    3. Paragraph 2 is denied I have not been served with a Default Notice pursuant to the consumer credit Act 1974.    4. Paragraph 3 is denied. I am unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment pursuant to the Law and Property Act 1925 Section 136(1)    5. On receipt of the claim form, the Defendant sent a request by way of a section 78 pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974, for a copy of the agreement, the Claimant has yet to comply and remains in default of said request.  The claimant has since complied and disclosed various documents however unable to comply with disclosing a valid full copy of the executed agreement on which their claim relies upon.    6. A further request made via CPR 31.14 to the claimants solicitor, requesting disclosure of documents on which the Claimant is basing their claim. The claimant has not complied, but has stated a general extension of time to retrieve the documents, to date nothing has been received.    7. It is therefore not accepted with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant and the Claimant is put to strict proof to:  a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement and;  b) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for and;  c) show the nature of the breach and evidence by way of a Default Notice pursuant to sec 88 CCA1974  d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim    8. As per Civil Procedure 16.5 it is expected that the claimants prove the allegation that the money is owed    9. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of section 136 of the Law of Property Act and section 82A of the Consumer Credit Act 1974    10. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.    
    • I can’t help but think that we’re massively over complicating things here, pick up the phone and ask to speak with the PM. Explain the issue and ask them to sort it out. I could solve 99.999999% of problems within an hour or so provided someone actually told me what the problem was. By the time I was receiving letters spanning several pages and having to dig through notes and speak to people to get their accounts of what happened it could take weeks to gather the info and get replies from everyone. Just pick up the phone at lunchtime on Tuesday, ask for the PM and if they’re unavailable ask when they can be contacted and speak to them so they have an opportunity to resolve what is probably a very simple issue rather than trawling out weeks of waiting. 
    • it would not take much for the present owner of the CO to get that changed to their name. as far as I am aware, if the property is sold, then it will need paying.   whos the owner now or more correctly, whose been sending letters and what do they say? bet DLC is in the mix...
    • This was the result of a CCJ   The house is jointly owned, but the loan was in both names (at the insistence of Black Horse).   The house is also a shared ownership property, so we own half of it and a housing association owns the other half.
  • Our picks

    • This is a bit of a lengthy one but I’ll summerise best as possible.
      I was contacted by future comms by phone, they stated that they could beat any phone contract I have , (I am a limited company but just myself that needs a business phone and I am the only worker) 
      I told future comms my deal, £110 per month with a phone and a virtual landline, they confirmed that they could beat that, £90 per month with a phone , virtual landline  they also confirmed they would pay Vodafone (previous provider) the termination fee. As I am in business, naturally I was open to making a deal. So we proceeded. 
      Future comms then revealed that the contract would be with PLAN.COM and the airtime would be provided by 02, I instantly told them that this would break the deal as I have poor 02 signal in the house where I live as my partner is on 02 and constantly complaining about bad signal
      the salesman assured me he would send a signal booster box out with the phone so I would have perfect signal.
      so far so good.....
      i then explained this is the only mobile phone I use for business and pleasure, so therefore I didn’t want any disconnection time in the slightest between the switchover from Vodafone to 02
      the salesman then confirmed that the existing phone would only be disconnected once the new phone was switched on.
      so far so good....
      • 14 replies
    • A shocking story of domestic and economic abuse compounded by @BarclaysUKHelp ‏ bank complicity – coming soon @A_Gentle_Woman. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/415737-a-shocking-story-of-domestic-and-economic-abuse-compounded-by-barclaysukhelp-%E2%80%8F-bank-complicity-%E2%80%93-coming-soon-a_gentle_woman/
      • 0 replies
    • The FSA has announced large fines against DB UK Bank Limited (trading as DB Mortgages) - DeutscheBank and also against Redstone for their unfair treatment of their customers.
      Please see the links below for summaries and full details from the FSA website.
      It is now completely clear that any arrears charges which exceed actual administrative costs are unfair and therefore unlawful.
      Furthemore, irresponsible lending practices are also unfair and unlawful.
      Additionally there are other unfair practices including unarranged counsellor visits - even if they have been attempted.
      You are entitled to refuse counsellor visits and not incur any charges.
      Any charges for counsellor visits must not seek to make profits. The cost of the visits must be passed on to you at cost price.
      We are hearing stories of people being charged for counsellor visits for which there is no evidence that they were even attempted.
      It is clear that some mortgage lenders are trying to cheat you out of your money.
      You should ascertain how much has been taken from you and claim it back. The chances of winning are better than 90%. It is highly likely that the lender will attempt to avoid court action and offer you back your money.
      However, you should ensure that you receive a proper rate of interest and this means that you should be seeking at least restitutionary damages - which would be much higher than the statutory 8%.
      Furthermore, you should assess whether the paying of demands for unlawful excessive charges has also out you further into arrears and if this has caused you further penalties in terms of extra interest or any other prejudice. This should be claimed as well.
      If excessive unlawful charges have resulted in your credit file being affected, then you should take this into account also when working out exactly what you want by way of remedy from the lender.
      You should consult others on these forums when considering any offer.
      You must not make any complaint through the Ombudsman. your time will be wasted, you will wait up to 2 yrs and there will be a minimal 8% award of interest and no account will be taken of any other damage you have suffered.
      You must make your complaint through the County Court for a rapid and effective remedy.

      Do you have a mortage arears claim to make? Then post your story on the forum here
      • 0 replies
    • 30 Day Right To Reject - Vehicle Casualty Report. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/415585-30-day-right-to-reject-vehicle-casualty-report/
      • 57 replies
  • Create New...