style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 966 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My understanding is that the payments were made before the due date but that the computer failed to lock them because it expected payments to be made exactly on the due date.

Maybe we need some clarification from the OP

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sgtbush

- I had never had a payment plan before this one.

It was set up on the phone. It wasn't confirmed in writing. I had nothing to refer to in terms of them needing me to pay on a specific day each month. It was not something I was aware of.

I made payment each month and had no idea that any payment around the 'due' date would be considered non-payment. If payment was manually handled human common sense would apply ie that they had received payment.

In this case we are all dealing with computers and they don't register anything other than what has been input.

• 1 month later...

Are British Gas workmen/ meter readers allowed to climb over padlocked gates to gain access onto private residential property to check/ read a meter?

No debt and meter reading provided recently.

No prior written request.

when was the last time they saw the meter?

there is a remit that they must inspect the meter esp Gas every two years for safety.

now if this allows climbing over a gate is another matter.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

the inspection is merely them seeing the meter whilst they read it

so if that has taken place then no they don't need to write

but if it hadn't then yes they would and most probably with a warrant attached to it which you cant object too.

as for climbing a gate, no ofcourse that's not right. a high gate or one thigh high you can sort of step over?

though regardless to the size it being padlocked? means to me no entry please!!

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

A high gate. chest high?

So within 2y someone from utility co has seen and read meter.

Every now and again a letter is received which says national grid wants to replace the meter - but no-one ever turns up!

Yes - padlocked means No Entry!!

don't think it right they climb a gate of that height no

oh and I bet it wasn't BG either

they farm meter reading out.

and they

Was the meter fitted on outside external wall or in the house?

Most meter readers don't go to extent of climbing gates, just leave a card requesting occupant to supply a meter reading, which can be entered on-line.

Anyone requiring access can apply for a Court Warrant of Entry.

when was the last time they saw the meter?

there is a remit that they must inspect the meter esp Gas every two years for safety.

now if this allows climbing over a gate is another matter.

“there is a remit that they must inspect the meter esp Gas every two years for safety.” is wrong since February 2016, but it USED to be correct.

The requirement is an inspection by someone GasSafe registered, not only by the utility provider.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/decision-reforming-suppliers-meter-inspection-obligations

“Our decision is to repeal the two-yearly meter inspection licence conditions in gas and electricity in their entirety. We consider other legal obligations to be more effective and efficient tools for achieving the policy objectives”

We have a gas boiler. We get it serviced annually by a GasSafe registered engineer.

ScottishPower (or their contracted meter readers from G4S) tried all sorts of guff.

In the end I got in writing:

“A meter reader should visit on a biannual cycle to perform this check, you are not however, obligated to allow access for either the check or indeed the read to be taken.

Most boiler services would include a gas safety check as standard (or should do) to confirm that there are no gas leaks between the meter and the boiler and to ensure the gas is at the correct pressure.

Meter readers are not employed directly by ScottishPower, they come from a third party on a cyclic schedule and as stated above you have no obligation to allow access if your meters are indoors.”

and then:

“I have spoken with my manager and he is under the same impression as myself that we can ask for access, however, you are under no obligation to permit access to anyone.”

We tell them “do one” every time the meter reader trots out “you have to let me in”, and say “we are happy to send them photos showing the readings we submit are correct and the meters aren’t tampered with. We get an annual inspection by a GasSafe engineer. If you want to insist on coming in, come back with a warrant”.

It hasn’t happened yet.

Was the meter fitted on outside external wall or in the house?

Most meter readers don't go to extent of climbing gates, just leave a card requesting occupant to supply a meter reading, which can be entered on-line.

Anyone requiring access can apply for a Court Warrant of Entry.

But would have to show grounds for why the court should authorise a warrant.

OP, are you a tenant or owner-occupier?

If a tenant, the LL has additional obligations.

tnx the update bazz didn't know that

and they

Here is the Ofgem link on what BazzaS refers to in post#11:

Decision on reforming suppliers’ meter inspection obligations: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/decision-reforming-suppliers-meter-inspection-obligations

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If he had fallen and broke his neck or you had beaten the person to death then I'm sure the HSE would have to investigate their processes but as the trespass caused no damage you will be reliant on the incident causing distress or fear and then seek either a prosecution or damages for the same. At thsi point BG will claim that they use self-employed people so they arent responsible etc.

Personally I would go after BG for say £500 for the distress and fear bit because they are likely to pay out that sum without the embarrassment of actually having to face you in court. They will probably offer you £50 as a gogw to begin with

• 2 years later...

BG have written this week to advise haven't replied to letters or received payment so they are applying for warrant to remove meter.

Have just spoken to BG and they say they actually applied for warrant the day before their letter is dated

Have several recent webchat transcripts with BG and have been paying £10/month due to hardship.

BG just say that's not enough as the debt is large - over £1k - and has been large for a long time.

Haven't been in the property for more than 2y and the debt is for usage up to that point.

The letter says 'what will happen if we don't hear from you' - that their 'application for warrant of entry will be heard at court.  You can go to hearing and make representations against their application'.

The letter also says you 'have the right to ask for a hearing to take place at a court in your local area....  If you wish to do this please call xxx within 21 days from the date of this letter or complete enclosed form and send it to .....   A local court hearing will be arranged.    If you do not ask for a court hearing the case will be heard in your absence without any further notice.'

The letter continues to say ' if warrant granted, it will allow them to enter your property to fit a pay as you go meter w/o giving you any notice.  From the date the warrant is granted we have 28 days to do this'.

The letter also states 'you can stop all of this happening if you call before 5pm the night before the warrant visit and pay what owe.

When you call they can also discuss ways to manage the account'.

The letter also has a section which says - if you are having trouble paying in full we can help.  call us as there are lots of ways we can help'

So BG just said they already applied for warrant on 18/07.  That is a Sunday and is the day before their letter is dated.

BG said the court hearing date - remote - is already fixed for 09/08 and the date for execution already set for 16/08.

This doesn't seem correct.

What can be done?

let them do it? is the premises occupied?

and they

The property should be unoccupied.

The debt relates to arrears - my usage up to a date.

There should have been zero usage from that date.

edf and tw have been very supportive - I pay them nominal amount monthly. 

But BG have refused to allow me to set up a nominal monthly amount.    I just started paying them £10 without a payment plan just so they were getting some £s and to try prevent this situation.

Should I just let them remove it and fit a prepayment meter?    I would prefer they do not remove the meter - my absence is temporary, albeit extended.

But I do also see potential benefits.

If I could afford to repay in full now I would.   Reduced circumstances and covid lack of work prevents.

If they would allow me 6 months of nominal payments I would continue - with a view to hopeful changed circumstances which would allow to repay in full thereafter.   That is what I requested.   Interestingly their webchat suggested £165/m would work for them (altho thats impossible for me).   

Yet the warrants dept rep was very aggressive and said that is not possible - they just want to get the warrant and replace the meter.

Of course, they are making the situation worse by adding £160 costs to 'my' debt.

This situation is a tiny part of a much much larger issue.

The property should not have been occupied and no utilities should have been used.  The reality is that 'others' did occupy and use utilities, and worse, the property was completely destroyed - illegally and on purpose.   Its very complicated - but it is being resolved legally.  Hopefully with a positive resolution within 6 months.   

At which point the £ difference in between readings would be cleared by the other party.  And the compensation would clear my debts.  Which is why i have asked for  further 6 months.   

I haven't disclosed the larger issue as it would be too complicated and I just did not want to go there.  Its so (too) stressful.

I would just prefer to retain the old normal meter and in 2022 continue as before.

The potential benefit to allowing BG to remove existing meter and replace with prepayment is that the meter will remain in my name, BG will provide me with a prepayment key, and no-one else will be able to illegally use the supply until the wider legal issue is resolved.

Replacing the meter will crystalize the amount owed as of the removal date.  However, the amount is going to be much larger due to 'others' usage.   And that much larger amount - probably many 000s now - will be added to my debt / credit file  - until the wider legal issue is resolved....

I guess I am wondering if I could ask the warrant court hearing to grant the 6 months reprieve to allow the wider legal issue to be resolved?

Let them install the prepayment meter, as the debt will be added to the meter.  if you are not there to use supplies, then you won't be paying toward the debt. 

In tbe future, if you are in a better position, then reduce the debt to a level where BG would not block any swtich and arrange new supply contract with another company asking for the meter to be changed back.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

the debt was apx 1500.

I suspect that it is probably going to be 5k+ usage by 'others'.  That amount will be added to my name.  

BG will freak when they see the real reading

Just as an aside - the meter is external.  There's a low locked gate and a few steps.  Would BG climb over?  Or would they use a locksmith to break the gate lock?

if there is no external gas tap in the meter box to shut off the supply before they remove the meter and cap the feed pipe, then home would be entered . they typically enter the home too anyway to ensure that no gas central heating is present and shut it off 1st too.

external gates /gardens are not regarded as 'property'

if the warrant states as you have said removal , the above will happen regardless. i'd not go for a PP meter as that will result in standing charges. let them cap it. wont add to your bill going forward until/unless you wish to re-establish connection.

and they

Pipe, meter and lever are all external.

BG said intention is to replace existing with prepayment meter

Property is now alarmed.

Are you suggesting they may go inside anyway?

Edited by HP Mum

i would inform BG that the property is vacant ALL gas appliances are disconnected from the gas supply or isolated/off, else they will force entry upon safety reasons.

and they