Jump to content

Employment issues 'dismissal'

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 194 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Hi All,


I wonder if anyone out there can give me some advice on how to deal with my predicament?


I should mention before I continue that I worked for the company for 3 years before my dismissal


In May of this year I was dismissed from work for gross misconduct, the reason for the dismissal was I did not fulfil my contracted hours ‘my timekeeping was not what it should have been’


Prior to this there was no complaint about my timekeeping nor was I give a formal warning or undergone any disciplinary / capability hearings. My work did not suffer because of this and someday I would start work from home.


I was sent a letter to attending a meeting where I was told I would be suspended without pay. I should mention that I have worked for the company for 3 at this point.


After 10 days I received a WhatsApp message to attend another meeting, in this meeting I was dismissed.


A few days after my dismissal I was called back to attend another meeting, which resulted in my re-instatement (this re-instatement involved me doing the same job with additional responsibility for less money, which I agreed to although none of this was in writing).


I was told that in this new role they would be a probationary period of 3 months.


After the 3 month I was told that I failed the probationary period and that my service would no longer be required, no complaint or feedback on my work was mentioned during the probationary period.


I guess my questions are:

· Is the gross misconduct ‘gross misconduct’?

· Was the correct procedure followed by my employer?

· Was I re-instated under the same T&Cs – I never receive a new contract or JD?


I am a union member should I approach the union on this matter?


Thanks for your help in advance

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

was it gross misconduct? unlikely, the ACAS code ahs a number fo steps they are supposed to follow and timescales for these.

As for suspension without pay- unlawful

dismissal and reinstatement, well that is continuous employment so the current dismissal without neotice would be unlawful.

What do you want from all of this? If it is a cash settlement based on monies owed to yu that will be simple, you will be owed at least 3 weeks salary and accrued holiday apy plus any money not paid during your suspension. use the previous higher salary to calculate your figures.



should you approach your union of this? You should ahve got them involved from the day you were suspended, you are now trying to play catch up from a rather poor position when you could have had them over a barrel from the time of suspension.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks for your response.



Is there a template letter that i can used to seting out formal grievance for unpaid commission, unlawful deduction of wages?



even though I was dismissed and reinstated, working on old contract as no other was given and no t&cs for the new role.



Thanks again.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites




We don't have template letters to cover what you're describing because every case is different. What you could do is post up a draft of what you want to send [remove any identifying details] and we can help you to refine it.




Illegitimi non carborundum




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You ask "I am a union member should I approach the union on this matter?"


Yes! I am, to put it mildly, astonished that you have been through all this without your union supporting and advising you. What on earth is the point of paying them a membership fee if they don't support you in something as serious as this!


When your company invited you to the formal disciplinary meeting at which you were dismissed the law requires them to tell you that you can be accompanied by your union rep. Did they? If not that's one breach of procedure for starters


Get them to earn their money and support you now.

  • Haha 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

What evidence is there that you were reinstated? Because the dismissal is history, no matter what was right or wrong. It was in May. It's the end of September. Three months less a day is the tribunal deadline. So the employer says that they were willing to forgive and forget, offer you a job at lower pay, and THERE WAS A BREAK between employments. So you have no right to claim unfair dismissal. How would you disprove that version of events? Because they appear to have evidenced to support it.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks I did engage the union who has now finally come-up with a formal letter which has been sent to my previous employers.



Any response I receive will be posted.



Thanks for your help thus far.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you would seek to argue that the reinstatement results in a continuation of employment.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would argue that the first dismissal was a sham Although the employer would argue that you accepted it


The tribunal recognizes there isn't equal bargaining power in employment relationships


Currently, you have little information so I would suggest you make a SAR pThat would give you a little more info and strengthen your position

Edited by honeybee13

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
I would argue that the first dismissal was a sham Although the employer would argue that you accepted it



Which would render the claim out of time......

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The OP has not yet said s/he is taking legal action


However, if that is the way s/he is going then s/he could make the SAR and take legal action without waiting


SAR would give more info and that is what is needed at this time


When was the employment terminated?


Has the OP contacted ACAS?


If not, then s/he should make the SAR and by the time ACAS conciliation is over s/he would have the required info

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am an employer, and from my side, the dismissal of an employee is a common thing, but only if he systematically violates discipline. I do not know how this happens in your company, but if you didn’t have any complaints or gross violations, I don’t understand your management at all. Almost all the years of our company, we use software to monitor the actions of employees , and we are always sure if our staff is guilty or not. I can advise you to find like-minded people and write a collective complaint, perhaps the management will take it into account

Edited by Andyorch

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have contacted ACAS and I'm waiting on the outcome of this.


I have since discovered that this has happened before to a previous employee who just walked away without raising a grievance.


So I guess they think this is normal behaver and this is how to treat their employees

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • well what they send before was well below the required stuff. defence is not due till/by 4pm may 3rd.   so incomplete / failure of previous CCA request simply needs to be added to our std holding /no paperwork defence re the way to search here detailed in post 33.   something like   Particulars of Claim  (1)The Defendant entered into a consumer crediticon Act 1974 regulated agreement with Vanquis under account reference xxxxxxxxxx  (2)The Defendant failed to maintain the required payments and a default notice was served and not complied with.  (3) The Agreement was later assigned to the Claimant on 30/09/2014 and notice was given to the Defendant.  (4)Despite repeated requests for payment, the sum of £1,597.56 remains due and outstanding.  And the Claimant claims   (a)The said sum of £1,597.56   (b) interest pursuant to s69 County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum   from the date of assignment to the date of issue,accruing at a daily rate of £0.350,  but limited to one year,being £127.80 (costs) then signed by Lowell Solicitors Limited.  #####Defence###### The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature.  The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.    2. Paragraph 1 is noted. I have in the past had an agreement with [insert original creditor]  but do not recognise this specific account number or recollect any outstanding debt and have therefore requested clarification by way of a CPR 31.14 and section 78 request..    3. Paragraph 2 is denied I have not been served with a Default Notice pursuant to the consumer credit Act 1974.    4. Paragraph 3 is denied. I am unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment pursuant to the Law and Property Act 1925 Section 136(1)    5. On receipt of the claim form, the Defendant sent a request by way of a section 78 pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974, for a copy of the agreement, the Claimant has yet to comply and remains in default of said request.  The claimant has since complied and disclosed various documents however unable to comply with disclosing a valid full copy of the executed agreement on which their claim relies upon.    6. A further request made via CPR 31.14 to the claimants solicitor, requesting disclosure of documents on which the Claimant is basing their claim. The claimant has not complied, but has stated a general extension of time to retrieve the documents, to date nothing has been received.    7. It is therefore not accepted with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant and the Claimant is put to strict proof to:  a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement and;  b) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for and;  c) show the nature of the breach and evidence by way of a Default Notice pursuant to sec 88 CCA1974  d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim    8. As per Civil Procedure 16.5 it is expected that the claimants prove the allegation that the money is owed    9. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of section 136 of the Law of Property Act and section 82A of the Consumer Credit Act 1974    10. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.    
    • I can’t help but think that we’re massively over complicating things here, pick up the phone and ask to speak with the PM. Explain the issue and ask them to sort it out. I could solve 99.999999% of problems within an hour or so provided someone actually told me what the problem was. By the time I was receiving letters spanning several pages and having to dig through notes and speak to people to get their accounts of what happened it could take weeks to gather the info and get replies from everyone. Just pick up the phone at lunchtime on Tuesday, ask for the PM and if they’re unavailable ask when they can be contacted and speak to them so they have an opportunity to resolve what is probably a very simple issue rather than trawling out weeks of waiting. 
    • it would not take much for the present owner of the CO to get that changed to their name. as far as I am aware, if the property is sold, then it will need paying.   whos the owner now or more correctly, whose been sending letters and what do they say? bet DLC is in the mix...
    • This was the result of a CCJ   The house is jointly owned, but the loan was in both names (at the insistence of Black Horse).   The house is also a shared ownership property, so we own half of it and a housing association owns the other half.
  • Our picks

    • This is a bit of a lengthy one but I’ll summerise best as possible.
      I was contacted by future comms by phone, they stated that they could beat any phone contract I have , (I am a limited company but just myself that needs a business phone and I am the only worker) 
      I told future comms my deal, £110 per month with a phone and a virtual landline, they confirmed that they could beat that, £90 per month with a phone , virtual landline  they also confirmed they would pay Vodafone (previous provider) the termination fee. As I am in business, naturally I was open to making a deal. So we proceeded. 
      Future comms then revealed that the contract would be with PLAN.COM and the airtime would be provided by 02, I instantly told them that this would break the deal as I have poor 02 signal in the house where I live as my partner is on 02 and constantly complaining about bad signal
      the salesman assured me he would send a signal booster box out with the phone so I would have perfect signal.
      so far so good.....
      i then explained this is the only mobile phone I use for business and pleasure, so therefore I didn’t want any disconnection time in the slightest between the switchover from Vodafone to 02
      the salesman then confirmed that the existing phone would only be disconnected once the new phone was switched on.
      so far so good....
      • 14 replies
    • A shocking story of domestic and economic abuse compounded by @BarclaysUKHelp ‏ bank complicity – coming soon @A_Gentle_Woman. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/415737-a-shocking-story-of-domestic-and-economic-abuse-compounded-by-barclaysukhelp-%E2%80%8F-bank-complicity-%E2%80%93-coming-soon-a_gentle_woman/
      • 0 replies
    • The FSA has announced large fines against DB UK Bank Limited (trading as DB Mortgages) - DeutscheBank and also against Redstone for their unfair treatment of their customers.
      Please see the links below for summaries and full details from the FSA website.
      It is now completely clear that any arrears charges which exceed actual administrative costs are unfair and therefore unlawful.
      Furthemore, irresponsible lending practices are also unfair and unlawful.
      Additionally there are other unfair practices including unarranged counsellor visits - even if they have been attempted.
      You are entitled to refuse counsellor visits and not incur any charges.
      Any charges for counsellor visits must not seek to make profits. The cost of the visits must be passed on to you at cost price.
      We are hearing stories of people being charged for counsellor visits for which there is no evidence that they were even attempted.
      It is clear that some mortgage lenders are trying to cheat you out of your money.
      You should ascertain how much has been taken from you and claim it back. The chances of winning are better than 90%. It is highly likely that the lender will attempt to avoid court action and offer you back your money.
      However, you should ensure that you receive a proper rate of interest and this means that you should be seeking at least restitutionary damages - which would be much higher than the statutory 8%.
      Furthermore, you should assess whether the paying of demands for unlawful excessive charges has also out you further into arrears and if this has caused you further penalties in terms of extra interest or any other prejudice. This should be claimed as well.
      If excessive unlawful charges have resulted in your credit file being affected, then you should take this into account also when working out exactly what you want by way of remedy from the lender.
      You should consult others on these forums when considering any offer.
      You must not make any complaint through the Ombudsman. your time will be wasted, you will wait up to 2 yrs and there will be a minimal 8% award of interest and no account will be taken of any other damage you have suffered.
      You must make your complaint through the County Court for a rapid and effective remedy.

      Do you have a mortage arears claim to make? Then post your story on the forum here
      • 0 replies
    • 30 Day Right To Reject - Vehicle Casualty Report. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/415585-30-day-right-to-reject-vehicle-casualty-report/
      • 57 replies
  • Create New...