BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• Ok, I will get on to that and send her another letter to this effect. She may not respond, but we will have to cross that bridge when it comes to it
    • Sorry for the late reply.    if you have done your SAR and the complaint has been logged, you may have some success yet.   i has a car about the same time, was also missold. Even though I had a payout due to redundancy.   wrote directly to DAF, address can be found on here. With details of claim, interest calculations and payout deducted, which they turned down. In my case it was clear a different hand had completed the paperwork.    Complaint ultimately rejected.   entered a county court claim, no defence from DAF / Provident. Asked for a CCJ which also not defended. Court upheld and got cheque in the post a few months later.    they could have settled for less, avoided court fees and put a gagging order on me. But hey ho!   keep at it!
    • Warning Describes modern day bubonic plague outbreaks - describes current 'real world' examples of the mechanism of transfer to humans in our current world.   https://www.acsh.org/news/2017/10/14/black-death-rages-madagascar-11961       Also (NOTE eradication term used) : "Since the eradication of smallpox, there have been increases in poxvirus infections and the emergence of several novel poxviruses that can infect humans and domestic animals."   "Recently, several novel poxviruses have been discovered after infecting humans and/or domestic animals [22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31], including three newly proposed OPXV species: two isolated in Europe and one isolated in North America. Orthopoxvirus Abatino (OPVA) was isolated in Italy during an outbreak in captive macaques in 2015 and from a fatal infection in a cat in 2017 [28,29,31]. Another novel proposed OPXV, Ahkmeta virus (AKMV), was identified in three humans in the country of Georgia in 2010 and 2013 [22,27]. "   "In 2015, a novel poxvirus was isolated from a resident of Alaska [30]. Phylogenetic analysis of several highly conserved genes suggested that the Alaska isolate was a member of the OPXV genus but was highly diverged from known OPXV species [30]. "   https://www.mdpi.com/1999-4915/11/8/708/htm  
    • Thank you Bazza. My only point with the NHS link was about hand washing and how quite a few of us may not be doing it as effectively as we might.   HB
    • HB, the advice for people in their homes and for healthcare workers will be quite different.   Homes: handwashing, “cough Hygiene” (and “sneeze hygiene”), and limit contacts with the unwell. Likely people will want to use masks, but ordinary surgical masks won’t do much against small droplets, only larger droplets / secretions. FFP3 masks offer protection but are more appropriate to the healthcare setting (See below for why)   healthcare : expect use of PPE. Faceshields or goggles, to prevent secretion splashed to the eyes. Water impervious aprons to protect clothing (to avoid later transfer from clothes to self) FFP3 masks (the difference being that in the healthcare setting FFP3 users should be ‘fit tested’ so know how to get the mask fitted to them as an individual, and know how to get the mask on and off without contaminating their hands). Gloves will feature, not instead of hand washing, but for getting the FFP3 masks on and off safely, prior to hand washing on mask removal. (During the SARS episode in Toronto there was a shortage of FFP3 masks. People would re-use masks as there weren’t enough for a fresh one every time. Hence the need to protect oneself on putting on the mask, too. if there is a similar outbreak of 2019-nCoV, the same limited supplies can be expected.)   Hope this helps. I’m not going to get into protracted argument or discussion here, take this info if you wish, don’t if you don’t want to.
  • Our picks

Aaron85

Work asking for GP letter - advice on working conditions?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 492 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I have been working in a call centre for almost a year. I have always sat in an area where there are no bright lights as the lighting would sometimes give me headaches. Prior to a couple of weeks ago, no one had questioned why I sat there. Two weeks ago, my team was appointed a new manager as the previous manager had moved to a different department. My new manager has made me move to an area where there are bright lights and the headaches have returned. My manager has told me she can let me sit in the designated dark area (area specifically designed for people that suffer with issues caused by lighting) as long as I can provide a note from my doctor.

I went to see my doctor but he just fobbed me off by saying he couldn't write a note to my employer as I had not mentioned the issue previously. He also advised me that if he was to provide a letter, it would be chargeable at £35 per letter as it's non-NHS work.

I told my manager I could get a letter from my GP but it would cost £35 and asked whether the company would pay for the costs, to which she said they would not.

I think my GP would write me a letter since I have explained I've had headaches since I've been sitting in the brightly lit area.

Is there anyway I could avoid the £35 fee, or somehow force the company to pay for it since they are the ones that want it?

Or any other way I could get them to allow me to sit in the dark area?

Are there any working rights I can advise my manager of that look into working conditions and safety of their employees?

Thx

Nope the fee is what the doc decides to charge. It isn't an nhs fee. Some docs charge more.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

You could ask for your employer to refer you to the occupational health department

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Good idea from Renegade.

Do you have an optician who would help?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Aaron, you weren’t fobbed off - asking the GP to write to confirm something they know nothing of and then signing it means that they’re confirming what they’ve written. In this case all they could write is “the patient tells me...” as they’ve no history to back it up.

The charge is about standard for such a letter, perhaps you can negotiate with your employer to cover some of the cost?

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've spoke to my employer, and they've basically refused to make any contribution to the cost.

Also apoke to my opticians, and they confirmed I was told I had astigmatism which they think could be the cause and asked me to use glasses more often and contacts less so. They said they can write a letter saying I have astigmatism but it'll cost me £55.

Renegade - how does it work if I ask employer to refer me to occupational health department? I had a uick Google search earlier and it seems it still means I would have to pay for their service?

I've just finished work with a blinding headache. I'm certain all the lighting is the cause. By the looks of things, I'm calling in sick tomorrow. Just want to cover my head in a blanket and bury myself in bed as soon as I get home. It's like a dull thud hitting everywhere around my eyes and the top of my head.

Is their any other way I can get my employer to let me sit in the dark area without having to provide a better from the GP/opticians?

Surely there must have been an employee health act or something that protects the employee from this.

Okay - there’s one potential way around this. But first I need to ask something.

Did you, whilst speaking to your GP actually consult over the headaches you’ve been having? Did they discuss it with you in detail and document that conversation? Did they offer any medication or other advice?

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

I briefly told my GP about it, but as I had discussed another matter earlier, he booked me an appointment to see him on 21st Sep because I told him the headaches had returned since I had been sitting in the lit area if the office.

Okay, so it’s unlikely that there’s anything currently documented in any detail on your medical records. This explains the GP’s reluctance to put anything in writing as they don’t yet know anything about it. But, after your next appointment on the 21st you’ll be able to ask for a copy of your medical records for free under GDPR. If during that conversation you explained exactly what was happening, what helped and how sitting in a less brightly lit area and after that made a SAR for a basic summary of your records then the most recent consultation would appear on it. You could then present this to your employer as proof of your GP’s understanding of your situation.

Worth a try.

Have a wee look at this link HSE link: http://www.hse.gov.uk/msd/dse/

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hope your appointment went well.