• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Pritchard v Barclays ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6236 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I’ve recently sent the initial letter to Barclays requesting a refund of the £1090 charges. I sent the letter on 20th September, and I’ve just had a response dated 26th September saying the following:

Dear Mr Pritchard

We are sorry you have had to contact us about the level of service you have received from Barclays. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to do so.

We are looking into your concerns and will let you have an answer or update as quickly as possible, but no later than 19th October 2006. In the meantime if you wish to discuss this matter further please call us on …….

Blah Blah Blah

My question is should I wait until Barclays deadline has passed or should I stick to my own deadline as in my initial letter?

Any advice on what should be my next move would be much appreciated

Stick to the timetable you set out in your preliminary letter. Send out the LBA 14 days after the date of the preliminary letter

Preliminary Letter sent to Woolwich 05/06

LBA sent 19/06

Court claim filed 04/07 : Total £824.75

Acknowledgement of Service 27/07

Defence received 08/08

AQ filed 11/08

Barclays AQ filed 05/09

Hearing date 20/12

SETTLED IN FULL £840.49: 14/12/06

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've gone through the process described on this site and sent off all the appropriate letters etc. without much joy from Barclays. They did at one point offer me a miserley £90 in full and final settlement from a claim of £1090.

Anyway Im going to take my N1 and shedule to the court tomorrow to start the proceedings. As Im a full time carer and so on a very low income I will be entitled to have the charges waived. My only question is on the N1 form should I still claim for court costs (wont the court want these - as they are in effect paying my fees) or should I leave the court costs off my claim altogether.

• 1 month later...

I have just received an AQ from the court and I’m unsure about a couple of the questions, can anyone help with the following bits:

It asks if I’ve sent a copy of the completed AQ to the other party. Should I send it and if I don’t will the court?

Location of the trial. I assume I can just put my local court but is being a full time carer justification enough?

It asks how long I think the final hearing will take in days, hours and minutes. Any ideas what I should put.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

Do a search (Im at work so not got the link to hand) - there are a LOT of posts on a similar subject the last few days. And in them links to how to complete...

Barclays :- Settled March 07:o

RBS:- Acct Discharged May 07 :o (chase for more and CRA deletion???):confused:

Barclaycard: - CCA recieved 24/1/07. WOW! :o (GITS!!!) :-|

04 Nov 06 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter sent

16 Nov 06 - Statements received - £2685.00 of illegal charges incurred

17 Nov 06 - PAR (Preliminary Approach for Repayment) letter sent

01 Dec 06 - Received Stalling letter from Barclays

02 Dec 06 - LBA (Letter Before Action) sent

18 Dec 06 - Claim filed with MCOL

20 Dec 06 - Settlement Rejection letter sent

03 Jan 07 - Claim acknowleged by Barclays

22 Jan 07 - Claim defended by Barclays

You wanna know how you do it? Here's how, they pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue!

Please click the scales at the bottom left if you find my advice useful. However, the advice I give is only my opinion based on my experience, I am not trained in Law!

Hi All

Ive read the other posts and the guide but they dont seem to answer these particular questions. The court sent me a N150 rather than the N149 AQ, I think that this is a more detailed questionaire than the standard N149.

Thanks

Hi,

Scroll down to the bottom of the page of the link and there is a N150 after the N149

04 Nov 06 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter sent

16 Nov 06 - Statements received - £2685.00 of illegal charges incurred

17 Nov 06 - PAR (Preliminary Approach for Repayment) letter sent

01 Dec 06 - Received Stalling letter from Barclays

02 Dec 06 - LBA (Letter Before Action) sent

18 Dec 06 - Claim filed with MCOL

20 Dec 06 - Settlement Rejection letter sent

03 Jan 07 - Claim acknowleged by Barclays

22 Jan 07 - Claim defended by Barclays

You wanna know how you do it? Here's how, they pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue!

Please click the scales at the bottom left if you find my advice useful. However, the advice I give is only my opinion based on my experience, I am not trained in Law!

• 2 months later...

Ring them!!!

Am i right in thinking your in Wavertree as in Liverpool?

I got a letter today, and my date isnt until the 28th March?!

THE STORY SO FAR:

~Asked for my Statements: 2/10/06

~Got them within 14 days (fair play)

~Asked for the money back:18/10/06

~Computer said no!!!! (not all of it anyway)

~Rejected the (crap) offer (£570/£1300): 11/11/06

~Computer said Hell no!!!!

~Barclays said I can go to court if I want (like they've got the balls to go that far!)

~MCOL done 29/11/06

~Barclays acknowledged: 18/12/06

~AQ received, filled out and returned: 4/01/2007

~Court date set for 28/03/2007

Cant help thinking that soon, Barclays might have to have a go with a test case.... Hope they dont choose me!!!!

Small (SORRY) donation given, cos i reckon i might win in the end, and without you guys i would never have started this process!!: 16/11/06

Well, its taken a while but Im only just over a week away from my day in court.

OK, I admit Im really nervous about it, but at least things will finally get sorted one way or the other.

Wish me luck...

Barclays usualy leave it untill the final week to settle.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

Guest Mumofthreeboys
Well, its taken a while but Im only just over a week away from my day in court.

OK, I admit Im really nervous about it, but at least things will finally get sorted one way or the other.

Wish me luck...

I would ring them too, you are so close to your court date that they will settle now.

Ring them!!!

Am i right in thinking your in Wavertree as in Liverpool?

I got a letter today, and my date isnt until the 28th March?!

I take it yours was a settlement offer?

Apparantly my case is to be heard with a whole load of others next Friday. It looks as though the court as put aside a whole day to hear bank charge cases.

Yep. got my settlement letter yesterday, rand the bank today to grind out the last details, and im all done now, pending getting the cash in my account.

Im suprised they havent written to you by now?

If you ring them now, and tell them when your court date is, they'll most likely panic!!

Dont take anthing less than the full amount, and dont be swayed into contacting the court till youve got your money. Theyve left it VERY late with you!!

I guess also that you havent had their Court Bundle????

Ill be interested to see where this one goes.:)

THE STORY SO FAR:

~Barclays said I can go to court if I want (like they've got the balls to go that far!)

~MCOL done 29/11/06

Cant help thinking that soon, Barclays might have to have a go with a test case.... Hope they dont choose me!!!!

Small (SORRY) donation given, cos i reckon i might win in the end, and without you guys i would never have started this process!!: 16/11/06

no, I havent had their court bundle. I haven't rang them cos I didn't want them to think I was 'waivering' which of course Im not - just not looking forward to appearing at court if it should come to that.

Still, one way or the other I suppose it'll all be sorted pretty soon!!!

Well done on your settlement - it must be time for a drink!

Well done on your settlement - it must be time for a drink!

Cheers mate. Im off to Asda to buy some Magners now, so they'll be cold for later!!!;-)

THE STORY SO FAR:

~MCOL done 29/11/06

:D Hi Allan, b'nora, just got home and got a letter from the courts ! I FINALLY HAVE MY DATE ! 27th of this month :eek: , am off to ASDA to chill some Magners as well, hopefully it wont turn to ICE if it takes to long to settle !