WHY has Barclays blocked my new account after large deposits ?

TWMI
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1992 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Advice Needed.

Please, this questions could have bee raised already but I am facing a nightmare here.

To make this very brief, I sent 8000 from my personal bank account with another bank and also 6800 from my small business account to a newly opened Barclays bank account totaling 14800. both money was sent from my own bank account with the same bank.

two weeks afterwards, being 25th August , past bank holiday, me and my spouse where at both at our local Barclays bank to withdraw 7500 but was turned down after waiting 1 hour and said my account has been blocked and suddenly under review. since then we have been tormented and could not collect funds carry out plans marriage plans or make payment to vendors.

I made a formal ,complain about this and today received a call to say that the account is now closed for fraud and our funds is held be Barclays. the guy i spoke to was terrible blunt and rude and that I should call the account closing team to know if I can get my Money back.

The funds i deposited in Barclays £8000 came from my own account, savings over the years, cleaning, freelancing and **** packing. the 6800 was from my business account. totally 14800. Now Barclays said that they have held my money and to provide proof of it. what does proof of the money means?

has anyone heard of this type of thing before, I hope I am describing this correctly for easy understanding, this is what has Happened to me. Advise needed.

Yes anti money laundering rules

They do it all the time

As do many banks

Prove by your bank statements its accrued wages etc

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

So just my bank statement for the business account from where i sent the 6800 and also the bank statement for my personal account showing the 8000 that was sent to Barclays, that the money indeed came from me :???:

You will need to prove how the sums accrued over time

Not just prove who owned the account s

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

well as long as you can prove where the money came from you should be ok.

don't leave any holes though, esp in your business accounts

do you have a business accountant or do it yourself.?

prove its not ill gotten gains and you should be homefree

sadly this is quite common for Barclays if you use the search cag box of the top red toolbar

and they

no, i don't have a business account, its just me only and a partner that i remotely work with in Fyrom and we develop android and IOS application for the both App stores and sell. other times we look for jobs using our freelance homepage and bid for these jobs. thats all we do.

I will put the statement together and send to them. I do not have any further info beyond whats showing on my statement: being personal incoming and outgoings for the business and personal account.

Why did you transfer it from your existing accounts to a new Barclays account ?

Opening a new account as a new customer (assuming your new and your other accounts are with others banks) with no history of deposits etc..depositing £14 K will cause alarms to ring .

Thread title amended

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

@Andyorch.

I decided to joined Barclays taking onto account they do not only provide me with my credit card of over 3 years, they also provided me with finance for my household furniture when we got a new flat early this year. hence i thought, i might as well just bank with them taking onto account they have always been upfront in assisting me. Little did I know that I was orchestrating my own nightmare.

I have however, sent the relevant bank statement but thank you for raising this point and i hope it makes sense to you too now.

Hi TW and welcome to CAG

Here are threads that show from using our SEARCH facility using the terms "barclays money laundering" - https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/search.php?searchid=11090521

Anti Money Laundering Regs mean the banks all have to follow rules. You'll be told little or nothing about how or why you're investigated but you should get your money once you've satisfied the bank and the authority that's behind all this.

Make sure you have alternative banking arrangements in place quickly so you can continue to operate as you need.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

Just an Update regarding my own case. I have given Barclays my POF and waited 20 working plus days.

I was told to called Ist of October, so I called them yesterday and the guy on the other end check the account and read me the notes that was left.

I quote '' proof of funds received and proof of funds is subject to further review, tell the customer to call BACK after 21 Ist of November 2018.

This is it for now, have querie why it will take this long but got no reasonable feedback from the team.

Not sure this is the point where I can involve the FOS, In the event I hear back sooner, I will place an Update too.

11 weeks (to 21st Nov) seems a long time to have to wait.

I would complain to Barclays HQ in writing, not phone. Demand a reply within 14 days or you'll complain to the FOS about Barclays lack of urgency when withholding your funds.

Have you set other banking arrangements in place ?

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

@slick123

Yes, I have.

I will write and post the letter to the addresses

Barclays Bank Plc - Head Office

1 Church Hill Place,

London,

E13 5BH

and also to :

Head Office address

Barclays Bank Plc

Leicester

LE87 2BB

the above address both came up when i search for the HQ.

However, should it be addressed as ''to who it may concern''

I'd address it to Jes Staley, Group CEO at Barclays

@slick123

Thank you for sharing, I will also write to John McFarlane (Chairman) and please just to get some insight on my opening. I have done it using the below subject

Notice of Legal Action and Report to the Financial Ombudsman Service

Dear Jes,

I am writing to bring to your attention, a Notice of Legal Action and Report to the Financial Ombudsman Service of Barclay’s lack of urgency and holding my funds following account its review process.

Note that I have complied with your request; provide you the relevant proof of funds. However, after 20 plus working days has elapse, I called your office advised yesterday 1st of October and was told that I should call back 21st of November 2018.

I joined Barclays with good intentions, having supported me over the years with a credit card as well as furniture finance for my flat little did I know that banking with Barclays will be the beginning of chronic anxiety and huge emotional distress to me and my fiancee. We were meant to get Married 30th of August and clearly this has not been possible because we were unable to pay vendors.

Note that that I am also using this medium to demand for a Subject Access Request stating clearly why Barclays have choose to hold my money and I cannot wait 11 weeks for another one of your lacklustre response. I have to live life daily; I almost failed the monthly payment on my Loan.

I demand that Barclays resolve and respond to this issue within 14 days and failing to do so, I will not only raise this to the Financial Ombudsman Service but my Solicitor will take legal action. I will also bring our case to the BBC Watchdog, citing how Barclay's have not only bullied me as customer but caused me severe anxiety and importantly ruin my wedding arrangement

@slick, anything i could have done differently interms on the content

Hi. I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with Barclays - you have my support for what it's worth.

I'm also having problems with Barclays because they've lost a document that could prove my ID. I've just emailed Mr Staley and plan to follow it up in writing. I haven't heard anything so far, I'll keep you posted if there's anything of interest.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi TW,

If the letter has already gone, it doesn't matter what changes we may have suggested.

Let us know how they respond.

:-)

Update!

I post my letter of complaint on the 3rd and also 4th.

I wrote to Jes Staley (Group CEO at Barclays) 3rd of Oct following @slick123 suggestion.

On the 4th of Oct I did more research and also wrote to the following people

1) Ms Laura Padovani, (Group Chief Compliance Officer | Barclays)

2) John McFarlane (Chairman)

On Monday 8th of Oct I got a cal from a lady that she is calling on behalf of the chairman (being John McFarlane) and that she deals with the bulk of his complaint, that she will look into the case and will contact me in 2 days time but she did not. So on Wednesday the 10th, I called and she said she is still on it, apologized for not been able to call initially and she will contact me before close of business which she did but only to tell me that its not possible to have the funds back and that I will have to wait till after 21st of Nov before they will release the funds.

My Response to her: I cannot wait till then, I have to live life daily. I cannot cover my Natwest loan, Barclays credit card and furniture finance from Barclays, the point being I have 3 credit facilities that I have to stay on top of every month and as we speak my Natwest standing order for the loan failed to go through and they've actually sent me a letter to this regards. (although personally have dealt with this failed payment to Natwest but the point of telling her all of this is because I am fighting my corner).

I plead with her to try, then she said I should forward the initial message that i sent to barclaysPOF , showing the proof of funds as well my my Natwest Loan statement, my Barlcyas credit card statement and Barclays Partner Finance Statement so she can see if a senior person can deal with my case. I sent all the info to her and she promised to call then Next day being Thursday 11th.

She called around 4:30 and said funds been release following the Assessment of a Senior Officer and that I can go to the Branch to collect the money. I went first thing in the morning and they they gave me my Money.

Thanks to everyone special mention to slick123 and honeybee13

hey well done, but 2 months is along time when it was their doing.

did you ask about compensation?

and they

2 months to deal with something they had proof of in the first few days...

I would start bombarding their big brasses with formal complaints and request of compensation to the sound of £1000 at least.

Social media works wonders after they fob you off with a £50 token and don't forget the fco.