paulie100

Social media

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 464 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, i had a non refundable deposit paid for a service that ultimately did not proceed by the client, but now they have contacted my children by private message on Facebook and told them that I owe them money. Is this permitted? Thank you.

I'm not aware that it breaks any law of the land or Facebook rules, I'd just advise to ignore the communications. If the sender doesn't get a response they'll stop.

Hmn! Not too sure on this but I would see it as a breach. Telling others that you owe a debt is personal information to you, not your children even though they may know already. The company could also be accused of harassment which is a criminal offence but that depends on the amount of times he has messaged you or them.

I think that a simple warning that he has breached the GDP Regulations may see him stop. This is my opinion and others may disagree so hold off till the regulars pop in but it is quite quiet at weekends.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

How old are the children ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

This sounds to me like a breach of the General Data Protection Regulation - the company does not have authority to share your personal data (such as debts owed) with family members.

It also sounds like a breach of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

How you take that forward is more difficult. I would probably respond asking that all correspondence regarding this matter is directed to you, and indicate that you may have to make a harassment complaint to the police and/or raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office if this person continues contacting your children.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS