Jump to content
  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • I’m currently on day 9 of mild symptoms  Starting about 5 days after My daughter had symptoms and subsequently tested positive.  she’s well over it now.   From my point of view I’ve had far Worse but Christ the symptoms are weird.    Anyway apparently if I’ve made it to day 9 or 10 without taking a turn for the worse , chances I’m on the road to recovery, so that’s some kind of relief.
    • Dr North highlights an unwanted effect of Lockdown and closure of food outlets and pubs, rodent infestations, rats go where there is food.   https://www.turbulenttimes.co.uk/news/corona/covid-rats/
    • We will see if the Role Of 6 and being outside etc hold fast tomorrow with Halloween, will the Children rebel and go Trick or Treating?  Will 9 and 10 year old's be Tasered for disobeying a copper?
    • It's not just the elite and the masses either. It seems to me that lockdown is skewed to the north, or at least away from the south east.   The R number seems to be a blunt instrument and there are areas with higher number that aren't locked down. Yet again, let the local public health people decide.
    • Firstly let me say that this is not a frustrated contract because in order to meet the requirements of the doctrine of frustration, the contract must be really impossible to perform.  Maybe because the house doesn't exist anymore or because there is a law against it etc. Here you are simply talking about delay. So please forget frustration.   Secondly the advice you have received from Citizens Advice I'm afraid is dangerous and could lead you into litigation which you might possibly lose. Ignore it.   One thing I am not clear on it is how long the installation work will take. What have you been told?   I understand that you made a contract which suggested that the installation might take place at any time before mid-november. I'm afraid that in these kinds of service or building contracts you have to accept a reasonable delay. A 1st of February deadline was completely unacceptable and would have been unreasonable. However I understand that under pressure from you they have now given you a deadline of 7th of December.   Firstly I think that a delay of a time up to the 7th of December is probably just within the bounds of reasonableness. Secondly because you effectively put pressure on them to have a shorter deadline and they came up with the 7th of December one could say that you have now been complicit in the delay and so I don't think you are in a position to reject it.   I understand that your confidence may have been undermined by what has happened so far and I think that you are justified but I'm afraid that I don't think that gives you  a reason or an opportunity to void the contract now.   I think you are going to have to accept 7th of December installation date but I think it would be reasonable now for you to write to the supplier and to let them know that time is of the essence and that the 7th of December deadline is the last date which you will accept for installation and if the installation does not occur on that date then you will consider that the contract has been terminated by their breach and you will take all necessary action to recover your money.   I think you should send this letter in the form of a letter of claim.   A letter of claim normally gives 14 days notice before County Court action will be commenced.   In this case I think that you can give them notice that if the installation does not occur by the 7th of December and if you then do not receive your full refund by the 14th of December you will start the immediate action in the county court to recover the money plus interest and without any further notice.   The advice above depends on what you have to tell me about the time needed for the installation. Also if you decide to send the letter of claim which I've suggested above then I think it will be a good idea if you would draft your letter of claim and post it here so we can check it.    
  • Our picks

    • Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.
      We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.
      After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.
      It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.
      A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?
      After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.
      The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 
      You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.
        • Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.
      I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.
      As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.
      If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.
      They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.
      If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.
      The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.
      They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.
      Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks
        • Like

Halifax/bank of Scotland name removal from joint account

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 803 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Hello all,


My daughter has a joint account with her ex that she wishes to have her name removed from but the Bank/Halifax are making it difficult.


Her ex left earlier this year and moved back to Scotland and left her with debts and a load of other problems which she has slowly managed to get sorted.


She had to give up her courier job to look after the two children(6 and 4 yrs) and so has had to claim IS.

However, due to this joint account the IS people are making it difficult to get the benefit and this has been ongoing since March.

After many calls to the IS they said she would have to make a new claim which she has now done so has to get around the Joint account problem.


Noe the bank says there are only two ways she can get her name off the account and these are,

1] she has to go to Scotland and sign a joint application paper to have her name removed as both parties have to go to the bank and sign the same time. She really really does not want to do that,

2] The other way is to actually get him to close the account and has he is out to cause as many problems for her as he can the chances here are probably a big fat zero.


So, is there anyway that she can get this account closed/ name removed other than what the bank has said.

She really wants it closed as to protect herself from any debts he may run up.


The other question is now she's made this new IS claim will they take it from the date of the claim or will they back date it to the start of the original claim.


Any help/advice is appreciated

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would assume the account is in debit ?


For that reason you will struggle as joint account is joint and several for any outstanding debts.



We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service


If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Link to post
Share on other sites

STOP using the account and bank, open up a different bank account with the post office or some other and have all of your income paid into the new account.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!



Link to post
Share on other sites


The account is in credit and has always been since it was originally setup. She has not used this account since they split up.


Bazooka Boo

She has done that so that any money she gets paid by IS (when they finally get to giving her some) does not go into the other account.

Her child benefit and CTcredit is being paid into the new account as well.


Just wondering if theres some kind of letter that can be sent to the bank so that she can get her name off the joint account. Or, that they have split up

and she is no longer using that account so would like her name removed from it and that she will not be responsible for any debts that may occur on

the joint account from the date of the breakup.


Really just want someway of getting her name off the account without her having to travel 300 miles to Scotland just to sign a paper.....


Would it be worth a trip to the local citizens advice centre?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you would like to remove a party on your bank account, call into your local branch with identification. View acceptable forms of identification. A request to remove a party from your bank account will only be accepted where the account is in credit.




We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service


If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...