Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • I suppose that if you were paying £300 an hour to a solicitor instead of getting free advice here, you would provide all the information that was asked for pretty quickly in order to maximise your chances of success and also to reduce your costs. It's a shame that you didn't take such a cautious approach when handing your money out to a cowboy builder who is going to cause you a lot of problem try to get it back – if at all. When you give us the information that we need to work on then we may be able to help you – but it's up to you
    • I don't really now why you are so insistent on the quote being posted, and I don't think it is necessay at this stage.   I just wanted some insight into whether it is feasible to also issue proceedings against the wife as the money was paid into her bank account.   The address of the registered office is not their home address.
    • Sorry but this was your first mistake. "Sold as seen" makes a huge difference. It means that the person you are dealing with can't be trusted and it is immediately a huge red flag and a massive hint you should walk away. I think we are still waiting for you to tell us who the dealer is. I agree with my site team colleague @dx100uk that you will have to bring a court claim in respect of this. However the problem will be one of enforcement of the judgement. It is beyond doubt that you will win your case – but I'm afraid that enforcing judgements can be very tricky especially with disreputable car dealers and this certainly seems to be a disreputable car dealer in that they are trying to fob you off with "sold as seen" and also within 24 hours they are already refusing to acknowledge your consumer rights. You should realise that although you are protected by the consumer rights act – and of course, everyone is, but enforcing those rights can be a different matter. For future reference, when you go to see a vehicle, it's a big mistake to feel comfortable and smug because you feel that you are protected by consumer rights. You need to be looking at the business that you are dealing with to ask yourself that if they decide to betray your trust, will you then be able to force them to step up to the mark. This is the constant difficulty that we have on this forum when dealing with second-hand car dealers. When you tell us who is the dealer then we may be to give you more information.   If you do eventually get the dealer to promise to give you your money back, then you need to be very careful about how you manage it. It would probably be most unwise to put the dealer into possession of the car and the money at the same time. You will need to organise a proper exchange. Whatever the situation, you going to need to move quickly and very assertively. This probably means that you should issue a letter of claim almost immediately – but let us have a look at the enforcement problem first. What is the name of the dealer? Also, I notice that you say that you are going back on a motorway. Does this mean that you live some long distance away from them?  
    • The CMA has today published further detail on its views on the law in relation to cancellations and refunds during the pandemic. View the full article
    • Thanks for the company information. Still waiting for the quotation to be posted up. I'm not sure what the problem is or why there should be delay.   It's very concerning that this person has had the money paid directly into his wife's account. I wonder if the tax people know.  
  • Our picks

    • @curryspcworld @TeamKnowhowUK - Samsung 75 8K TV - completely broken by Currys. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426151-samsung-75-8k-tv-completely-broken-by-currys/&do=findComment&comment=5069075
      • 4 replies
    • @skinnyfoodco Skinny Foods. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426130-skinny-foods/&do=findComment&comment=5068996
      • 8 replies
    • I’m in desperate need of help
      I bought some clothes online in may through Evans and paid through PayPal
      returned them all seven days later
      I waited the 14days for my refund and no refund came
      I put in a dispute through PayPal but I didn’t get any emails to escalate the case - PayPal closed it. 
      evans said they couldn’t refund the money because PayPal have cancelled the refund because of the open dispute
      I contacted PayPal
      they said the dispute had been closed but Evans at no point had attempted a refund.
      fast forward to today
      I’ve got copies of numerous messages sent to and from twitter messages as it’s the only way I can contact them
      I’ve also contacted their customer service too
      all I get is PayPal have cancelled refund because dispute is still open.
      I have proved that the dispute is closed
      I have got an email saying that if Evans sent the refund they would accept it
      but up until the date I got the email they have not once attempted a refund .
       I have sent them a letter before court email
      I have even offered to have the full refund as a gift card just to get this sorted !
      I’m literally at the end of my tether and don’t know where to turn next !
      i suffer with mental health issues and this is affecting my health and I’d saved the money for a year to buy these clothes as I’m on a low income .
    • In desperate need of help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/425244-in-desperate-need-of-help/&do=findComment&comment=5067040
      • 29 replies

Halifax/bank of Scotland name removal from joint account

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 763 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Hello all,


My daughter has a joint account with her ex that she wishes to have her name removed from but the Bank/Halifax are making it difficult.


Her ex left earlier this year and moved back to Scotland and left her with debts and a load of other problems which she has slowly managed to get sorted.


She had to give up her courier job to look after the two children(6 and 4 yrs) and so has had to claim IS.

However, due to this joint account the IS people are making it difficult to get the benefit and this has been ongoing since March.

After many calls to the IS they said she would have to make a new claim which she has now done so has to get around the Joint account problem.


Noe the bank says there are only two ways she can get her name off the account and these are,

1] she has to go to Scotland and sign a joint application paper to have her name removed as both parties have to go to the bank and sign the same time. She really really does not want to do that,

2] The other way is to actually get him to close the account and has he is out to cause as many problems for her as he can the chances here are probably a big fat zero.


So, is there anyway that she can get this account closed/ name removed other than what the bank has said.

She really wants it closed as to protect herself from any debts he may run up.


The other question is now she's made this new IS claim will they take it from the date of the claim or will they back date it to the start of the original claim.


Any help/advice is appreciated

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would assume the account is in debit ?


For that reason you will struggle as joint account is joint and several for any outstanding debts.



We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service


If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Link to post
Share on other sites

STOP using the account and bank, open up a different bank account with the post office or some other and have all of your income paid into the new account.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!



Link to post
Share on other sites


The account is in credit and has always been since it was originally setup. She has not used this account since they split up.


Bazooka Boo

She has done that so that any money she gets paid by IS (when they finally get to giving her some) does not go into the other account.

Her child benefit and CTcredit is being paid into the new account as well.


Just wondering if theres some kind of letter that can be sent to the bank so that she can get her name off the joint account. Or, that they have split up

and she is no longer using that account so would like her name removed from it and that she will not be responsible for any debts that may occur on

the joint account from the date of the breakup.


Really just want someway of getting her name off the account without her having to travel 300 miles to Scotland just to sign a paper.....


Would it be worth a trip to the local citizens advice centre?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you would like to remove a party on your bank account, call into your local branch with identification. View acceptable forms of identification. A request to remove a party from your bank account will only be accepted where the account is in credit.




We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service


If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...