style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 390 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Good morning Caggers,

I am wondering if someone can help me out with a bit of an issue to do with lease of a retail kiosk.

Back in February of this year I rented a retail kiosk from my local council which was in a High Street but was classed as within the local market.

I was selling cut flowers and plants. This was a completely new venture and basically took all spare money I had to set up and it looked really good.

The problem started about a month after I opened when the market manager (council run market) allowed a huge plant and flower stall to pitch up a few yards from the kiosk. When I say huge it was the size of 8/10 normal size market pitches. Apparently, this stall was a nursery and therefore grew a lot of the plants and was able to sell them cheaper than me. Now the market was on 3 days a week and to be fair he was only there on a Saturday but it was a waste of time me opening on a Saturday because people walked straight past and made a beeline for him. To add insult to injury, the market manager in his infinite wisdom, allowed 2 other stalls onto the market selling plants and flowers and they were there every day.

The problem was I just didnt take any money. I think I had a couple of weeks at first which were ok but as soon as these stalls were allowed on I didnt even take the rent!.

I complained to the Council and the local councillor but it all fell in deaf ears and eventually I had no choice but to return the keys in April, I was there about 10 weeks in total.

The original lease I signed was a year with a six month get out clause and the council were chasing me for the full six months.

| sent them a letter when I gave the keys back explaining why and how I felt they had let me down by letting all these other stalls on and basically killing any hope I had to build a business. Unfortunately I had no money so consequently got into arrears with the rent because I had no customers and no savings because I had spent it all setting up the kiosk.

Eventually after a few backward and forward letters they agreed to accept me terminating the lease when I returned the keys and said they would cancel any invoices after that date but I would still owe the rent upto that date, which was fair enough.

I told them I would have to pay it off with a small amount weekly as I was out of work.

I have now received another legal document which I believe is a Deed of Surrender for which the councils legal team have produced and are charging me £200 for the privilege.

They know my current situation, another £200 really? I dont understand it, I dont know what they will do if I dont sign it. any input on this situation would be really appreciated.

Yes you need a deed of surrender.

It relinquishes your rights under the original lease to a certain piece of property.

Basically a contract terminating a contract early.

Thread moved to the appropriate forum...please continue to post here to your thread.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread