• Tweets

• Hello, I am a private seller and recently sold a pair of trainers on eBay.  Everything seemed fine until just after the eBay 30 day mbg had expired.  The buyer contacted me with photos showing me that both shoes had ripped.  He wanted his money back, and after refusing to refund him, he then left me retaliatory and defamatory feedback on my profile to the effect that I had sold him fake trainers (this was removed by eBay).  He then initiated a chargeback via Paypal.  Invariably, the outcome was in his favour, and I have now been charged for the cost of the trainers.  I would have also been stung for the chargeback fee, but eBay refunded this.  Incidentally, I do have the email receipt of the trainers from when I bought them from a well-established and bona fide online retailer.  The susbequent conversation with eBay followed its predictable course, i.e. the chargeback is out of their hands etc. I have been in contact with citizens advice, and my bank.  Citizens advice told me that as a private seller I'm responsible for the "Title and description" of the goods, but not the performance, or the fitness for purpose.  To me it is clear; if you receive something that's not as described, you don't then use the goods, and more than 30 days later claim 'not as described'.  In my mind, this makes the claim fraudulent.  He's used the 'they're fake' card to give credence to a 'not as described' claim here, obviously, without any evidence.  My understanding is that the chargeback is unlawful, because the trainers were shipped as described.  However, I read something on an eBay forum regarding sellers having no statutory rights, i.e. no right to appeal against a chargeback decision, or to complain to the financial ombudsman.  Does this mean that if my bank disputes the charge on my behalf, it will be to no avail, even if it's recognisably a fraudulent chargeback?  I have reported it via the Actionfraud website. Any advice, anyone?  Would be most grateful!
    • Thank you, I have drafted my letters and started to complete the reply form, printed from this site and not using the one they provided.    2 questions, on the forum link it says to tick box D & I, the reason for box D will be given on my thread, what would my answer be to "I dispute the debt"?  Do I send anything for the Vodafone debt they have included?  I've only done 118 loan s. 77 & capital one credit cards so. 78    Thank you  
    • It'll be something to the effect of:  "I am in receipt of your letter before claim.  I was awaiting a passenger as a licensed cab driver on the Locton estate who subsequently cancelled the pickup after me waiting a while and will fight this in the small claims court if necessary. Plus I have friends who are experts in contractual law and make it their business to defeat these spurious PPC claims.  So issue the claim form or go forth and multiply, up to you"
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Strange one

Mindbomb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6577 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

OH checked bank balance online today to find a credit of over 5k!

She phoned bank and said 'Not mine guv' and they said oh it'll probably get wiped/moved overnight.

It's not her money and is obviously a mistake but my questions are...

What happens when the taxman spots it?

Personally I think she should get written confirmation from them that it was a mistake on their part and am also inclined to charge a fee for the 'manual intervention' on her part in pointing out their mistake.

What say you?

Nemo me impune lacessit!

The hours of folly are measured by the clock; but of wisdom, no clock can measure.

As long as one person lives in darkness, then it seems to be a responsibility to tell other people.

Is it still there?

If so, if you have one, move it to a savings account (ideally in another bank).

You will soon get written confirmation that it's not yours.....

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi,

That's what she said but me being the cautious fool I am said 'Be careful, it's not yours'

Nemo me impune lacessit!

The hours of folly are measured by the clock; but of wisdom, no clock can measure.

As long as one person lives in darkness, then it seems to be a responsibility to tell other people.

Moving it to another bank can surely only be seen as prudence, no?

The bank you (she) are with can clearly not be trusted and to move it to another bank until the bank prove it is not theirs can only be seen as being careful?

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Like your style!

I just didn't want to advise anything without tips from the good people here.

I am on the blower to her now.

Thanks. Will keep you posted.

Keep up the good work.

Nemo me impune lacessit!

Soooooooo,

She's out and she promised to call me when back.

She will then transfer to my savings account (different bank) if it's still there.

Oh how I hope it is.

So pleased you're watching this Dave.

Nemo me impune lacessit!

OK so time is getting on....but....what if the phantom 5k were to be transferred to an account that was overdrawn?

Not trying to get anything I/we not due but hypothecially speaking?

Nemo me impune lacessit!

Transfer it to a savings account IMEDIATELY. Just don't spend it! Before they get heavy they'll simply ask for it back, at which point you can waste a few weeks/months getting them to prove that it isn't yours. In the meantime you'll have made enough in interest to buy yourself a nice back rub or something. ;-)

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

Sorry to be a killjoy.

You should bring it to their notice - OR ... if you want to have a little fun, withdraw it and hand it in to the police.

However, you should be very straight in your dealings with it.

If you hand it in to the police, you never know, maybe the bank will be so inefficient after the 6 months or whatever are up that it will be unlaimed. The you will be able to claim it without any worries.

But imagine the embarrassment of the bank if they have to claim it back form the police.

Guest Lueeze

You sure its not for bank charges as saw your claiming nearly 5k??

I LOVE IT WHEN THE BANKS F UP!!!!

Tehehehe

That's a good point actually, do they owe you bank charges? you could always keep what they owe you and let them sue you for it...

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

Sorry to be a killjoy.

You should bring it to their notice - OR ... if you want to have a little fun, withdraw it and hand it in to the police.

However, you should be very straight in your dealings with it.

If you hand it in to the police, you never know, maybe the bank will be so inefficient after the 6 months or whatever are up that it will be unlaimed. The you will be able to claim it without any worries.

But imagine the embarrassment of the bank if they have to claim it back form the police.

Thanks for reply BF. I can assure you I will be as straight as a straight thing from straightville but I kinda like the cut of Dave's jib.

I'm only trying to safeguard (sp) this large bundle which they don't seem to care too much about.

I'm not even bothered about making interest on it. It's not mine - sorry hers.

Just want an unauthorised handling charge of say....... £39..................oh............................and a.......late 'not sorted out' charge of say............£25..........plus £3 a day from now on.

Am I being unreasonable?

Sorry - and interest

Nemo me impune lacessit!

Hey Lueeze.

My other post is my claim from FD bloodsuckers. That will almost certainly amount to 5K.

This post refers to my OH who has had 5k (separate bank, name etc) put in her account.

They don't seem too concerned about it.

Which might go some way to explaining where all our money goes while they're 'clearing' our checks for us -bless them.

Nemo me impune lacessit!

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me can confirm/deny this, but I would say that if they owe you money then you can argue that you hold a lien over any of their assets which you hold, until such time as they cough up. Anyone care to comment?

If they owe you money I wouldn't be handing anything back while matters remain unresolved. If you think about it, if you move it to another bank, the only way they will get it back is if they sue you for it. cue your counterclaim for unlawful charges...

OK.

Thanks for all your posts.

To clarify.

I am in the process of reclaiming (at least) 5k from FD - very early on process - c andypatti V FD thread.

This, however, refers to my OH.

She checked her balance and 5k was in there! It's not hers. She's not claiming anything from her bank in terms of charges. It's just that she's now got a deposit of 5k which is not hers.

When she phoned her bank ('manual intervention') they couldn't care less.

What if, as Dave suggested, it was moved to another account for safe keeping as they can't be trusted etc? (I am simplyfying)

My question is...... What if that account is overdrawn????

Sorry - Or in dispute over charges etc...

Some poor unfortunate is 5k light right now!

Nemo me impune lacessit!

Hey it's good to see BF is back and as usual on top form. I think the police idea is SUPERB, we could all have a real giggle at that one.

Oh go on do it, do it! PLEEEASE

I'd love to. Just need to be sure I haven't opened myself up to anything.

Nemo me impune lacessit!

It's not a Yorkshire Bank account by any chance is it? Reason I ask is that apparently they've been having some problems. My OH pays money from his YB account to mine every Friday and when he checked his account online today it's taken the money out twice. When he phoned telephone banking they told him they'd put it straight back, but they've had some probs with payments duplicating!

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

Good evening,

Not as far as I know.

Pretty sure it's one of the uber *ossers!

Nemo me impune lacessit!

Ah, sorry, didn't realise it was your partner's account and not yours. As far as I'm aware, if the bank makes a mistake in your favour, you have to pay it back. End of story. As it's you claiming and not your partner, she could expect them to get very humpty indeed if she doesn't return it forthwith. Also, if she transfers it in the knowledge that it isn't hers, they might very well view it as theft (if she doesn't return it straight away).

Also, if she transfers it in the knowledge that it isn't hers, they might very well view it as theft (if she doesn't return it straight away).

Thats a no-go for the banks. To accuse of theft they have to prove that she intended to permanently deprive the bank of it. This could be proved by removing the money and spending it for example. But to remove it and hold it in its entirity in another account could not be proved as intention to permanently deprive.

To the OP

If you were to put this money into an overdrawn account the bank could ague that your wife did intend to permanently deprive as in the example above.

If you wife transfered the 5K into an a/c with a 1K OD then there would only be 4K available to give back to the bank at the appropriate time. Your wife could theoretically be charged with theft for the 1K. Its a sticky situation, but to be on the safe side it needs to go into an account with no OD and no charges pending, or under the matress.

If you go with the last option let me know where you live ;)

Paul

Halifax Status

LBA Sent 11/04/06

1/3 offered by phone 20/04/06 - Rejected

BCT Status

Statements Recieved 31/03/06

Capital One Status

Recieved Lie/Reply 24/04/06

'To accuse of theft they have to prove that she intended to permanently deprive the bank of it'

So not only are the banks taking money from our accounts to which they aren't entitled but, in the eyes of the law, they're thieiving as well. Well, we knew that already but if the banks were jointly and severally hauled into court by the CPS for ongoing and continuous theft then somebody should surely go to prison?? Or a free Caribbean holiday at the very least

As far as I'm aware, if the bank makes a mistake in your favour, you have to pay it back. End of story.

Not end of story at all.... Do a search on the site for ESTOPPEL.

It's interesting stuff. Well, when I say interesting... All is relative, lol.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6577 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks