Landlord selling up, unwilling to negotiate an earlier end to tenancy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2070 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We've been in the property 12 months, and 10 months in the landlord has served us with a section 21. So we have two months to leave.

An estate agent has been in touch regarding viewings and we have been as accommodating as we can.

We have found another place to rent and have asked if the landlord is willing to end the tenancy early, and the answer was no. We can leave early but still need to pay until the end of the 12 months.

The new landlord doesn't want to wait that long and if we cant move in earlier he will have to let it to someone else.

So, in an attempt to persuade the current landlord I have pointed out that we have been very flexible with the viewings, but have no reason to do this. If he isn't willing to negotiate the leave date, we have no reason to be as flexible as we are, even to the point of not allowing viewings at all.

Am I within my rights here?

In short no.

Your LL doesn't have to agree to an earlier date. You can of course just pay the rent and move earlier, but not many people can afford that.

You need to refer to the clause in your lease on allowable access and notice for your LL.

OK thanks. Yes I realise I can pay the rent and move early, but that just doesn't make much sense.

I was thinking the 'quiet enjoyment' clause would cover us here but youre right the tenancy agreement does say that within the last two months the landlord can access the property with tenants or purchasers but must give reasonable notice.

Which leads me onto another question; when we fist let the property we had a verbal agreement that the landlord would not enter the property without us being present because of our dog.

If the landlord decides to let his self in for viewing and the dog attacks someone, is that our fault?

Verbal agreements mean very little when a paper contract is in place. They can be denied knowledge of and it falls back to the paper one.

However the landlord cannot just let themselves in. You need to be there.

A big sign on the door warning of a dog may be prudent, but my argument is its the dogs home and if your unsupervised and the dog feels threatened that's your fault, not the dogs

Just inform the LL and estate agent in writing that you have a dog.

If they then decide to take a risk and enter the property while you're not there you could not be blamed.

However, as we live in a "other's fault" society, I wouldn't be surprised if you were blamed if the dog attack them despite your warning.

Written communication and sign on the door would seem reasonable to a reasonable person.

Alternatively you can change the locks until you leave and then change them back..

That way no one can enter whilst you are not there, and if they ask why you have changed them, you know that they have tried to enter without permission.

I am not a solicitor :!::!:

Most of my knowledge came from this site :-D:-D

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

Why not??

it is not against any law, in fact it is what all tenants should do as soon as they move into a new property..

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

https://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/2016/10/18/tenant-penalties-breaching-tenancy-rules-changing-locks/

It is the tenant’s right not to be disturbed or harassed while living in the property. Landlords are not entitled to enter the tenant’s living area without written permission as they have the right to use the property as their home. However, as mentioned, the landlord has the right to ‘reasonable’ access to carry out repairs for which s/he is responsible, but s/he should always ask for the tenant’s permission, and should give at least 24 hours’ notice (s11(6) Landlord and Tenant Act 1985).

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Agreed, but the op wants to stop the LL showing potential TT round whilst he is out... and is well within his rights to dissallow the LL to do so, and if the LL will not stop doing so, then TT is within rights to stop this.

also this method is better than TT's dog being destroyed for attacking the LL and viewers.

Alternatively you can change the locks until you leave and then change them back..

That way no one can enter whilst you are not there, and if they ask why you have changed them, you know that they have tried to enter without permission.

I agree, changing the locks would be the best way forward, then changing them back when OP final leaves.

Just to point out.

Section 11 of 1985 Landlord and Tenant Act refers to landlords Repairing obligations in short leases and not showing new tenants around.

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...