Old Council Tax Debt - Rossendales trying to collect from friend's address (my debt).

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2085 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an old council tax debt, Rossendales are sending bailiffs to my friends address (I used this address several months ago to get my bank card delivered to as I was of NFA at the time).

My friend (whom I don't see that often) handed me a load of letters and told me that bailiffs are regularly knocking at her door demanding full payment,

she is worried they'll come in and take all her stuff (which surely can't be legal?).

The letters they've sent me are rather confusing,

they claim I owe two debts to a local council,

one for approx 120 and

another for approx 240,

the first few letters added £75 to both debts (to the same council, same old address),

added £235 to both debts making the total payable over £700.

I have nowhere near that amount lying around to pay them and get them off my friends back.

More recently they sent another letter regarding the 120 debt and nothing else, they seem to have removed the £235 fee and the total is less than £200

nothing regarding the other 240 (or whatever I apparently still owe to the same council).

What's the best way to get them to stop knocking at my friends house?

Also, as they've been handed the wrong address by MY BANK ,

they've been unable to contact me so how can they legally claim fees if they're knowing harassing someone who has nothing to do with the debt in question?

I did call them a few weeks ago when they demanded £700 they said I would have to call the "bailiff" directly and he'll want payment in full so I never bothered

1) I don't have it, and

2) I'm not paying a £235 fee (twice + £75*2) even if I did have it),

they could have phoned me but instead they'd rather send bailiffs/letters to an address I've told them I don't even live at.

I am not sure what my best course of action is, I would rather pay the council directly

I've heard they will refuse payment and tell me to deal with Rossendales,

I would deal with them but I am not paying a £235 fee out of principle (and certainly not twice).

For some confusing reason however, the most recently letter does not include the £235

I have no idea what's going on.

I was going to email them and ask but they'd likely take days to respond so I'd rather ask here first.

I would also like to know how they even got this address?

The only thing I used my friend's address for was to get a card delivered from my bank,

so my own bank just gave an address away to a 3rd party company?

How is that even legal?

Do all banks do this?

Edited by dx100uk
Spacing

Ctax debts?

And no it wasnt the bank

But your info on your credit file

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Sorry title says ctax:madgrin:

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The letters they've sent me are rather confusing,

they claim I owe two debts to a local council,

one for approx 120 and

another for approx 240,

the first few letters added £75 to both debts (to the same council, same old address),

added £235 to both debts making the total payable over £700.

For some confusing reason however, the most recently letter does not include the £235

More recently they sent another letter regarding the 120 debt and nothing else, they seem to have removed the £235 fee and the total is less than £200

Where the enforcement agents are acting together in respect of multiple liability orders they are supposed to minimise the £235 fees (that doesn't apply to the £75) so Rossendales have dropped on of the £235's on that basis (to be fair, when I used to deal with them for council tax purposes, they were always good in respect of spotting and removing the extra £235 where needed).

Also, as they've been handed the wrong address by MY BANK ,

Neither the council or enforcement agent will hand an addresses directly to a bank (or vice versa) - most likely they have come across the address via trace searches and that has details associating you with that address. Council and enforcement agencies will regularly undertake searches to find addresses - by the bank using the address there is likely a financial association which has started to show on the records that they search.

Cant payers get help/time/arrangements set for non payments of ctax.

Some wont payers could be sent to prison.

Ctax is the only civil debt you could be jailed for for non payment.

The fees are set in legislation and are fully enforceable. It becomes part of the balance.

I'm not going into the ins and outs of how they traced you. You've already answered that question yourself.

I have an old council tax debt, Rossendales are sending bailiffs to my friends address (I used this address several months ago to get my bank card delivered to as I was of NFA at the time).

The letters they've sent me are rather confusing, they claim I owe two debts to a local council, one for approx 120 and another for approx 240,

The first few letters added £75 to both debts (to the same council, same old address), added £235 to both debts making the total payable over £700.

I have nowhere near that amount lying around to pay them and get them off my friends back.

nothing regarding the other 240 (or whatever I apparently still owe to the same council).

What's the best way to get them to stop knocking at my friends house?

I did call them a few weeks ago when they demanded £700 they said I would have to call the "bailiff" directly and he'll want payment in full so I never bothered

1) I don't have it, and

2) I'm not paying a £235 fee (twice + £75*2) even if I did have it),

They could have phoned me but instead they'd rather send bailiffs/letters to an address I've told them I don't even live at.

I am not sure what my best course of action is, I would rather pay the council directly

I would deal with them but I am not paying a £235 fee out of principle (and certainly not twice).

In the first instance, I have calculated that you have only been charged ONE enforcement fee and not two and that would be correct. As you have two separate debts, then a Compliance Fee of £75 is added to each account which again is correct.

Paying the council direct (minus bailiff fees) will not assist you as the amount due under the warrant INCLUDES bailiff fees incurred up to the time of payment. All local authorities and enforcement companies are very familiar with the verdict under the case of Bola v Newlyn & Harrow Council. The following link is to a short thread that I started on the subject of this legal ruling. That thread, and together with another 'discussion thread the same subject have been viewed over 54,000 times'.

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?477808-Paying-the-creditor-direct-to-avoid-paying-bailiff-fees-has-landed-a-debtor-with-a-%A37-000-cost-order.