• Tweets

• Thank you for the reply.No, he still lives there.   
    • What I would love to know is whether anyone has gone the small claims route for infringement (failing to supply all the data)...I'm going to start a fresh thread asking this now.... By the way, my former employer asked for a £900 fee to find all emails with my name included in them. I have had a rather tumultuous 11 months since then but am now back on this so will report them to the ICO tomorrow. 
    • might have been the same address althrough the mortgage but has he moved since?   if not doesn't need ctax copy.    
    • Also, I use 'Live chat' with the ICO and it's really helpful. They advise that it can take up to three months for them to investigate...but it is hugely beneficial to go to court with that judgement behind you! Best to be safe than sorry!   I had this helpful post from mrabody on my other thread regarding quantifying compensation: Take a look at Halliday v Creation Consumer Finance Limited. The claimant was awarded £750 for distress for what the court held to be a minor breach.    https://www.hempsons.co.uk/news-articles/damages-distress-awarded-breach-data-protection-act/   In your case I would suggest the breach is considerably more serious as HSBC has lost your data.   They think it may have been destroyed but they have no proof. The fact is they have no clue as to where it is or who has it.   So in addition to the potential loss of your PPI refund I think the distress component is considerably higher than in Halliday. How much higher I cannot say - but you need to start canvassing the case law on damages for distress.   
    • Hi King 12345,   I'm running a similar thread (but haven't used the word punish...but I guess I should have, Lol)   I've been doing a lot of research on this and I will post two items that you may find of help. I believe they have 'infringed', rather than 'breached':   Link here, text below: https://gdpr.algolia.com/gdpr-article-82 Art. 82 GDPR Right to compensation and liability Any person who has suffered material or non-material damage as a result of an infringement of this Regulation shall have the right to receive compensation from the controller or processor for the damage suffered. 1Any controller involved in processing shall be liable for the damage caused by processing which infringes this Regulation. 2A processor shall be liable for the damage caused by processing only where it has not complied with obligations of this Regulation specifically directed to processors or where it has acted outside or contrary to lawful instructions of the controller. A controller or processor shall be exempt from liability under paragraph 2 if it proves that it is not in any way responsible for the event giving rise to the damage. Where more than one controller or processor, or both a controller and a processor, are involved in the same processing and where they are, under paragraphs 2 and 3, responsible for any damage caused by processing, each controller or processor shall be held liable for the entire damage in order to ensure effective compensation of the data subject. Where a controller or processor has, in accordance with paragraph 4, paid full compensation for the damage suffered, that controller or processor shall be entitled to claim back from the other controllers or processors involved in the same processing that part of the compensation corresponding to their part of responsibility for the damage, in accordance with the conditions set out in paragraph 2. Court proceedings for exercising the right to receive compensation shall be brought before the courts competent under the law of the Member State referred to in Article 79(2).
  • Our picks

• Future Comms is a Big Con. How to get out of it. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/417058-future-comms-is-a-big-con-how-to-get-out-of-it/
      • 4 replies
    • Future Comms issues. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/416504-future-comms-issues/
      • 5 replies
    • This is a bit of a lengthy one but I’ll summerise best as possible.

THIS IS HOW THE PHONECALL WENT 

I was contacted by future comms by phone, they stated that they could beat any phone contract I have , (I am a limited company but just myself that needs a business phone and I am the only worker) 
      I told future comms my deal, £110 per month with a phone and a virtual landline, they confirmed that they could beat that, £90 per month with a phone , virtual landline  they also confirmed they would pay Vodafone (previous provider) the termination fee. As I am in business, naturally I was open to making a deal. So we proceeded. 
      Future comms then revealed that the contract would be with PLAN.COM and the airtime would be provided by 02, I instantly told them that this would break the deal as I have poor 02 signal in the house where I live as my partner is on 02 and constantly complaining about bad signal
      the salesman assured me he would send a signal booster box out with the phone so I would have perfect signal.
      so far so good.....
      i then explained this is the only mobile phone I use for business and pleasure, so therefore I didn’t want any disconnection time in the slightest between the switchover from Vodafone to 02
      the salesman then confirmed that the existing phone would only be disconnected once the new phone was switched on.
      so far so good....
      • 14 replies
    • A shocking story of domestic and economic abuse compounded by @BarclaysUKHelp ‏ bank complicity – coming soon @A_Gentle_Woman. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/415737-a-shocking-story-of-domestic-and-economic-abuse-compounded-by-barclaysukhelp-%E2%80%8F-bank-complicity-%E2%80%93-coming-soon-a_gentle_woman/
      • 0 replies
hillards

Restons/Cabot claimform - old HFC debt step-daughter

My wife has been getting calls and texts from Cabot for weeks telling her to call them about a matter they wish to discuss, but they ask for her grown-up daughter's name. She has happily ignored the calls and texts, nothing to do with her of course.

A letter arrived recently advising that Restons were going to make a claim in court for over three and a half thousand pounds, not a trivial amount so they may actually try.

BUT, the HFC Bank account was started in 2006 and defaulted soon after when my step-daughter lost her job.

The letter states the account was terminated in January 2008.

I think she made some movement to pay via CCCS but that fell through long ago.

As far as she is aware, nothing has been paid on this account for the last 7-8 years and she's not contacted anyone about it in that time.

The letter says the debt was assigned to Cabot in October 2017, no mention of where it was up until then.

She does not have any paperwork relating to the account but that's beside the point,

she has had no default notice that she is aware of and does not know when the last payment was made either, it's that long ago.

Does she just write to them and say 'statute barred' and see where it goes from there or is there some way she can get the info she needs to prove that?

I don't think she's ever asked for a credit report but the concern is that will just give the DCA her up to date address, phone number and so on.

I've read dx100uk 's defence note in https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?477307-Arrow-restons-claimform-old-Vanquis-Card-debt-statute-barred&p=5031789&viewfull=1#post5031789 amongst other threads, got to admit a lot of it goes over my head these days, I'm well out of the loop since I used to be active on here.

The letter says she has to pay in full by July 26th 'or else'... They also sent a statement of earnings form.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

Sorry, should have said it was PAP. Yes, she's got that too. Tick box D and just put SB ? :-)

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

if you are 1000% it is yes

get out of the old school habit of hiding from DCA's

if there are other debts then findout who owns them and update them to the current address by sending our SB letter or if not SB'd a simple letter

esp if she gets phishing letters about old debts.

they are quite capable now of an DO gett default judgements sent to an old address,, even if the debt is SB'd and the 1st you know are bailiffs at the door!!

moved to HFC forum and retitled

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

OK, she's away this weekend but as soon as she gets back I'll get her to request her credit file. Once we have that we can probably find much of the info needed.

Thanks for the guidance

wont be on there

as it was defaulted more than 6yrs ago surely?

if the lat payment was through CCCS [stepchange now]

cant she ring them and get a statement of affairs or WHY?

You can tell I'm out of practise here, but it's her issue not mine so I'll get her to do the legwork.

well don't mess around 2 long you MUST reply to that PAP letter within the 30days deadline

else I bet they'll file a backdoor CCJ to one of her old addresses.

Yes, on with, she is back tomorrow. The only address they have for her is mine, but how they got the wife's mobile number I don't know.

credit file I expect

or debt details from the OC upon purchase

The good news is that there is no trace of this on her credit file :-). I don't know which one she used, it was a free one, but her credit score was 925 she says. 'Stirling' stuff :lol:

She is going to call Stepchange tomorrow, her day off, as well as checking the credit file fully. I'll help her to tick box D...

Experian credit report obtained.

No sign of this debt, just one note

"you have no settled non-mail order credit accounts"

but no explanation of what that may be.

I googled, seems that's a false negative and nothing to worry about really.

She has a credit score in the mid 900's and can only see her current mobile phone and bank account as active.

She has called Stepchange, they could not find anything on their system.

She spent some time giving them her details and cross-checking.

They say if there had been anything they would have removed it after 6 years under data protection.

Box D ticked, 'Statute Barred' written in the space, form sent back to Restons :-)

Yes, reading what has happened with others they may still try it on, but we're ready for them.

Edited by dx100uk
Spacing

Restons have responded and whinged about not sending them a covering letter to explain why... All she did was tick the D box and write 'statute barred' in the space and sent the form back.

They claim that a payment was last made in January 2017, but don't say who by...

Personally I suspect this is when Cabot bought it from some other DCA

- Restons say she should provide documentation to support her claim

- how on earth can you send proof of not paying?

I am thinking to respond by suggesting they find who paid in January 2017 and ask them to settle the matter.

Edited by dx100uk
Spacing

No dont respond

No dont respond

Thanks, if they want to try their luck with court then let them pay a fee, then lose :-)

And as if by magic, N1 has arrived from Northampton. Issue date 28 Aug, so clock starts ticking Sept 1st ? 5 days (depending how they are counted) to day of service.

Pointers please - I'm very rusty :-)

title amended - moved to legals

Thanks, very quick response, that's given us something to do today...

In order for us to help you we require the following information:-

Name of the Claimant ? Cabot

Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to. 28 AUG 2018

Date of issue XX + 19 days ( 5 day for service + 14 days to acknowledge) = 14th Sept (Sat) + 14 days to submit defence = XX (33 days in total) - 28 Sept

^^^^^ NOTE : WHEN CALCULATING THE TIMELINE - PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THE DATE ON THE CLAIMFORM IS ONE IN THE COUNT [example: Issue date 01.03.2014 + 19 days (5 days for service + 14 days to acknowledge) = 19.03.2014 + 14 days to submit defence = 02.04.2014] = 33 days in total

Particulars of Claim

What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? Please type out their particulars of claim in full (verbatim) less any identifiable data and round the amounts up/down.

The Claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant(s) under a contract between the Defendants(s) and Hfc Bank Plc dated on or about May 04 2006 and assigned to the Claimant on Oct 05 2017

Particulars a/c no xxxxxxxx

DATE ITEM VALUE

22/06/2018 Default Balance 3676.xx

Post Refl Cr NIL

TOTAL 3676.xx

Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? YES

What is the total value of the claim? 3941 (incl court & legal rep fees)

Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Loan

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? May 2006

Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ? NO

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Assigned

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? NO

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? NO

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Default sums” – at least once a year ? NO

Why did you cease payments? Unemployment

What was the date of your last payment? perhaps 2009 via CCCS

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? Not that I'm aware of

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management planicon? Used CCCS for a while but eased around 2009, unsure. CCCS (Stepchange) have no record now, they say it must be more than 6 years

re. CPR 31.14 Request - no documents are mentioned in the claim so skip this step ? Sending CCA request later today when postal order has been obtained.

Assignment and default are mentioned within the particulars...but as the debt is statue barred its your choice if you wish to utilise the CPR 31.14.

Section 77 request for loans.

Statute barred defence....(must be submitted by Friday 28th Sept 4.00pm)

1 The Claimant's claim was issued on (insert date).

2 The Defendant contends that the Claimant's claim so issued is a claim in contract and is statute barred pursuant to the provisions of section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980. If, which is denied, the claimant contends that the Defendant is in breach of the alleged contract, in excess of 6 years have elapsed since the date on which any cause of action for breach accrued for the benefit of the Claimant.

3 The Claimant's claim to be entitled to payment of £(insert amount claimed) or any other sum, or relief of any kind is denied.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

In a previous letter, Reston's claim the last payment was made on 30 January 2017 yet the loan termination date was 31 January 2008. Do we need to request details of that alleged payment? Step-daughter is positive she didn't pay anything after her dealings with CCCS were dropped in 2009.

Do we need to mention and refute that in the response to court as Reston's are using that as their reason to claim against this being statute barred ?

Well you need to be positive before submitting a statute barred defence......you cant amend it after.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Well you need to be positive before submitting a statute barred defence......you cant amend it after.

That's why I was asking. She didn't make any such payment and I don't want to miss an important point in making the defence.