Data Protection Breach?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last autumn I checked my credit file and I saw loads of credit searches that looked like insurance - Aviva etc and probably a quote website, lots of mentions of LexisNexis.

I then noticed that the date of birth given for the search wasn't mine - it was incorrect.

So a fraudulent search had been attempted and what's worse, the credit reference agency had allowed it to happen and given out my data to loads of entities when the data used was partially wrong - surely this should have been spotted and therefore prevented from happening?

I reported every search to the CRA and they deleted them.

If that weren't bad enough later on I got a letter from a car insurance company saying my care insurance had been cancelled - well I don't have a care or even a driving licence. So clearly because my data had been transmitted fraud had now been allowed to happen.

I phoned the insurance company and told them it wasn't me, and also managed to get the person to admit that the data of birth was wrong. I wrote them a letter after the phone call complaining that they had allowed fraud to happen despite using bad data that should have been spotted. They wrote back saying they have sophisticated systems blah blah.

They also said that they hadn't applied any negative markers and that I could use this letter as proof that I had done nothing wrong - to me that implies they have done something to my data like put me on a database saying identity fraud or whatever that may affect my ability to get insurance?

I find this really annoying because I hate not being in control of my data/being on secret databases and I have done nothing wrong.

Should I complain to ICO + FOS?

I'm going to GDPR the car insurance company now to see what they have on me and then ask if as a result of thier negligence they have sent my data to any third parties, which they have never had my permission to do.