fletch70

Do I tell?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 464 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I have just finished my degree course and am therefore able to claim the dreaded UC- the year end date for the course was 30th June 2018.

As part of the questions they ask is what do I want to do to increase my employability. I have included further study as an option

Do I tell the work coach I have been offered a place to study for an MA starting 1st Oct so in reality i am looking for benefit for 3 months - if I am honest I would be happy with just my rent being paid as I have some part time work ( a few hours a week) that along with what I have left in the bank would just about get me through the summer - I do mean just about, no frills , no drink and luxuries

So do people think its a good idea to to say i am in the market for a full time job or that i have something lined up from 1st Oct and will be signing off then.

I don't want to give them any excuse not to pay

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

I would be open and honest with everyone.

You claim based on your circumstances now.

Don't complicate matters, as you cannot report a change in circumstances in advance to UC, as their system does not accept advance change notification.

Just follow the process advised to you.

Once you have submitted your claim, you will have a to-do list of what information you need to supply.

Once you have verified the claim by going to a Job Centre, you will be asked to attend a commitment review meeting.

If you earn less than about £400 a month, you will be required to look for more work hours and regular reviews (about once a month).

If you earn between about £400 and £1100 a month, you will be in their light touch regime, where they encourage you to increase work pay and you might be asked to attend the Job Centre a couple of times a year.

So once you have the claim up and runnng, you should get paid first payment after 5 weeks and then on the same date a month later.

When you get to 1st October or relevant date where student financing takes over, you advise UC of your change in circumstances and because of the change, you will have to close the claim as you are then not eligible for help.

Your problem is going to be the possibility of the time gap, where UC stops paying and you receive alternative payment from student finance.

If you start your UC claim today 1st July, your normal payment date will be the 8th of the month I think.

First payment 8th of August, second payment 8th of September, third payment 8th of October.

If you informed UC on 1st October that student finance was going to take over, you might not receive October payment.

you need to think about this.

As long as you inform UC within reasonable time of the change happening, you will have done nothing wrong.

They will calculate whether there has been any overpayment and you can negotiate repayment over a peeiod.

UC is a fairly easy process, IF claimants do everything asked of them, at the time it is asked. If people delay providing any information and/or seek to complicate matters, then that it where it goes wrong.

Edited by dx100uk
quote spacing

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the advice

My earnings will be below £400 a month but I may well be able to up them, one of the issues is many of the shifts are 2-3 hours long. Once I take out travel costs and the clawback UC take it means I work for about 50p and hour - I can discuss this with the work coach.

I have submitted my application- the online identity check wouldn't work but it says it has so that is odd. My next job is to make an appointment with the work coach so I will call them tomorrow.

The point about payment dates is really worth knowing - clearly i don't want to do anything wrong but it would be much easier to pay back than chase them for money

Although term starts officially 1st Oct. that week is registration etc and lectures don't start until the 8th which will be crunch time for me.

Thank you UB, as always a great source of advice and info

Although UC is paid in arrears and whatever the situation at the end of an assessment period is paid out, any reported change near to the assessment end period can cause problems. For a payment due around 7th or 8th, would be processed about 3 working days beforehand. So if money is going to be tight, you need to remember this.

Just make sure you advise of the change to student finance within reasonable time.

You may be asked to supply a copy of the student finance document so they can see when the finance starts.

This can be taken to a Job Centre close to University or ask UC helpline for a document upload to-do to be created, so you can scan and upload.

Edited by dx100uk
quote spacing

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks again. It should help as I am a mature student and live in my own home.

To be fair, money will be tight but not impossible if the Oct payment is late but it will be much less stressful for me not to have to chase it.

I will be able to do a rough calculation of any overpayment and set that aside.

I am lucky in that July's rent is paid so if it all works out my August and Sept rents will each be a week late and my LL should be OK with that.

As you may realise I don't deal with unknowns very well so your words are really helpful

Thanks again.

Edited by dx100uk
quote spacing

My son just finished college, he tried to claim JSA and was told he couldn't because officially he is still enrolled in college until September,

i have read about a few people saying the same thing but because he is going to uni in September housing benefit still consider him a student and I still get my housing benefit.

My son just finished college, he tried to claim JSA and was told he couldn't because officially he is still enrolled in college until September,

i have read about a few people saying the same thing but because he is going to uni in September housing benefit still consider him a student and I still get my housing benefit.

I probably fall in slightly different rules because I am a mature student

Anyway had my first real job search review today - I was told to keep doing what I am doing and update my journal. Might have helped I got paid just over £400 at the end of July but after UC take their 63% and the council their 20% it was hardly worth it.

I did tell him I had been offered a place on the MA but was deciding if I could afford to go - I will have minimum work paid at the end of August and again very little at the end of Sept. I do have a fair bit of work the last two weeks of Sept but that will get paid in Oct after I have 'signed off'

Just thought I would update

My job coach has been an absolute delight, this month I was with him for about 10 minutes

he knows I am (in all probability) starting my MA in Oct and also knows I do look at Unitemps everyday or so for new casual and part time work. Non of my hours had been picked up by the system this month and he was fine with that (no doubt they will be picked up next month- I get paid on 31st).

We have arranged one last meeting for the last week in September . I asked if they would need proof I had closed my claim and said no, they would just be glad to get another person off the books. As for closing the claim the advice matched what has already been suggested although I am sure that was unofficial.

I would however say the whole concept of making work pay is a total fallacy.

UC take 63% of earnings and my local council take a further 20% off council tax relief meaning on an £8 PH job I clear £1.36 per hour. Once you deduct travel costs , unless the shift is at least 5 hours , I would actually be out of pocket.

While my travel pass was active up until 23rd July and since I bought the new one in late August I think I did one days work