Can't I just refuse to pay the penalty charges in the first place?

Nick [D]vB

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5547 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Barclays have just closed my current account because I exceeded my overdraft limit and could not make the re-payments in time.

I have repaid all debt and interest charges [to the penny] but the total amount for "Paid Referral" penalty fees [£210 since I opened the account about a year ago] is still outstanding.

Can I just refuse to pay these charges and if so what is the correct procedure for doing this? Has anyone had success in this aproach with Barclays before?

Thanks in advance, keep up the good work guys.

Cheers,

Nick

I understand your thinking but, as far as aI am aware, there's no facility to do this. They do not accept that their charges are illegal.

You need to go through the procedure and claim in the same way as we are doing.

To follow my case progress, click here to see where I'm at right now.

Welshman

I really wouldn't do that Nick - it could put you into a much worse position.

I'd pay the penalty charges and make sure you send a letter telling them that they are not authorised to pass your information to the CRAs or you could find that they enter a default notice against you.

Also, make sure you send them a letter clearly stating "THIS ACCOUNT IS IN DISPUTE".

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.