• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

old welcome secured loan - sigma/exprto/lowell - Confused - who owns my secured loan now?

DavieF
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1346 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what date is on the charge from the deeds please?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

which is the starting date of the statement in the sar

so what info are you missing?

there is no indication I was a refinance on the agreement

so why do you think you have data missing from welcome?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I'm confused dx, I don't think welcome have missed any data. They haven't provided me with any data since I sent the initial SAR.

The lowells statements begin from when they took the loan over, there doesn't appear to be information missing from their SAR.

Apologies if I'm not grasping this!

you keep indicate 'something' before the Lowell statements

but they show initial balance at the start of the loan

so you must be mistaken?

and they

Ah ok, The Lowells statement only start six years ago or so and record the balance from that date going forward.

I haven't received anything from WF to cover the period prior to Lowells (other than the information I already had on file from years ago).

Apologies for the confusion.

the agreement was feb 2007

the statements start feb 2007

the charge is from feb 2007

so are you saying you had a loan before this one?

im really trying to workout what info you think you are missing?

and they

There's a period between 2011 where the WF info ends and 2013 when lowells started, where I don't have any information, I don't suppose it's a massive period of time in the grand scheme of things.

I was just working on the assumption there might be a load of charges in that period since its the period prior to it getting transferred over to the dca.

that's true.

so write to welcome

ref the SAR of XX date

ref the phone call

ref you want statement from nov 2010 going forward.

give them 14 days to reply

else you'll open a complaint with the ICO

and they

• 3 months later...

Hi all and happy new year!

I just wanted to give an update on the situation with WF just in case anyone is in a similar situation.

I finally received my SAR from WF which had all my paperwork covering all the relevant years.

I then drafted a complaint to them with a list of all the things I wanted answers too.

I have now had a response from them.

Here are a few of the things from my complaint that were interesting reading:

I asked who Blue Sky and SLS were and what fees were paid to them

- they confirmed these were brokers but no fees had been charged

(I find this hard to believe, brokers working for free?!?)

I asked for a legible copy of my loan agreement as the one provided is barely legible

- they enlarged the blurred copy and sent it back (funnily enough, I still cant read it)

I asked for an explanation of the harassment I had received at my work and home from WF employees,

in particular I asked about two incidents where they spoke to a neighbour and my mother about my financial difficulties as neither of these incidents were recorded on their communications log

- they apologised for the harassment and said they could not see any such incidents on the communications log

(they are not on the communication log hence my reason for asking!!!:-x)

I asked why our house value had been significantly overstated by them.

We gave them an estimated house value and they have overstated it to show an LTV of 81%, had they used our figures the LTV would have been over 100%.

There was no equity in the property, we had just purchased it via 110% NR mortgage which WF were aware.

I assume if they had used our value the loan would not have been approved?

WF responded by saying the house value and equity is irrelevant and the loan was approved based purely on our income

- I'm not sure I understand this, it was a secured loan

- is the equity not what the loan is secured against?

if it had been based purely on income should it not have been a personal loan?

Some other things that cropped up were,

we were offered no advice whatsoever on the risks at the time of taking out the loan,

no cooling off period or cancellation notice were provided,

no default notices were ever issued (they have now provided these),

I also asked for a copy of the terms and conditions of the loan as I want to see if the balance can be transferred to a new property but they haven't been able to provide these either.

I have issues with the balance of the loan too,

the initial loan was 13k,

I have paid 13k now and the remaining balance is around 12k,

however, the interest was frozen around 10 years ago so I'm not understanding how there can still be 12k left to pay.

I am continuing to pay this though albeit slowly!

My next step is to take it to the financial ombudsman and hopefully get a more satisfactory response from them.

I will update with any success.

DF

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

your statements should detail why you still owe £12k...charges, fees, PPI or WHY?

and they

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I just wanted to send a quick update on my position with welcome finance and possibly get advice on the next step. 

I have a complaint in with the fso regarding welcome, I haven't had any outcome yet but did get an email stating they were still waiting on information from welcome. 

Anyway today in the post, I had a letter from the dca, lowells offering a whopping 60% discount if I settle before May 7.

Now I've asked for full and final settlement before and been told not a chance so why now? Are welcome panicking or am I wishful thinking? 

I don't have any funds to pay it anyway so I can't do anything. Should I acknowledge the letter or ignore it until I get a response from the fso? 

Thanks in advance 

oh dear Lowell realise they have a lemon on their hands then finally!.

and they

OK I had got my hopes up there too but I've just checked my email and there's a response from the adjudicator dealing with my case at fso.

So he says when welcome got into financial difficulty some years ago, they became protected by "the scheme" meaning customers can't raise claims, he says he believes we weren't advised of this at the time and sympathises but cannot uphold the complaint on the basis welcome are covered by the scheme.  This seems really unfair to me since I'd never heard of this scheme until recently. 

He did say we could get someone to look into this further for us. 

I'm not sure where to go with this now. We can't afford to pay the reduced settlement.  

Should we ask the fso to look into agsin or is it pointless? 

Or should I start communicating with lowells to get something lower? 

Im struggling to figure out why they're now offering this discount if the complaint can't be upheld. 

you don't need to  rush into anything.

one outstanding question I cant see answered having reviewed the thread is this:

is this a joint loan that is secured on your current property

and

is the property jointly owed too?

next.

you have all the info regarding all the statements to date now, I notice earlier £100's of charges , did you ever quantify those in our spreadsheet?

ok under the scheme you'll never get them back.

you like 10000 of others now have your hands tied somewhere by the waiver the FCA gave welcome finance [well the cattles group] when welcome collapsed

but it could well produce a bigger stick to bash lowells with.

as for appealing to the FOS again or taking it to the ombudsman himself rather than what the adjudicator says alone, I don't think you'll get anywhere sadly.

and they

It is a joint loan on a jointly owned property. 

We plan to sell next year but paying welcome the full amount would eat massively into our deposit. 

I'd be happy to pay the reduced settlement on sale but would they agree to that? It's still a year away.  if they get wind of a sale they'll want the full amount?

The 100s of charges were detailed in my complaint to fso. Is it something to possibly write to lowells about? Say I'd settle for the 60% reduction minus all the charges? 

I'm so annoyed with the fso outcome but the 60% reduction is at least a massive step forward so something positive to work on at least 

sadly rarely do the FOS side with the customer on charges

why not do the CISHEET

lets see what figure all the unlawful charges gander?

the issue here is though will lowells remove the charge upon settlement?

and they

Thanks ill do the spreadsheet and let you know the outcome. 

Should I write to lowells and say I can't afford this at this time and see what they say? 

Are they known for not removing charges? I had assumed if you settled even a reduced amount the charge would be removed? Is this not the case? 

I feel so stuck now since the fso won't help. 

I don't think ive ever seen any lowells thread where they've inherited a charge and what they do about it.

i'd have to go look

or you can..

use the custom google search top right

and they

Thsnks dx, I'll have a nose myself. 

If I I can figure out where to conjure up 4.5k to pay the reduced settlement, there's no way I'd pay it without written confirmation from them that they'd remove the charge. 

I wonder, should I send them a letter just now saying I am trying to come up with funds to agree a reduced settlement but could they confirm in the meantime that the charge would be removed? Least that way I'd have confirmation before proceeding? 

Edited by DavieF
Spelling

the issue I see is the charge is not in their name

its easy for them to get it changed mind

vbut I certainly would never go pay any fleecing DCA anything before you get everything in black and white

EXACTLY as you require things to pan out.

I would pers demand they mark the debt as settled not partial. as well.

just to resit things

has this never been defaulted by welcome years ago?

and they

Thanks dx,  I couldn't afford to pay what they are offering now anyway so no payment will be getting made.  

I will write to them anyway and just say that I cant afford to make a payment for that amount, however, ask them to confirm that they would remove the charge and mark the debt as fully settled if I were to settle in the future  (FYI this debt has never appeared on me or my partners credit file for some unknown reason). 

I defaulted with Welcome years ago and they issued default notices at the time.   

I cant figure out why Lowells have suddenly offered a reduced settlement when the FSO can uphold the complaint, I would of thought they'd hold out for all they can get since apparently I don't have a leg to stand on now.  Is it anything to do with them not being able to produce a legible credit agreement, if they cant enforce the loan are they just trying to get what they can?  

FOS not FSO ...that's an orchestra!!

pers id not enter into pointless letter tennis yet

and they