• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Brighthouse Problem Again

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4496 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You may be better sending copies by recorded delivery as well (to the store and head office). I found it difficult to get a response from Brighthouse by email - but Anne Healey is good for a try - [email protected]

You could always send them the following as well:

Dear Sir/Madam

Account Ref xxxx

Please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing.

Should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

Yours faithfully

AND

-HARASSMENT WARNING-

WARNING;PROTECTION FROM HARASSMENT ACT 1997;

WARNING; COMMUNICATIONS ACT 2003, S127.

TELEPHONE NUMBER

Re: Harassment by telephone

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXX

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing.

I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving calls.

I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only.

I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company will be recorded.

Yours faithfully,

[NAME HERE]

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As you are in Scotland, you will need this "no visits" letter instead:

Dear Sir/Madam

Account Ref xxxx

Please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing.

Should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under Scots Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc. Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives, to visit me at my property and if you attempt to send such a collector to my home, you will also be reported for harassment and I shall seek damages for a delict of trespass. You would also be liable for conspiring in a delict of trespass by acting in defiance of my instructions and sending someone to visit me nevertheless. Should it be necessary, I will obtain an interdict from the Court to prevent you carrying out your threat.

Yours faithfully

• 2 weeks later...

Hi this is BOH_GIRL I have just had a letter through stating that they will not send anyone to my door and that I will not receive any more calls - they are not prepared to accept my £5 a week payment and have said that my items are not essential and therefore they will take them back - (a tv and a washing machine) what is the best plan of action for me now?

Boh_girl

How long have you left on your agreements? If you have paid over a third then Brighthouse MUST get a court order to remove the goods. NEVER sign anything if they turn up to collect them! Also, before they go down this route they MUST send you a default notice AND give you 14 days to rectify the arrears. Keep the letter safe in which they have refused the £5 per week payment. Trust me, if this ever went to court (unlikely) then a judge would only order you to pay an amount YOU can afford (which, as your on benefits could be just £1 per month). Brighthouse know this, which is why they are unlikely to take this route.

Even though they say they will not accept £5 per week, I would still go in a pay it - even if you have to put it in the yellow money. This then shows YOU have attempted to make a payment and it is them that are refusing.

Here is a bit of bad news . The company are now in the throes of instigating LEGAL ACTION again I don't know what has braught this about but they are obviously not happy with the amount of asset losses that they are accrueing .We hear on this forum about the attitude of staff and don't realise that there is an awful lot of not nice people who have absolutely no intentions of paying their account They can be very unpleasant and abusive. It's these people that have possibly forced the company to start this action .padre

Here is a bit of bad news . The company are now in the throes of instigating LEGAL ACTION again I don't know what has braught this about but they are obviously not happy with the amount of asset losses that they are accrueing .We hear on this forum about the attitude of staff and don't realise that there is an awful lot of not nice people who have absolutely no intentions of paying their account They can be very unpleasant and abusive. It's these people that have possibly forced the company to start this action .padre

That's EXCELLENT news, not bad news...

The court system is there to provide a fair and balanced viewpoint for both parties, and I believe that most of the problems we see at CAG would have been resolved fairly and correctly if BrightHouse had simply taken the correct and legal action in the first place.

It's absolutely nothing to do with the "awful lot of not nice people who have absolutely no intentions of paying their account", it's simply BrightHouse acting correctly and following guidelines provided by the FSA and the CCA... at long last... ;)

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

LEFTY. Here's why i think it's bad news . Only a tiny fraction .if any of the cust. taken to court actually contest it Not all cust read this forum IF ONLY THEY DID. So what happened previously was that the Co took the cust to couet ,the cust had no representation so the court found in favour of the Co. and granted them an INJUCNTION/DECREE. to recover their goods. The BAILIFFS/SHERIFF OFFICERS would then carry out their function The Co will and have not taken enyone to court that has an ongoing dispute with them until the dispute is resolved. Common sense dictates that. As for your other point ,BH have over 300.000+ customers and not all are saint The abuse and foul language along with threats that are endured can be hard to take. Are you not being a bit naive to think that we only trake people to court who have disputes with us . Of these 300.000+ cust. there are plenty who CAN PAY but WON'T PAY. these are the cust we take to court and in my mind rightly so . REGARDS PADRE

LEFTY. Here's why i think it's bad news . Only a tiny fraction .if any of the cust. taken to court actually contest it Not all cust read this forum IF ONLY THEY DID. So what happened previously was that the Co took the cust to couet ,the cust had no representation so the court found in favour of the Co. and granted them an INJUCNTION/DECREE. to recover their goods. The BAILIFFS/SHERIFF OFFICERS would then carry out their function The Co will and have not taken enyone to court that has an ongoing dispute with them until the dispute is resolved. Common sense dictates that. As for your other point ,BH have over 300.000+ customers and not all are saint The abuse and foul language along with threats that are endured can be hard to take. Are you not being a bit naive to think that we only trake people to court who have disputes with us . Of these 300.000+ cust. there are plenty who CAN PAY but WON'T PAY. these are the cust we take to court and in my mind rightly so . REGARDS PADRE

I absolutely agree. And I also know how difficult life can be for anyone working in the hight street retail sector - particularly if working for a brand such as BrightHouse. The employee is simply a uniform, and not a person... (My own daughter encounters daily abuse, agression and threats - and she is just doing a temp summer job in a cinema selling pop-corn and Coco-Cola!!!!)

BUT...

I still believe in the UK court system, which is there to "protect" both parties.

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

;)

LEFTY But the problem is in our line people don.t get legal aid to fight a debt case and most if not all our cust don.t challenge court action .so with no one to put their case forward the court just go ahead and grant the injunctions padre.

• 3 months later...

i am have currently having dealings with bright house regards a tv. i recently had a few personal problems so could not pay. i ended up giving one item back requesting money back off them. they first of all agreed then on return have now said no. i still have there tv , now the story to this is i got this tv without service cover and on three occasions before i fell behind asked if they would take it back they said no. so now i fell behind they say they will take it back as a good will gesture so i said no. this guy thinks he is just going to walk in my house and take it ...VERY BIG MISTAKE... this is not going to happen he was persistant in saying he would get in my house. they had there chance to take back long time ago so they can pass it on to these tough collectors . woop woop only one winner guys stay strong dont be bullied im not.

i am have currently having dealings with bright house regards a tv. i recently had a few personal problems so could not pay. i ended up giving one item back requesting money back off them. they first of all agreed then on return have now said no. i still have there tv , now the story to this is i got this tv without service cover and on three occasions before i fell behind asked if they would take it back they said no. so now i fell behind they say they will take it back as a good will gesture so i said no. this guy thinks he is just going to walk in my house and take it ...VERY BIG MISTAKE... this is not going to happen he was persistant in saying he would get in my house. they had there chance to take back long time ago so they can pass it on to these tough collectors . woop woop only one winner guys stay strong dont be bullied im not.

Hi - and welcome to CAG

Not entirely sure why you thought you would get money back after returning an item? :confused: The payments you made were simply hire charges. It's a hire purchase agreement. You do not own the item until the final payment. You are simply hiring it until then.

If you can no longer afford the (hire) payments on your TV, just return it and be done with it.

It sounds to me like BrightHouse have been more than fair with you.

If you absolutely insist on being pedantic with them (remember - it's THEIR television, and not yours) just remind them that they will need a court order to force you to return it.

Cheers

Lefty

;)

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone i removed my "optional service cover"from my brighthouse account and had everything rewritten and i resigned lots.Does this now mean ive lost all my rights as paying over a third and other things as i noticed on the receipt that all my items are now used.Nothing was explained to me about this and im going to ring them asap.i also need to miss one week payment whats the best advice on that.well more like i will owe 2 weeks when i ring but i can only pay one week the store manager in my local town is absolutely unapproacheable she is so far up her a** its unreal.cheers in advance

hi everyone i removed my "optional service cover"from my brighthouse account and had everything rewritten and i resigned lots.Does this now mean ive lost all my rights as paying over a third and other things as i noticed on the receipt that all my items are now used.Nothing was explained to me about this and im going to ring them asap.i also need to miss one week payment whats the best advice on that.well more like i will owe 2 weeks when i ring but i can only pay one week the store manager in my local town is absolutely unapproacheable she is so far up her a** its unreal.cheers in advance

No you have not lost your legal rights. If you are struggling to pay then i suggest you contact Brighthouse as soon as possible and tell them about yout situation. I would also write to the head office explaing that you have to miss a payment.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

• 2 weeks later...

hi, I my self have been having trouble with brighthouse and i think its about we as the consumer did something about. I have set up a group on facebook (brighthose rob and harass the poor lets stop the stupid charges) I want as many people as possible to join this group. I will do as much research as I can into our rights. So come on people join this group and lets see if the power of the consumer can do anything about the way brighthouse work. I find it wrong that they prey on people on a low income and benefits. Lets fight for our rights!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi i recently had a re-furbished tv from brighthouse and also a ps3. My payment day has always been a saturday but i have always paid on a friday just to keep up with payments. A few weeks ago i was unable to get to the store on the friday so was going to pay on the saturday, my due day. When i got home the friday night i had 3 arsy voice messages to say that my account was no in arrears and that i would incur a late payment fee...even though my payment wasn't due til the saturday. Anyway I have only made 8 weekly payments since receiving my items, and am refusing to pay anymore. If anyone knocks my door, i will refuse to answer, can anyone let me know of the rights they have...and if they have the rights to kick my door off, or get a locksmith to enter my home to collect the goods? Thanks. =)

Hi dizzyduck, im not sure if this is going to help much, i was given the address of the finance company that Brighthouse deals with from Left, Site Team, try writing to them and explain what has happened, send it recorded mail so you know they will get it also send the same letter to your Brighthouse branch recorded delivery, and take it from there hun, hopefully it will then get sorted, best of luck, Anna

Oops forgot to give the address lol, its Caversham Finance Ltd,

5, Hercules Way,

Leavesden Park,

Watford,

WD25 7GS

hi all,

i have a problem with brighthouse and wander if anyone else has the same problem, i got a used tumble for £2-19 a week for 100 weeks recently checked and thats changed to £2-59 for 135 weeks i got a used tv on a managers special for a 60 week term was never given the agreement and thats changed to 100 weeks thats almost £400 extra i have phoned head office who are all so nice but 4 weeks later still no contact from the area manager, is this a new problem or a common problem with brighthouse.

oh if anyone needs it the head office number is 0800526069

Dizzyduck/Original Moonchild,

I'm not sure that writing to Caversham Finance will get you anywhere. They are a wholly owned part of BrightHouse, solely set up to provide the finance for BrightHouse customers, the name came from the Caversham part of Reading where BrightHouse head office was.

Better off trying the area manager or BrightHouse Head office themselves as Caverham Finance will probably re-direct you back to your branch

• 2 months later...

Right people, ex brighthouse employee here.

Before i started with the company i came on here and had a look at several forums and thought to myself wow this company is really run by cowboys and have very little respect for people, however having worked for the company my opinion has drastically changed. I couldn't believe the amount of abuse the staff get from customers in store over the phone and at the door just for asking the customer when they can make a payment, it beggars belief how people can talk to people like that, people have been threatened etc...

Firstly yes they are and have taken people to court which i agree with because there are too many people with the belief they can get goods for nothing or refuse to hand goods over this shows they mean business and sets an example for others trying to [problem] the place.

Secondly for people who are struggling with there payments and keep getting hassled by phone calls etc.. if you miss payments with your bank loan then you will get hassled, if you don't pay your water or gas and electricity people will ring you and will come knocking so whats your problem?

Thirdly going back to the very first post on the woman on benefits who had a few agreements and came into financial difficulty. If you cant pay for the goods then hand them back especially the non essential items such as (40- 42 inch TV's, several laptops and desktops) why would someone on benefits need items that are not deemed as essential. My advice to her is to hand over the non essential items which im sure she has or half of the goods which would result in the debt for the item and any late fees being written off and get her back on track with payments on her remaining items.

People seem to think if they make a few payments the items are theirs and they are entitled to money back, er no, read your contract bright house = rent to own i.e the goods do not belong to you until you have made that last payment.

Lastly many of you think its clever not to open doors when you are blatantly in the house. This again shows ignorance and a total disregard and having no intention of paying for items, word of warning, debt collectors don't take kindly to being ignored or people taking the ****. We all know debt collectors have very little powers so if the debt collector is not bringing in the money for bright house then his/her job is inevitably going to be at risk and who is to blame the customer. Debt collectors are becoming a bit more ruthless now and wanting revenge especially if they have been told to F off at the door or have been threatened, so keep an eye out on your cars etc.

Right people, ex brighthouse employee here.

Before i started with the company i came on here and had a look at several forums and thought to myself wow this company is really run by cowboys and have very little respect for people, however having worked for the company my opinion has drastically changed. I couldn't believe the amount of abuse the staff get from customers in store over the phone and at the door just for asking the customer when they can make a payment, it beggars belief how people can talk to people like that, people have been threatened etc...

Firstly yes they are and have taken people to court which i agree with because there are too many people with the belief they can get goods for nothing or refuse to hand goods over this shows they mean business and sets an example for others trying to [problem] the place.

Secondly for people who are struggling with there payments and keep getting hassled by phone calls etc.. if you miss payments with your bank loan then you will get hassled, if you don't pay your water or gas and electricity people will ring you and will come knocking so whats your problem?

Thirdly going back to the very first post on the woman on benefits who had a few agreements and came into financial difficulty. If you cant pay for the goods then hand them back especially the non essential items such as (40- 42 inch TV's, several laptops and desktops) why would someone on benefits need items that are not deemed as essential. My advice to her is to hand over the non essential items which im sure she has or half of the goods which would result in the debt for the item and any late fees being written off and get her back on track with payments on her remaining items.

People seem to think if they make a few payments the items are theirs and they are entitled to money back, er no, read your contract bright house = rent to own i.e the goods do not belong to you until you have made that last payment.

Lastly many of you think its clever not to open doors when you are blatantly in the house. This again shows ignorance and a total disregard and having no intention of paying for items, word of warning, debt collectors don't take kindly to being ignored or people taking the ****. We all know debt collectors have very little powers so if the debt collector is not bringing in the money for bright house then his/her job is inevitably going to be at risk and who is to blame the customer. Debt collectors are becoming a bit more ruthless now and wanting revenge especially if they have been told to F off at the door or have been threatened, so keep an eye out on your cars etc.

Right people...

Here we go, another over-enthusiastic BrightHouse employee trampling over thousands of pounds worth of PR... :sad:

...Either that, or a wind up!

Cheers

Lefty

;)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4496 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks