• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Problems with Halifax SAR & PPI

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2142 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Recently I came across some old account numbers and decided to check if any might have had PPI on them and if I might be able to claim anything on them prior to the deadline next year.

As I have no details other than the banks referance numbers I filled in the PPI Checker on the Halifax site where one of the account numbers was from.

I few days passed and I got a text this morning from Halifax saying "Felix, Thank you for your PPI Complaint, We'll communicate with you via SMS during the course of your complaint"

Now all I have done is check to see if I had PPI, I haven't made an actual complaint yet. Is this text just what they send out when they are checking if you even had PPI or does it look like they have found PPI on my old account and have auto opened a complaint?

Also I have heard that Banks may phone you up to ask you questions about your claim. I have Dyspraxia and would feel more comfortable being able to read questions carefully and think about my answers and put them in writing. Would I be within my rights to request any questions be put in writing?

sent them and sar

and never use their forms

only the FOS questionnaire!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for your reply. I have only used this forum to check if PPI was on the account: https://www.halifax.co.uk/contactus/how-to-complain/ppi-info/ppi-check-form/

I also used a similer form for my old Egg CC and Loan on the citibank (canada sq) site. https://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/ppicheckerform-egg.do

Have I damaged my chances by using these online forms? I only wanted to check the status of the PPI not officially start my PPI complaint yet. I see that SARs should be free after the 25th of May so will send them out then.

I will take a look at the FOS Questionnaire, it actually says that the FOS shouldn't be used until you have exhausted the banks own process for complaining and have your final letter from the bank, please could you advise why I should not use the banks forms?

Edited by FelixFelix

No you haven't damage your chances and you are completely within your rights to refuse to speak to them on the telephone and to require that they deal with you in writing.

It would probably be a good idea if you send them a written letter claiming back the ppi so that they have got a paper trail and more importantly you have too

Ok I will see if they get back to me regarding PPI checker results in the next week or so and then send a SAR to them all after the 25th and I can see the new process.

Once I have all the information I will see if I can find a letter template for complaining on here and go ahead with my complaint in writing.

use the FOS Questionaire

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

always!

and they

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of preparing and sending out SAR's to 5 different banks who I believe miss sold me PPI. In some of the banks the complaints process is underway already but I just wanted the information they had to see for myself and to use if my complaint has to go to the FOS.

I have pretty much just used the template as is putting in my and the banks details and any account referance information I had or just "all accounts" and the dates I believe to be relevent i.e. 2000 - 2018 as I had no credit before that date. I also put in my previous address and my DOB. Other than that I have just used the template as provided, is this ok? The template is worded quite strongly which I feel a bit bad about but then the banks would have no hesitation at threatening us so perhaps I should feel ok about it.

Also there is the question of fees, the SAR itself is now free but the banks can issue charges if they decide your request is excessive. This worries me as I don't want to be hit with a bill I can't afford to pay. Is this likely and if so will they let me know before they carry out any data retrival I would have to pay for?

Any advice on these matters would be great.

Don't limit it. Leave it as wide open as possible. Use an account number in order to identify yourself but make it clear that you want all information they hold on you on any matter and in any form. If you think that the template is worded too strongly then amend it to suit your taste.

We have already suggested that if there is the slightest kind of delay or abuse of the new regime that you should be making an immediate complaint. If you don't like this then remove it. It's completely up to you.

You obviously haven't suffered sufficient abuse at the hands of the banks yet. Once you begin your PPI claims and push comes to shove, I expect you feel a bit differently. It is unlikely they will bill you – but are you saying that the possibility of it is going to prevent you from sending off an SAR? If the banks get wind of this kind of thing and they will soon start applying fees willy-nilly.

Your request may be excessive if it is repetitive. That seems to be about the only garden at the moment. So for instance, if you ask for all of your data and then in six months you asked for it again then I would have thought that repetitive request could be considered to be abusive. If you simply ask for the last six months since your previous request then that seems to me to be reasonable.

Yes of course they would let you know in advance.

Best idea is never to change anything

There is no actual need for any account numbers in reality

and they

Thank you both for your replies. I will take on board what you both have said and amend my SAR letters before posting them so that they are not limited in terms of time.

I don't have accounts numbers for all the banks as some of these accounts are old but will just put all accounts where this is the case.

Yes I think I am probably giving the banks too much credit or benefit of the doubt when I know they will most likely do what they can to refuse my claim. I do feel that the banks ruthlessly exploited me as a young person to such a degree I got in a terrible mess financially at a very young age. For this reason I couldn't bear to think about complaining about PPI for many years because it brought back such an awful time in my life. Anyway I am doing it now!

Thank you for the advice about charges and what they would class as repetitive. Hopefully I will not need to make a complaint about delays but if they do delay I will do so.

Thank you both again.

Dont ever use their forms or stupid resolver links

Always use the fos questionnaire available from the fca ppi website

Site is a worthy read too

and they

Last week I posted out a SAR (with previous addresses) to Halifax and I gave them an account / reference number which I believe was part of a hire purchase agreement dating from 2003.

Today I have received a letter from their archive team saying they cannot find anything in my name and asking for additional information. I called them to find out more details and they repeated the same information that essentially they have nothing on me at all.

I have already used the Halifax PPI checker and received text messages with a reference code for my PPI complaint.

I have had problems with this side of things also as they sent me a text 2 weeks ago asking me to hurry up and return the questionnaire to them however they had not sent me any acknowledgment letter or questionaire

. I called them then and they said they would post that out to me asap

. I still have not got that and called again today and they assure me this time that this is in the post to me now.

I just feel very much like I am being fobbed off and messed around by Halifax at the moment and also if the SAR team can find no details on me then it seems likely that I will get nowhere with my PPI complaint either.

Does anyone have any advise of where I can go now?

Could my banking details still be linked to the other banks Halifax used to be involved with?

Right now I feel like complaining to the FOS about how useless they are full stop.

Any PPI I might be due back from this is not that much but it does just annoy me at how useless they are being, Halifax and Capital one have so far been the worst!

I sent out all my SAR's last week so far I have two letters acknowledging the SAR in some way.

Will I receive an acknowledgment letter from all the banks I have sent SAR's to or is this not required?

Just I wouldn't want to get 40 days down the line and find out some were saying they never received the SAR at all!

4 threads merged for history

Please keep to one thread

and they

They have 30 days to do 'something ' if they dont

Off to the ICO

Did you not read the DGPR SAR before you sent it?

and they