Libertas

Recording (Utility Company) Calls - UPDATE

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 547 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi All,

In 2014 - there was a clarification from the Information Commissioners Office - on whether the domestic customers were allowed to record calls with utility companies. The article states that the ICO - said this was permissible:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-2683569/How-watertight-records-calls-online-chats-case-s-dispute-later.html

Now that we are in 2018 - and with all the new legislation that is being passed:

Can we get a crystal clear update about what we are allowed / not allowed to do?

This should cover - if/how/when we can use our copy in the pursuit of settling a dispute.

I think exploring this topic will help many of my fellow community members - as it is one of the very few ways consumers can demonstrate their honesty.

My sincere thanks to any, willing to help map this out.

I don't think there is any change. Read our customer services guide

How could we get a fresh update / clarification on this?

I'm certain that it would help many of us - to put our minds at rest.

You can record all you calls

Theres never been a law otherwise

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

If you need to use it in a dispute with a regulator or adjudicator of some sort - what are the rules governing the use of such recordings.

If there was need for the Journalist to reach out to the ICO for the purpose of the article I linked to above - there must've been a reason for doing so. Clearly there was the potential for confusion or a need for clarification.

I guess I'm trying to establish if there have been any novel changes to the rules/regs/law in the four years since - regarding recording & using?

If unsure - what would be the best vector to find out?

You send them an unredacted copyan

They become the data handler

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

spreadsheets 

If you need to use it in a dispute with a regulator or adjudicator of some sort - what are the rules governing the use of such recordings.

You simply inform the regulator/adjudicator you have a record of the phone call, and would they like a copy of it along with a transcript?

I guess I'm trying to establish if there have been any novel changes to the rules/regs/law in the four years since - regarding recording & using?

AFAIK none, nothing has changed, just that recording equipment has now become accessible to consumers so we're all on a level playing field.

If unsure - what would be the best vector to find out?

Depending on the question, the ICO? Recording calls is perfectly legal as it is for our own purpose, only if there were an issue/dispute then the call recording can be used,

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

You send them an unredacted copyan

They become the data handler

What do you mean?

Could I ask you to expand on this please and discuss it a bit - because I am not sure I fully understand it correctly.

if you wish you are quite within your legal right to send them a copy

what they do with it is their problem

they become the data controller under the DPA and ofcourse will have a data control officer/policy

spreadsheets