sparx

Faulty laptop hard disk

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 381 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all!

Bought a HP notebook/laptop end of December 2015. Early December 2017 (10 days approx before 2 years from purchase) it became slow, and "Bad Block" errors were logged in the event viewer. chkdsk and SeaTools were used to fix these initially however more occurred over the next 4-5 months. 92+ sectors have been found and reallocated so far. Files have been corrupted by this issue.

After discussions with Seagate support in May, they said that I had no warranty with them (which I knew), but if it was under warranty with these errors then they would look to replace the drive. Seagates standard OEM warranty is 3 years for their drives.

HP just stated the laptop was out of warranty and would not entertain any further discussion.

I sent a copy of the Seagate email, a copy of the SeaTools log, and screenshot showing the first Bad Block error to PC World CS, who replied (after poking with a stick as they didn't reply to my first email) stating it would be £65 to inspect the computer as out of warranty. My concern here is conflict of interest (Paying PC World to inspect for PC World to make a decision...)

Now I would not expect a hard disk to start failing at

Can PC World charge this £65 fee when claiming under CRA?

Any other useful tidbits re the CRA (Any important changes from the previous SOGA)?

Cheers!

ps: Our Sony Bravia that we were told by Currys would last only a year, after being repaired, is still going strong after the last battle, 6+ years on!

I have had more than a few bad experiences with Seagate drives.

Every one I have ever bought has failed in roughly the time period you describe.

From what I can gather from people in the industry they are well known for being sub-standard.

I always spend the extra £10 or £20 now and go for something like WD, or sometimes even Toshiba.

I think you'll have no trouble finding evidence for their unreliability. Hope your data was safely backed up.

Couldn't agree more with that tiger265

I've had loads of Seagate drives fail and now only use WD drives, in over 3 years, I've never had a single issue with any one of them, and I've even dropped them (while powered on) :shock:

We could use your help

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.

If I've helped you at all, please feel free to click on the little star under my posts and leave feedback :)

In this instance youll be onto a winner

Its outside of 6 mts so must be inspected

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

In this instance youll be onto a winner

Its outside of 6 mts so must be inspected

In what way onto a winner?

Currently in contact with a local computer repair shop who said they can inspect it, but i've yet to receive a response from KnowHow with regards to what they want the report to contain, and if I were to use KnowHows own team, if they would accept a blank drive.

I was hoping that based on the information already gained and provided (diags + seagate's position), and a once over in-store to check for signs of accidental/external damage would have been enough, rather than sending it off and around the country - I have read countless horror stories of items being damaged, and the then more complex challenge of getting reimbursed for that...

Ok over 6mts since purchase if making a claim against the retailers

Then under cra you must provide a ind report which when you win you get that back too

Should be an easy win esp with the seagate data

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here