BankFodder BankFodder

Boonbetty

Manhole covers on my property but not mine

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 604 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

There are five manhole covers on my driveway but the drains they cover are not to my property. I now want to re-surface my driveway and I've been quoted six thousand pounds. 1250 pounds of this is to deal with the manhole covers. Yorkshire Water sent someone out to look at them, but all they have done is replaced one cover that was cracked and therefore dangerous.

I could put up with the drains and covers if Yorkshire Water was prepared to contribute to the cost of setting them in the driveway properly. They are saying they are not prepared to do anything. The drains in question serve our next door neighbour and three other houses going the other way.

Does anyone know if there is any way I can force the issue?

Edited by Boonbetty

Presumably you moved into the property and they were already there.

This probably sounds a bit lame but I would start off making a complaint and saying that you wanted to go to the water ombudsman. I'm not sure it will produce much of a solution – but at least it is one avenue to try. I have to say that I am at a bit of a loss.

Cant see its anything to do with anyone else to contribute....

If you own the property then I think that you will have to have a careful look at the deeds to see if there is any reference to these covers and to any line of responsibility.

I have drain access covers within the grounds of my freehold property that also service nearby houses. When I bought the house my Solicitor pointed out the information in the deeds, that I was responsible for general maintenance and neighbours could have access to drain cover if they had any drainage issue to their houses.

One of the joys of owning a house :(

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The joys of CAG-bot’s auto-moderation.

I think that was meant to be Severn Trent water’s website, or st-water (but the website is without the “-“), leading to the resultant ‘naughty word’ being changed to **** !

For those still having problems:

https://tinyurl.com/y8mqvvqj

I have drain access covers within the grounds of my freehold property that also service nearby houses. When I bought the house my Solicitor pointed out the information in the deeds, that I was responsible for general maintenance and neighbours could have access to drain cover if they had any drainage issue to their houses.

One of the joys of owning a house :(

Ouch.

Your responsible for the pipework on your property too.

I hope none collapse.

Your ony hope is to prove that they are shared. Ie more than one household dumps ( sorry) into one sewer.

It is then the responsibility of the water board, which ever one it is.

I had a similar issue some years ago when the font of my property flooded.

United utilities wanted to bill me to come unblock them but when I told them its shared sewerages with next door they came out for free.

When I had my drive block paved I informed them and at first they refused to pay for a cowling and £100 for builder to fit it.

I said fine, ill have the builder pave over it as im not responsible for it.

They paid after they came out to inspect it.

When you bought the house you should have received a water services report in which all pipes and inspection covers/chambers are listed.

It is the water board responsibility to maintain and repair shared pipes (sewage, fresh water and surface water), but they won't pay for work around them.

You can't cover them either, unless you're prepared to have your driveway destroyed if something goes wrong in future.

As someone said: The joy of being a home owner.

https://www.sPiers Morganer.co.uk/help-and-contact/faqs/who-is-responsible-for-the-manhole-on-my-property/

Tw@t

the best one is no-one on CAG can come from sPiers Morganhorpe:lol: scun thorpe