Failure to notify insurance expired

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2123 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

My car insurance company told me not to worry I am on automatic renew and I didn't need to do anything. When I called to check something else (a few days past the auto renewal date) they told me it had expired - I was shocked!

- they failed to notify me that the auto-renewal didn't work

- failed to tell me that it expired in writing by post or email

They say they sent me a sms (text) message saying "contact them before renewal date to renew". I didn't see that ...and to be honest even if I had because I'd seen the e-mail telling me that I didn't need to do anything ....and had a conversation with and adviser a few weeks ago saying the same thing ....I thought i was covered and everything was fine.

Do I have any recourse here for compensation?

I'm cross at their poor service and that fact that they put me at risk as I could have been driving uninsured.

Please advise. Thanks

Have they renewed it now?

Has anything bad happened to you as a result? Are you out of pocket? If not why would you expect compensation, other than maybe a few quid for your time and trouble sorting it out?

They'll have a complaints procedure? Have you used it? If not that's the next thing to do

i reported the issue on the phone. I asked for the complaints procedure, they couldn't tell me, instead they logged it and said I had to wait 72 hours for Customer Relations to contact me.'

Nothing bad happened. I'm just upset that it may have done - they put me at risk of getting points on my licence. And I though that the money I had paid previously for the initial insurance would have covered a level of service to inform me of any issues or not having valid insurance. So i feel i paid for a 'service' that I didn't get. Yes bit of hassle suddenly finding out i'm not insured and having to negotiate again for insurance. Which they now have renewed. No major drama or anything bad happened. Just crappy service that put me and my family at risk as I wasn't insured when I thought i was.

They will have honoured the auto renewal they advised you of, so no lapse in cover.

Many Insurers have poor IT systems and these type of issues are not uncommon. I am doubting they sent the text, uniess you have actually seen it now. I reckon the auto renewal failed to be triggered and it was fortunate that you contacted them.

You could submit a written complaint and threaten to inform the FCA about the IT failure, so that they can review their performance.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread