Jump to content

Tied Property Rent Payment

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for info or advice.

In 2006 I was tupeed, I still have my original contract for reference, I also have a tenancy agreement that stated I needed to reside on site to perform my duties. My rent for the property would be based on a percentage of my basic salary.


When my new employer updated staff contracts in 2010, they didn't update or renew the original tenancy agreement, but they took a copy for their reference, my rent went up 3 times between 2011 & 2017 being deducted directly from my wages by the payroll office.

All three increases have been at a much higher percentage than the original agreement states. I have since discovered that a colleague that has now left, that held the same role and conditions, disputed the payments and only had one rent increase in line with his basic salary.


What I am trying to find out is should I receive a refund of the paid amount over the set percentage, if so, could I expect to claim interest on the over payment.


My current employer has never updated or renewed my tenancy agreement, only sent a letter each time stating the rent would be increasing.


I would be most grateful for opinions on this.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry - you should have disputed this at the time. TUPE protects the terms of an employee at the point of transfer. It is a fallacy that nothing can ever change thereafter. In your case they changed the rent. Perhaps they shouldn't have, but they did - and you accepted this and paid the agreed amount. Passing it is agreement to it. You didn't dispute the rent. So I can see no grounds for you to claim TUPE in retrospect simply because you have now noticed that the rent was increased more than what was in your original contract.


I don't see that you would have a valid claim in law- but you might ask. And if you want to take it further I think only legal advice would do, which is unlikely to be free. I don't suppose you are in a union?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The tenancy agreement was never amended or updated by my new employer, they copied the original for reference, but I have a letter from the then HR team leader that states the percentage of my salary to be paid for rent. Nothing to do with the TUPE and my new working contract. The new amounts were deducted from my wages. This refers only to the tenancy agreement, the other details were just background info.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

They told you what the new rent was, didn't they? And you paid it? That seemed to be what you were saying. That would constitute notice of a change ("here's your new rent amount") and agreement ("here's the rent"). You didn't dispute the amount. They didn't surely put up the rent without telling you it was going up? Your colleague must have been told, otherwise how could he have disputed it.


The issue here is that your are relying on a term that appears to have been legally varied without any dispute from you. And seven years later you area now disputing it, and that's too late. After seven years it really now is the contractual term - unless you can claim it isn't. And that's not going to be easy, hence the need to be clear and get legal advice if you want to dispute this.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Please fill in your quit date here

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Tweets

  • Our picks

    • A shocking story of domestic and economic abuse compounded by @BarclaysUKHelp ‏ bank complicity – coming soon @A_Gentle_Woman. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/415737-a-shocking-story-of-domestic-and-economic-abuse-compounded-by-barclaysukhelp-%E2%80%8F-bank-complicity-%E2%80%93-coming-soon-a_gentle_woman/
      • 0 replies
    • The FSA has announced large fines against DB UK Bank Limited (trading as DB Mortgages) - DeutscheBank and also against Redstone for their unfair treatment of their customers.
      Please see the links below for summaries and full details from the FSA website.
      It is now completely clear that any arrears charges which exceed actual administrative costs are unfair and therefore unlawful.
      Furthemore, irresponsible lending practices are also unfair and unlawful.
      Additionally there are other unfair practices including unarranged counsellor visits - even if they have been attempted.
      You are entitled to refuse counsellor visits and not incur any charges.
      Any charges for counsellor visits must not seek to make profits. The cost of the visits must be passed on to you at cost price.
      We are hearing stories of people being charged for counsellor visits for which there is no evidence that they were even attempted.
      It is clear that some mortgage lenders are trying to cheat you out of your money.
      You should ascertain how much has been taken from you and claim it back. The chances of winning are better than 90%. It is highly likely that the lender will attempt to avoid court action and offer you back your money.
      However, you should ensure that you receive a proper rate of interest and this means that you should be seeking at least restitutionary damages - which would be much higher than the statutory 8%.
      Furthermore, you should assess whether the paying of demands for unlawful excessive charges has also out you further into arrears and if this has caused you further penalties in terms of extra interest or any other prejudice. This should be claimed as well.
      If excessive unlawful charges have resulted in your credit file being affected, then you should take this into account also when working out exactly what you want by way of remedy from the lender.
      You should consult others on these forums when considering any offer.
      You must not make any complaint through the Ombudsman. your time will be wasted, you will wait up to 2 yrs and there will be a minimal 8% award of interest and no account will be taken of any other damage you have suffered.
      You must make your complaint through the County Court for a rapid and effective remedy.

      Do you have a mortage arears claim to make? Then post your story on the forum here
      • 0 replies
    • 30 Day Right To Reject - Vehicle Casualty Report. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/415585-30-day-right-to-reject-vehicle-casualty-report/
      • 17 replies
    • I am new here but very glad to find my way here and would welcome any input.
      i purchased a brand new campervan conversion from Hillside Leisure (175 miles from our home) on July 26th for £31,000 and, within 48 hours, during a storm, the alarm began to sound incessantly. We could not get it to stop, even after trying everything listed in the manual. We phoned Hillside on Saturday July 28th around 2.00pm. The young man who answered the phone said he would seek the advice of their technician and call us back, which he did. The technician told us that they, Hillside, couldn’t help, but that we should take the van to Nissan (the van is a Nissan) as the fault would lie with one of their components.
      • 42 replies
  • Create New...