BankFodder BankFodder

Kholoshian

Halifax PPI Time Limits for complaint

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 622 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi All,

We recently submitted a claim to the Halifax for PPI on a loan which was sold to us on the basis that the PPI was a necessary stipulation of the application.

After 8 weeks of complete silence from the Halifax we today received a letter. The upshot is that they are refuting our PPI claim on the basis that they sent a letter to us 4 years ago stating that they had reviewed their PPI sales process and found that our PPI policy 'may' have been mis-sold. They apparently outlined common failings and invited us to respond if any of these concerned us.

Now, apart from not even recalling such a letter or being able to find it in our records; is this sufficient reason to abdicate their responsibility to refund a mis-sold policy? If so, it seems to be a nice way of sidestepping the claim.

Now 4 years ago I don't think we were in any way as educated to the whole world of PPI as we are now and so at the time we might not even have thought of ourselves as in the bracket of the 'mis-sold'. However, with greater and greater information and publicity around the whole scandal - we re-educated ourselves and took a longer look at our finances and historical loan applications.

It now seems that was all for nought and that even if we were mis-sold, The Halifax can simply state they sent a letter 'way back when' and that's it - no redress.

Am i missing something or doesn't that seem particularly unfair and insidious.

Is there now anything we can do? or do we simply close this particular chapter and move on.

Interested to know everyone's thoughts.

Many thanks in advance

Kholo

ask them what lette to what aaddress

Hi DX,

Thanks for the reply. Not wishing to appear dumb - but why? Can you educate me what the reasoning is?

Thanks

Kholo

IF you did get the letter then they are correct

if it was sent to an old address you wee no longer living at etc then you could question its relevance

Thanks DX - read all that - thank you

We certainly don't recall that letter and i think we would. So i guess we just have to accept that they say they sent it.

It is possible it went astray - they have never sent stuff to our full address. They always miss off the village we live in. They only ever put the main postal town which is over 10 miles away.

Worth it do you think? How would it help?

they must produce it

It seems to me that this thinking is flawed;

The Halifax state that their letter was a review of loans and that mine may be subject to mis-selling; i should get in touch with them IF i had concerns.

Why would i have concerns if I had always been told by the Halifax that the PPI was a stipulation of the loan application. Over 4 years ago I certainly wouldn't. In fact it wouldn't have occurred to me that I'd been lied to.

So with that thinking; how can they rely on the statement that I must have be 'aware' from that point (receipt of their letter) onward. I wouldn't be aware if I thought i'd been told the truth.

It's only as my education in the area of PPI has grown that I have questioned the whole basis of the 'truth' I have been told by the Halifax. It is only in this last year or so that my full understanding of the scandal has coalesced into a full picture of knowledge.

Thoughts??

well if they can prove you received it

sadly they will refuse your claim.

I rather feel that if they challenge the PPI on different grounds then it would be a basis for bringing a new claim

Plevin

There's nothing to lose but I would begin by sending an sar on the 25th of May

plevin is not covered under CCL.

I rather feel that if they challenge the PPI on different grounds then it would be a basis for bringing a new claim

Plevin

There's nothing to lose but I would begin by sending an sar on the 25th of May

Sorry Bankfodder, i don't quite follow what you mean????

you need to read up

dx