10 years with Neighbours from Hell on Benefits...damage my property, council/police never helped

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2178 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I really dont think that you can sue the Council for not fencing off the land and the people who fly tip can be prosecuted by the Council, I dont think you can sue the council for allowing fly tipping as by its nature it is illegal to fly tip.

To be honest I think you are onto a looser with this, if a fence is put round the land it probably wont stop people crossing it if they want to break in to your house, theives will get in anywhere if they want to.

It may be that you live in a high crime area and its going to happen anyway.

Either fence it yourself (and see who tries to stop you or says you cant ) or write to your local councillor asking them to look into it.

By its own nature the land itself it not dangerous, therefore there is no need for the Council to Fence it off for the safety of Children, it is actually up to the Parents of the Children to tell them not to go on the land if they think its dangerous.

It would appear that the land is owned by the Council and that it is for sale and it has outline planning permission but you cannot make them fence it if they dont want to, however it will be fenced off quickly enough when someone buys it and starts building on it.

Edited by assisted blonde

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It wont even pass the first hurdle in court. With the dampness example you listed, it is the person being written to who is responsible for the problem being faced.

You are wanting to write to someone who is not causing a problem to fix your problem.

You are going to be told to spend your own money on your own fence.

But seeing your councillor about the neighbour problem makes sense.

Just re reading your original posts, i think that you have more of a problem with your neighbour than the unfenced land and putting up a fence wont stop any anti social behaviour on their part, you have said that you are not living in the house at the moment, have you thought of selling it?

Looking at the area in general I would say its not one of the best areas in Breadford and prehaps you should have looked around at the neighbourhood before buying as it may have given you an idea of the type of area it is. I have also got to say that the land was there when you moved in and wasnt fenced and it would appear that none of the other neighbours have felt that it is enough of a problem to involve the Council, if their views have changed then a collective letter to your local Councillor may have some effect.

• 3 weeks later...

Just paid a visit to the house (staying at my mums for time being) - the neighbours have made a 6t wide gap in the hedge in the rear garden and are now entering my garden inc the children, this is tresspassing.

They have also placed a swing in their garden facing towards the gap, so when they swing they feet go through the gap in the hedge.

Now, I have 2 options the police have told me

1. fence the gap up with wooden fencing (but they could use the swing in their garden and knock/break down the fence)

2. use steel palisade fencing to fill the gap

what do you suggest

if i was to go with the wooden fencing option and the neighbours caused damage, what legal action can i take, as the police wont do anything - i was thinking of getting the landlord details, seeing a solictor and taking private court action against them?

The neighbour has a tree in their garden and several of the branches are over hanging into my garden, which the children are using to climb onto and then climb onto my fence, am i legally o.k to cut down the branches of the tree that over hang into my garden?

I need the BEST anti vandal paint that can be used on a garden fence and which will not dry up in the sun or come off in the rain, can anyone please provide a link to where i can buy this from?

can it be bought in clear instead of coloured, so the neigbours wont realise?

You can cut down the branches but you have to return them to the neighbour i believe

tresspass is a civil matter

is the Hedge yours or the neighbours?

If it is the neighbours then thay can make a hole in it, if you wish to block the hole then you should make sure that the fencing is on yopur side of the property

If you see a solicitor then I hope you have plenty of money as neighbour disputes can be very costly.

Why dont you just put the house on the market as you are not living there and the problem neighbours are unlikely to go away any time soon.

Hi

Well I think you need to speak to the local police Crime Prevention officer or ask if they would visit to give you advice from the police prospective and you can as if they can be out of uniform when they visit.

Next if the property next door is rented i think you need to try and find out who the landlord/ letting agents is and start sending complaint to then but CC the letters to the local councils Private Landlords Dept. ( this way you are covering you bases by letting both landlord/letting agent and the councils privte landlords dept know what is going on and builds up your cases of evidence)

Now if the wooden fencing is being destroyed i would think if may be impracticale to replace this with they same type fencing as it will probably happen again so i would suggest trying to look for alternative more secure fencing.

Have you thought of the following:

Installing a Burglar Alarm?

Putting a sensor light in back garden?

CCTV - I know you are looking into this

Anti climb paint - Now i would check with the police/local council as there may be certain legal restrictions to its use although you own your property but i would still check.

this link may be of help its the Crime Prevention Website: thecrimepreventionwebsite.com/

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi Layla. I'm not sure that any CCTV camera for under £200 would provide images good enough to be used in court to be honest.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Hi Layla,

Anti vandal paint products can be used on wood fencing but it's normally used at heights of over 2 metres and with clear warning signs that it's there.

If you put it on a fence top where people might readily touch, you could be responsible for damage to clothing.

If your problem is with neighbours climbing over into your garden, you could consider erecting some strong trellis panels which may deter unwanted entry.

AV Paint products are readily available if you search on-line but I'm not sure if this is the best option for you.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 1 year later...

The Neighbours from Hell (NFH) are tresspasing into my rear garden through the gaps in the fencing here (the fencing was destroyed by a tree which they cut down in their garden and which in turn fell and destroyed my fencing)

NFH kids and their friends are coming into my rear garden through the gaps here (where my fence used to be)

408486763.jpg

408486761.jpg

408486762.jpg

408486766.jpg

They have also placed a dog shed on purpose leaning against my fence which broken by the pressure, see below

408486920.jpg

My rear garden is private property so if the children and their friends are tresspassing into my rear garden what action can i take to stop this happening?

Their mother is a real chav NFH - she won't stop her children tresspassing. Her children have also been damaging my fence posts with hammers in an attempt to make them collapse.

Today NFH have been attempting to cut down these trees in the garden and then try to push them over into my garden like last time

Their mother is fully aware her children are tresspassing, are cutting down trees (see my previous post of what damage they caused)

What can I do to stop the tresspassing - the NFH rent their home. It was auctioned a few months ago and a new landlord bought the land. One of the conditions in their tenancy agreement is they must not trouble neighbours or anyone in the area or they could be evicted.

Their landlord is fully aware of what his tenants are doing but does not care - he only cares about the rent he is getting from them.

Now what can I do to

1. Stop the tresspassing

2. Stop them throwing litter into my garden

Which CCTV system is good enough to cover the entire length of the garden

So I can have concrete evidence of their tresspassing, causing damge to my property and throwing litter.

They have also been stacking up metal and other rubbish against another section of fence which has now broken by the weight/pressure of the the items they have placed from their side against my fence, see below

408486767.jpg

408486766.jpg

They have been attempting to cut the trees in their garden and make them collapse into my garden

Edited by Purpleflowers 2
spelling

have you spoken to the anti-social behaviour department of your local council?

check as well weither any of the trees are under a preservation order? if you can get proof its them damaging them they are in trouble

check with enviromental health on the rubbish claim its attracting vermin and they may look at it

(if not point out to the neighbour that its all scrap metal and is from what i can see about £40-£50 quids worth at any decent scrap yard - you will probably soon see it vanish for cash)

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

I did speak to the council re: the throwing of rubbish over the fence and into my garden, they don't seem to care and have not warned the tenants next off for what they are doing inc their children damaging and tresspassing into my rear garden.

I will check re: tree preservation order?

No chance in getting to speak to the NFH they don't want to know or their landlord

have you spoken to the anti-social behaviour department of your local council?

check as well weither any of the trees are under a preservation order? if you can get proof its them damaging them they are in trouble

check with enviromental health on the rubbish claim its attracting vermin and they may look at it

(if not point out to the neighbour that its all scrap metal and is from what i can see about £40-£50 quids worth at any decent scrap yard - you will probably soon see it vanish for cash)

What about making a report to the Police ? Harassment, anti-social behaviour. Perhaps if the Police visited the neighbours to warn them not to enter your garden, then this would nip this in the bud, before it escalates.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I made a report to the police re: the tresspassing/throwing rubbish and swearing to my tenants. The police simply gave my tenants a "diary" to keep.

What makes matters even worse is the PCSO who came down was too scared to go next door and talk to the NFH. Because they are well known to the police and the PCSO said something along the lines of "I don't want to go next door because doing that will only make things much worse (for my tenants)"

So he just gave the diary and left.

I mean the police should have warned the NFH next door!

Re: the broken fencing which the broken tree from the NFH garden next door has caused. The insurance does not cover fencing and I'm certainly not going to pay to repair my fencing which the tree next door has damaged it lies with the landlord next door...the NFH refuse to provide the details of the landlord i've asked them many times

I have a number of cameras around my property. They hook up to my wireless router and sends images to a gmail account I set up and have on my phone so when the cameras motion detection is tripped my phone gets an email with 5 photos. I can also view it via my iphone and ipad (or any PC) if I want. The images stay on the gmail account should I ever need them, I just empty it every few months so it does not fill up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fo[problem]-FI8904W-External-Wireless-Viewing/dp/B00426FEL8

They do other camera but this one, in my experience (and I had the other brands) is the best in this price range.

They only need power lead. If it's not long enough you can cut the power lead in half and fit some cable in the middle to extend it, this is what I did on 1 camera. It's pretty basic stuff.

You need to make a report to the police of criminal damage and if they ask what the damage is tell them that the fence and all of your plants come to a value of about £500 and then they will show more of an interest. You have taliked down the problem so no-one is bothered. Also write to the landlord (if privately owned) and tell him/her that you well be suing for the damage unless they do something to make amends within a set peroid of time-14 days is normal. Then sue in the county court for the costs you have incurred/value of the destroyed property and for harassment. There is a scale of damages normally used in such cases. The LL wont want to have to explain to the insurers why it has got to this unless they have deep pockets.

Also find out if the area is part of a tree conservation area and if it is report to the environmental dept about the cutting of trees without permission. Eventually you will have enough pomplaints going at the same time you will be able to be rasonable in asking council chiel Exec to investigate and report them to the Local Governmant Ombudsman if they fail in their duty.

Totally agree with ericsbrother.

Don't be fobbed by the police. It's their duty to act in cases like this.

You need to send a formal letter headed LETTER BEFORE CLAIM listing all the problems they have caused and the remedy you seek: costs of repair, etc., and give them 14 days to respond telling them that if you fail to hear from them you will immediately issue proceedings in the County Court.

They sound completely vile.

DD

just a warning on that foscam camera

make sure you upgrade the firmware there are several known exploits on those

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

The police visited my tenants but gave them a "diary" to keep and told them "...Going next door to the NFH will only make things much worse for you, its best we don't go there for your sake. The tenants are well known to the police....blah blah blah"

The problem here is the PSCO are afraid to go next door to the NFH who are a real nasty bunch. They are very well known to the police but the police are afraid of even going to their house!

What about making a report to the Police ? Harassment, anti-social behaviour. Perhaps if the Police visited the neighbours to warn them not to enter your garden, then this would nip this in the bud, before it escalates.

I have tenants at the house so using this camera on an wireless internet connection would be difficult. Is there any alternative?

I have a number of cameras around my property. They hook up to my wireless router and sends images to a gmail account I set up and have on my phone so when the cameras motion detection is tripped my phone gets an email with 5 photos. I can also view it via my iphone and ipad (or any PC) if I want. The images stay on the gmail account should I ever need them, I just empty it every few months so it does not fill up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fo[problem]-FI8904W-External-Wireless-Viewing/dp/B00426FEL8

They do other camera but this one, in my experience (and I had the other brands) is the best in this price range.

They only need power lead. If it's not long enough you can cut the power lead in half and fit some cable in the middle to extend it, this is what I did on 1 camera. It's pretty basic stuff.

I spoke to the police who told me they can't help because the trees (which fell and are being cut on purpose) are on private land owned by the landlord and its a matter between me and the landlord and that I have to get the costs for the repair and bill the landlord - if he fails to help then sue him in court.

The harrassment has been going on for years as well as the tressapassing..the council and police have not once showed any care in getting these NFH evicted.

They are refusing to remove the metal stacked against my fence

408486767.jpg

They are refusing to remove the dog shed they have put on purpose against my fence as well

408486920.jpg

They are "untouchables" as far as the police are concerned! They have made life a misery for everyone in the area for many years.

The NFH refuse to provide the landlords details.

These are some of my fences which have been damaged by the falling tree and also by the NFH leaning metal and the dog shed onto my fence.

408486766.jpg

I feel like crying...can you guys help me get victory over these NFH please!

My priority is to get the fencing fixed up to stop the tresspassing first of all (can't wait 14 days for the landlord next door to respond and daily tresspassing)

Shall I...

1. Get invoices for the cost of the fencing and pay for it to be fenced off

2. Send the invoices to the landlord - 14 days to pay or he goes to court.

3. I don't have legal cover but i'm not working so will it be free to sue the landlord through small claims court?

They are more than vile Desperate Daniella - the police are afraid to take action against them!

Can someone help me come up with a draft LETTER BEFORE CLAIM - I've never had to do one before and are proceedings issued through the small claims court? I have no idea how this works?

You need to make a report to the police of criminal damage and if they ask what the damage is tell them that the fence and all of your plants come to a value of about £500 and then they will show more of an interest. You have taliked down the problem so no-one is bothered. Also write to the landlord (if privately owned) and tell him/her that you well be suing for the damage unless they do something to make amends within a set peroid of time-14 days is normal. Then sue in the county court for the costs you have incurred/value of the destroyed property and for harassment. There is a scale of damages normally used in such cases. The LL wont want to have to explain to the insurers why it has got to this unless they have deep pockets.

Also find out if the area is part of a tree conservation area and if it is report to the environmental dept about the cutting of trees without permission. Eventually you will have enough pomplaints going at the same time you will be able to be rasonable in asking council chiel Exec to investigate and report them to the Local Governmant Ombudsman if they fail in their duty.

my neighbour is getting deliveries of stolen metal from the area i live in and is stacking the stolen metal in his garden on a daily basis. Several times a week a van comes which takes this metal taken away to be sold on.

there is a large field behind my neighbours house so most of the stolen metal is delivered across the field under the cover of the field and trees straight into the neighbours back garden and stacked up and sold on.

the neighbours are responsible for many break ins in the area...they have 2 or 3 familes in the same street who are all in it together.

They broke into the house next door and stole all the copper piping in the house - stripped the house bare. The poor elderly lady whose house it was was on holiday at the and came back devasted. It effected her health so bad, she was scared in her own home and is now in a nursing home knowing her neighbours broke into the home.

The home is for sale and the neighbours have broken into the home around the back and gone in through the patio door and stripped the home bare of all metal again.

what can be done to stop this activity from happening...the neighbours are renting the house from a private landlord and the landlord is aware of what is happening but allows it to happen.

what steps can i take?