physicsgraduate

Rec'd summary warrant from Sherrif's Office over Council Tax non-payment

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 998 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

The problem with council tax is that if they don't get any money from you they eventually arrest your wages/bank account and get their money that way, it happened to me twice. I genuinely couldn't afford to pay it (I was off work sick and not even paying my rent the first time), unfortunately once it gets to that stage they seem to stop caring about anything other than how much money they are legally entitled to take off you. However what I have found is that if (before it gets to that stage) you offer them a payment plan and stick to it, you are unlikely to ever hear from them again. I am still paying a fiver a week for a bill from three or four years ago and the only contact I have had with them is when I contacted them to change my address.

Is there any way to get some of these charges dropped? I seem to be paying about twice the rate I should for the two previous years, they wouldn't back date my low earnings allowance to 1st april last year. I'm basically being robbed by a bunch of crooks who are not only robbing me, but also of my basic rights and causing me a lot of problems. There's two of them just been sent to prison, two councilors and two businessmen who were being given contracts in exchange for favours, basically pouring council tax money down the drain on work that didn't need doing. And I passed a square in town today that's been done up, don't really know what was wrong with it before but apparently in these times of austerity it's necessary. ****. I mighty write to Iceland or Norway and ask for citizenship/political asylum and just leave this dump of an island that's just rotten to the core with corruption these days.

I mighty write to Iceland or Norway and ask for citizenship/political asylum and just leave this dump of an island that's just rotten to the core with corruption these days.

"Political asylum"?

You aren't being "persecuted for your political views".

You just don't like paying tax, and you aren't allowed to "opt out" just because you don't like it.....

You could always ask them for citizenship, based on the astounding qualities you have to offer. It worked for Bobbi Fischer with Iceland. How good is your chess?

You want to "leave this dump of an island"?. CAG is a help site, and I'll gladly help this "dump of an island" and you by helping you write your letter, if it'll increase your chances of success for Iceland!

For Norway : nothing to stop you moving there today if you want! : off you toddle (using the fact you are an EU national). Citizenship? You'd need to be lawfully resident a number of years, renounce your UK citizenship, oh, and how good is your Norweigan?

https://www.gov.uk/living-in-norway

Mind you, you'll have to "establish" yourself (getting a job or setting up a viable business) within 6 months OR show them you can support yourself : if they would boot you out if you didn't would that also be "persecuting" you for your political views?

I don't like your tone. This is not something I wish to discuss but I am being persecuted for my political beliefs and life style, so much that it has practically ruined my life. End of discussion there, if you disagree or think I am making it up or talking rubbish then just keep it to yourself. I was just saying, I've had enough of this place and the tories. If I do leave the UK eventually, it will also to get away from the people as well the government.

If I do leave the UK eventually, it will also to get away from the people as well the government.

See previous: if things are that bad here you could go to Norway anytime soon, not "eventually".

Unless (of course) it wouldn't quite be the utopia you imagine, and you'd only have 6 months to establish yourself. Would your "life style choices" fit well with this?

Some people will talk of how bad it is here, and how they plan to emigrate.

Usually these are people who are only too happy to avail themselves of benefits / local , regional and national services paid for by others, but come out with eg the FMOTL rubbish when their turn to contribute their share comes around.

The proof comes in how many actually do.

How are the figures in nett migration looking?

Do you think I have never done a day's work in my life and I just live on benefits all the time? Are you aware that I have had some health problems recently. DID I MENTION THAT? I didn't come here to be judged, if you don't want to help or offer advice then please keep your opinions to yourself, you know NOTHING about me.:mad2:

Do you think I have never done a day's work in my life and I just live on benefits all the time?

Not at all, as if you were on benefits you wouldn't be liable to pay council tax or income tax .....

Edited: it has been pointed out to me (see below) that this isn't correct : it should be "full council tax, or income tax"

Are you aware that I have had some health problems recently. DID I MENTION THAT? I didn't come here to be judged, if you don't want to help or offer advice then please keep your opinions to yourself, you know NOTHING about me.:mad2:

I've seen a fair bit about you : in your threads since October 2013 about your council tax, and the one I replied in previously (tax / self-assessment)

CAG'ers have offered you lots of help and advice.

If you haven't followed it it doesn't mean the system is persecuting you.

By all means complain the system is unfair and you may get some sympathy and be pointed to the previous advice.

You can say "it's so unfair, I'm not going to pay" and "it's so unfair, I'm leaving the UK" but expect to get called out on it.

Did I also mention that I have in the past volunteered to work for free as well, and that I take care of the pavement and road outside my house when it needs doing, for free? ie. I don't send the council a bill for it. Or the time I picked up rubbish that had been thrown onto some land by the roadside and put it all in bin bags, for free? I swear... DONOT judge me. What do you for a living? Sit in front of a computer all day, in an office I bet, thinking you are doing something that contributes to the betterment of society. Have YOU ever really got your hands dirty for a living? Or do you just like to sit there and judge people on the internet who are having problems, people who might actually want and like to do a hard days work but find it hard to get out of bed most days because they haven't had a solid 8 hours uninterrupted sleep for years, and maybe are suffering health problems from exposure to something unknown through work in the past?

Not at all, as if you were on benefits you wouldn't be liable to pay council tax or income tax .....

I see, are you just trolling me here? You still have to pay council tax if you are on benefits.

I've seen a fair bit about you : in your threads since October 2013 about your council tax, and the one I replied in previously (tax / self-assessment)

CAG'ers have offered you lots of help and advice.

If you haven't followed it it doesn't mean the system is persecuting you.

By all means complain the system is unfair and you may get some sympathy and be pointed to the previous advice.

You can say "it's so unfair I'm not going to pay" and "it's so unfair I'm leaving the UK" but expect to get called out on it.

Why should I get called out on that? Do you just like having a dig at people, do you get a kick out of it or something. Does it make you feel superior?

p.s. thanks to everyone else who has helped me over the years, I truly appreciate it.

By all means rant again, but I reiterate:

You've had advice.

Unfortunate as it is that it isn't the magic bullet you seem to want, to excuse you of your obligations, but it is there, and you can still avail yourself of it.

If you don't want to use it and you want to "howl at the moon" instead, up to you! - but it won't be my, CAG, the government or society's fault.

I see, are you just trolling me here? You still have to pay council tax if you are on benefits.

True .... But the CT is reduced, and the benefits take it into account.

I should have said "pay full council tax", so you are correct.

It very much is the governments fault, and I don't wish to get into a discussion about that here, least not with you.

I only came here because I thought I might have to fill in some expenses form or something, you take my comments a little to literally. I just want to deal with this as best I can. I started a new thread because I wanted to keep it simple, just a quick bit of advice on what to do, but instead I get replies like- 'better pay it pronto'. Which is really only reiterating what the letter said and not really much use to me. When I then replied, 'not going to happen' I simply meant that paying all of it off in one go is not going to happen.

I don't know why you wish to be so insulting towards me, when you know very little about me. Maybe you could get a job working for IDS

True .... But the CT is reduced, and the benefits take it into account.

I should have said "pay full council tax", so you are correct.

Pfffff. If you say so. Back track makes no sense to me.

Don't offer me any more advice please.

This thread is going way off topic now. people have tried their best to give you advice, and I am sure will continue to do so but you need to stop being so dismissive of it and argumentative. There is no way out of paying council tax (unless you get benefits), that is all people have tried to explain, people here can help you work out the best way to handle the situation if you let them. I think you have done the right thing offering them a payment plan, in my experience its all you can do really. I agree that the extra charges are unfair, I thought the same when I had to pay them, but certainly I couldn't find a way out of them, others may have advice on perhaps getting them reduced but it didn't work for me.

I'm not the one who is being insulting. I came here for advice because I'm having some problems and this place is usually very friendly and helpful, but I didn't come here to have my nose rubbed in it.

I just received another threatening letter from them.

Because I defaulted on another year of council and I was a few days late again

They want me to up the payment.

I have just draftet a letter to them telling them that I am now ceasing payment

and if they want to take me to court then I will take them to to court.

I never agreed to pay this in the first place.

I said I'll take them to court and the NHS and the government

I'm drawing this line here.

in light of everything else, I'm still getting over that.

I'm taking a stand against council tax. I don't owe them NOTHING

I know where money ends and muscle stops.

I willing to use both my brains and my meat to fight for my rights.

I'm just finishing 9+9 cryptic crosswords with a view to selling them somewhere else.

I wasn't aiming to be this far with them all now, but iCut magazine dropped me and refused to stick to the 3 month rolling deal we had!

Cryptic crosswords are an art form, and getting it right is a process that involves 1 2 3 4 5.

1 is making the grid.

2 is composing initial drafts to the clues.

3 is going over it rewriting clues where necessary.

4 is going over them again and rewritting clues if necessary.

5 is checking over everything to make sure there are no mistakes,

and maybe rewwriting clues if need be or I tihnk of a better way to compose the clue.

Huge waste of my time.

Time spent getting everything right.

Just about there. Only for them to make a mistake and then blame me for it!

As per NUJ rates I'm sitting on nearly £3k worth of.

I'll punt them out and settle for 500.

If I don't get anything then I'm going to sue the iC network who say they are grassroots.

I'll fling show them what grassroots means! #Brexit

Advice per my telling of Scott and co where to go appreciated.

I can print my own letters now. I factored this into my business.

Here we go again. Last thing I need right now while in the middle of a house move.

Was hoping to shake them off but they just turned up at my door with a CHARGE FOR PAYMENT OF MONEY, something about a Summary Warrant for the recovery of Council Tax under the local Government Finance Act 1992 granted against me by the Sheriff Court.

I was hoping to just move out in three weeks and shake this off, because it's just spiralling out of control and I just don't have the money.

I've spent the last few months drinking and getting depressed about being sent out to do a load of work and not being paid.

So I have 14 days or I risk arrestment, arrestment of earnings etc.

I'm guessing I'm a long way off that yet though right?

They haven't even mentioned the previous years I still owe them for, just this year? And I'm moving out anyway so I don't owe them the full year anyway.

Shall I explain this to them, offer them a tenner and do a runner? That was sort of my plan anyway, send it on to a debt collector down south who will likely be unable to trace me.

Young guy in a suit was there, and I could tell he was totally loving it. His grin was rather inviting of the back of my fist, if I'm honest. I'd like to be able to wipe the image of his stupid little face out of my memory. I don't need any more people to hate.

Most of my mates seem to get away with just ignoring this, but I answered my door and probably didn't do myself anyway favours today.

At what stage of panic should I be, and can I just forget this and disappear into the sunset and hope it goes away?

I'm trying to stop drinking. Now I want to start drinking again.

Hi

Is this Scott & Co again ?

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

The one and only.

The names of the guy who issued it and the witness are illegible, as is the date, not that that matters because it's the last day of August.

Most of my mates just ignore them, and just just sell the debt on to collectors and never hear about it again. It seems like the ones they maybe go after are the ones who respond. They wrote to me a few months ago asking me to up the payment. I meant to keep the payments up, but I kept putting it off and then I just went to heck with it...

When did you stop paying them for your last arrangement.

If you hadnt answered the door they would have just written "hand delivered" on it and posted it through.

Unfortunately you might not be as far away from wages/account arrestment as you think. They were very quick with mine. I got the summary warrant and the next thing i heard was my boss telling me they had arrested my wages.

I would call and offer something, i have been paying a fiver a week for years on an older council tax account and as long as i have kept up payments i have never heard another thing about it save my annual statement

If you hadnt answered the door they would have just written "hand delivered" on it and posted it through.

Unfortunately you might not be as far away from wages/account arrestment as you think. They were very quick with mine. I got the summary warrant and the next thing i heard was my boss telling me they had arrested my wages.

I would call and offer something, i have been paying a fiver a week for years on an older council tax account and as long as i have kept up payments i have never heard another thing about it save my annual statement

Just offer them a tenner and run to the hills then?

Just offer them a tenner and run to the hills then?

Think your the only one that can answer that, I'm not sure how your mate's are getting away with ignoring their Council Tax debt.

Can you or are you willing or able to pay anything towards the debt, I like you, kept hoping they would 'go away' but they never did.

Are you employed.