Rec'd summary warrant from Sherrif's Office over Council Tax non-payment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2730 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

From the local sheriff, hand delivered this morning. Slapped an extra £170 surchage on the outstanding amount which I have to pay in 14 days or else I could be arrested bla bla bla

So, how serious is this. I missed a few payments, I'm really broke right now and I've been a depressed lately, owing to my situation involving a number of organisations demanding money from me, and other things.

What do I do then, I heard I can get away with paying them £2 per week. Is there a form I fill in and send to them detailing my income and outcome?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that. I'll move you to the Debt in Sctland Forum and ask some others to look in - law is different north of the Border. I'll leave a redirect here so you can see where it has gone.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

oppss...

you really should have dropped everything bar rent/mortgage/utils down to

CTax is a very important bill.

now what can you do.....

when is this for what year?

are you not entitled to any benefits?

most Scottish councils have an income maximisation team to help with benefits

did you have any previous letters and did you advise them of payment issues?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It's complicated.

No I didn't inform them of anything, I just couldn't pay, and I was depressed and I'm still depressed and have health problems because I can't sleep, no-one is listening to me.

I've been pretty much hiding from the world over the past two months since the tories got back in.

I don't care that much if this goes to court. I owe them nothing. They if any thing owe me compensation, going back many years.

why do you think you owe them nothing ?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Because I don't owe them anything. Insert common law legalese that I don't understand. I owe them for water, all the rest- happy to deal with my owe waste etc if need be. I'm happy for them to turn the street lights off in my street, in fact they can turn them all off in the whole town and I wont care, in fact I'd prefer it.

forget the freeman of the land rubbish

your liberty is potentially at stake here.

so prior to this 'debt' how was the CTAX met in previous years

what has led up to this 'stand off'

help us to help you.

if this is dealt with in the right manner

all may not be as bad as it seems.

dx

and they

I see we have previous threads here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?406964-Rec-d-summary-warrant-from-Sherrif-s-Office-over-Council-Tax-non-payment

is this related to todays issue?

dx

and they

you need to get paying it pronto.

dx

and they

Not going to happen and what happened to this place.

What do you mean "what happened to this place"?

"What happened to CAG"?

It has given you advice (on this thread & its predecessor)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?406964-Rec-d-summary-warrant-from-Sherrif-s-Office-over-Council-Tax-non-payment

Since Oct 2013.

Is your complaint that CAG hasn't given you a magic "don't pay Council Tax / 'get out of jail free' card"?

"What has happened to the UK"?, insisting people pay their council tax?

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you can claim you don't have to pay / claim the FMOTL twaddle.

You've had plenty of advice on reaching agreements to pay in this thread & its predecessor: including focusing on paying your priority debts (one of which is council tax).

It is only advice, so you don't have to take it : but I'm not sure you have a valid grumble if you haven't taken the advice and you get hauled into court .....

I have to accept it'd be great if we ALL didn't have to pay (taxes / contributions) into the system, but just take out benefits, so there was no need to:

a) repay DWP for crisis loans,

b) fill out self-assessment returns when required by HMRC, and

c) pay Council Tax, and so on .....

but unfortunately : we do have to.

In my view the FMOTL people want all the rights & benefits of society without wanting to pay their share.

The war on drugs. My rights. My life going down the tubes. Bla bla bla etc.

So as far as I'm concerned they can stick their taxes and their system where the sun don't shine. This point isn't up for discussion

I don't want to get in to that though, I was just wondered what I need to do to deal with this, but from the responses so far it seems I have very little options available to me, so I guess ultimately then unless I can magic a couple of G out of thin air then I'm looking at doing time.

Either way, whatever happens I'm going to end up with a sore ass.

Many thanks for the help, much appreciated.

8 weeks for 3.5k unpaid? Doesn't sound too bad. So if I don't pay them tax they'll use tax payers money to put me in prison. That makes a lot of sense that does.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2887017/Grandmother-jailed-unpaid-council-tax-freed-time-Christmas-online-appeal-raised-pay-debts.html

Anyway, despite my views I was looking to deal with this by maybe offering them some money again, but it sounds like that wont be enough so yeah whatever, I wont have to move very far I suppose.

So as far as I'm concerned they can stick their taxes and their system where the sun don't shine. This point isn't up for discussion

You are clearly a person with firmly held beliefs & principles.

Are you going to state "where they can stick their taxes", and "the point not being up for discussion" in court, too?

(I take it you don't reserve this view just for websites / posting anonymously, and you'd state it in court?)

Prison for non-payment is usually reserved for "won't pay" rather than "can't pay", but your attitude to taxation may influence which a court feel is going on here.

Sorry, I was unaware that complying with their demands meant that I also had to agree with them.

I've given you the information you requested to help you to help me, but if you just want to have a dig at me then I'll just pay them what I can and take what's coming to me.

Sorry, I was unaware that complying with their demands meant that I also had to agree with them.

I've given you the information you requested to help you to help me, but if you just want to have a dig at me then I'll just pay them what I can and take what's coming to me.

I wasn't aware that you were complying with their (lawful) demands....... and I agree that whether you agree with them or not is immaterial, but not complying and saying "it isn't up for discussion" looks like "won't pay".

Comply & you won't go to prison.

Don't comply & explain to the court why it is "can't pay" & you still (likely!) won't go to prison.

Looks like you had an arrangement to pay and breached it, while "So as far as I'm concerned they can stick their taxes and their system where the sun don't shine" suggests you aren't complying and don't intend to .....

Once you fail to keep to the payment arrangement with the Sheriff Officers they get another Charge for Payment adding about £90 to your arrears.

Whats the score with your situation, are you in employment and do you own your own property.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Self employed, claiming working tax credits. I thought I was going to be earning money by now but everything fell through.

I've also had nothing but problems sleeping where I live which has impacted my health, and no one will listen, job centre, doctors, housing agencies, and of course atos. I'm stuck in private sector leasing and my rent is so high no matter what I earn I'm no better off.

Went in, told them I'd been a bit depressed and offered them a tenner a month and they seemed to accept it so that's them off my back for the time being. Don't think I'm going to prison just yet.

Some of my mates have much more outstanding owed and they just ignore all the letters and seem to get away with it somehow.