• Tweets

• I think I have to add some clarification to the advice which has been given by my site team colleague above. Firstly, the Consumer Rights Act does not replace the existing law of contract. It simply supplements it and adds some additional solutions such as the short-term right to reject – and the right to reject within six months after giving a single opportunity to repair. These remedies are meant to be solutions but in fact we are finding – especially with car dealers – that the law is simply being ignored and frankly from that point of view the Consumer Rights Act is not a great success. They really ought to be in place a punitive measure for retailers who don't respect the 30 day rule and the six-month rule. But there aren't. So what is left is that even after six months, the item which has been sold to you must be of satisfactory quality and must remain that way for a reasonable period of time. What is a reasonable period of time depends on the reasonable expectations of a reasonable consumer. If the item starts to develop problems early on in its life then I think it can be generally taken beyond doubt that the item has failed the test of "satisfactory quality" because it has not remain that way for a reasonable period of time. Where an item starts to fail towards the end of its reasonable life expectancy, then you have a more difficult problem and that is where is my site team colleague has suggested, that you would ideally have to find some expert evidence to show that the item had failed because there was an existing defect. You could do this by getting an independent inspection or else by finding other examples over the Internet to show that this was a known problem. My site team colleague is right that you would have to demonstrate a defect even if the item fails at an early stage in its life – but I think that if you are taking a cooker with a reasonable life expectancy of probably, say, eight years – then I think the fact that it has developed a serious defect in the first 12 months would be taken by any County Court judge is clear evidence that it had failed to live up to the requirements of the Consumer Rights Act – that it was not satisfactory quality. If the judge accepted that failure as evidence, then it would be up to the retailer to counter the presumption with evidence that there was nothing wrong with it. So what I'm saying is that in the first instance, I think that the defect speaks for itself and the question now is how to proceed. I'm sure that we can help you and I'm sure that we can help you get a result. I have to say now that you've been here since 2015 and I'm extremely disappointed to find that you seem to be unaware of the fact that you enjoy ample statutory rights to deal with this and that you seem to be lamenting the fact that you didn't take out an extended warranty and that furthermore you seem to be prepared to rely on a so-called 12 month guarantee provided by the manufacturer. You are asking how these companies can get away ripping off "innocent people" and I suppose that you are referring to "innocence" in the sense that people don't deserve it. Frankly I tend to see "innocence" in the sense of a certain naïveté – especially when people know about this forum. I don't particularly understand why you have put up with this for a pretty well five months instead of coming here. If you want to take that as a slapped wrist – then please do. Also it's a message to other people who visit this thread. Can you please tell us about the price you paid and any exchange you had with Currys. I understand that they have simply knocked you back to the manufacturer? Are you surprised? You dealing with Currys. Another example of innocence. Blesséd are the meek. I don't fully understand the fault. Maybe you could put up a picture of the fault – in PDF format please. It will help us get a better idea what we are doing. Also, have you had anybody coming to have a look and see if it is actually repairable?  
    • In regard to the Labour Party, they need to recognise that the Tories have a larger base of support for their flavour of politics.  Brexit has stirred up a nationalistic spirit in many people on the political left and right, with former Labour voters now invested in supporting the Tories in trying to make Brexit a success.   This makes it very difficult for Starmer or any other replacement Labour leader to challenge the Tories, as those on the Brexit bus ride, now have their fingers firmly placed in their ears. This is why the recent sleaze allegations made no difference.    I predict that Labour and the Lib Democrats, plus the Green Party are going to have to form an alliance in the near future, so they offer an alternative to the Tories during the next 5+ years.        
    • Scotland should have a right to hold a referendum on independence, if parties supporting independence have a majority in the Scottish Parliament to hold a referendum.   Not sure Scottish people would vote for independence, but they should be allowed a vote.
    • Hi.   Please post your proposed letter up here so we can help you to tweak it, if needed. Make sure you don't use 'I', say things like 'the driver' so you don't identify who was driving.   HB
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Ebay Packlink and Hermes - destroyed item as it was "damaged". https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/430396-ebay-packlink-and-hermes-destroyed-item-as-it-was-damaged/&do=findComment&comment=5087347
      • 32 replies
    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
  • Recommended Topics

• Recommended Topics

Swamped into debt with Halifax. Combo of Loan & OD

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1035 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

Was hoping for a bit of advice on what to do it this situation, it’s my husband’s Halifax account,

He has a loan with them for approx £6k and a £1.2k overdraft which as we all know is subject to the recent adjustment in charges.

My husband is self employed and had a run of a bad few weeks due to injury, this was the start of the problems. He cannot keep up with the charges anymore and the loan payment combined,

He has opened a new bank account to be paid into and now we need to tackle the combined Halifax debt.

I’m going to help him draft a letter. I don’t know if it would be best to just write to them regarding the full amount owing (loan and OD) explain he is in financial difficulty and make an offer to pay something per month - The offer won’t be as much as the monthly loan instalment & OD charged that they would have normally taken.

What sort of action would they take ? (I know they won’t be happy with this offer) and would they freeze interest or the daily OD rate from accruing?

Really don’t know how to tackle this,

Any advice much appreciated.

Please will you give us more details about the loans and also the charges

What kinds of loans were there and when where they taken out?

Is his injury short-term? His loan may have the option of taking a one month repayment holiday.

It maybe possible to refinance the loan (possibly incorporating the overdraft too) to one with a lower monthly payment.

I'm not sure if opening a separate account is the best idea as the higher the overdraft amount the higher the daily charge will be. Although no further overdraft charges apply once you reach the limit.

If you do go down the "financial difficulty" route they will consider his situation. They may agree to a payment plan with a reduced monthly repayment, suspension of interest & charges etc. Though this would be on a case-by-case basis and would need to be supported with a review of his income and expenditure. This arrangement is likely to be reflected on his credit report too.

Opening a 'Parachute' account IS a very good idea!

Banks like to take everything that goes into the account regardless of your financial situation, so YES open a separate account with a different banking group, YOU are then in control.

Definitely write to the bank and outline your financial situation and state that you are having difficulties due to injury and being self employed.

I hope there ian't any PPI on this loan??

Is it a secured loan?

As for the OD, using the harship rules, you will be able to reclaim any fees/charges reducing the amount owed, AND they 'should' stop interest and fees allowingyou to reduce the balance,

if they don't then you only pay £1 a month for the life of the debt.

Please answer BF's questions in post 2 ..

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks for all the replies.

His injury was for 3 weeks in October with an ankle injury (better now) , then he has to have two weeks off over Xmas because the building site he works on was closed so that was five weeks money we were down. At the time I was on JSA so we were really struggling. (I am working again now)

He did have repayment holidays which he used when he could, I think

thats why the debt hasn’t reduced much.

The loan is a clarity loan, no ppi. Taken out in 2016 I think. It was for around £7.5k but it’s only reduced to around £6k (maybe a bit under) due to him missing payments etc.

He hasn’t missed every instalment since then but every time he gets paid they take a chunk of money for charges and also the OD daily rate which started late last year. The OD daily rate is usually around £1.40 per day.

The loan is unsecured.

We thought about refinancing but his credit file is rubbish due to the late payments (there’s also a credit card which suffered but we are dealing with)

It’s this halifax account that’s caused the problems, it just doesn’t seem to get anywhere when we throw money at it so I thought the best idea would be to just stop using it and try and get it all dealt with separately while he gets paid to another account. .

I think I’ve answered everything. I’m on my phone so going to read through all your replies again when I’ve submitted this answer.

Excellent, that's a lot clearenow.

OK get in touch with Halifax, IN WRITING, and inform them that you are having 'some' financial difficulty, they 'should' help customers, but we all know they couldn't care less.

Definitely open another account and have everything paid into there, this will stop the bank from taking what they want when they want, and will often make them sit up and take notice of you when they realise their profit stream has dried up.

How much of this OD is the banks fees/charges?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

The agreed OD was set at £1.2k.

They take the daily fee which is around £1.42 (percentage of what the OD is)

Then they were taking chunks of money like £40 here and there which I think was charges for going over the agreed OD. To be honest it’s all become such a mess we don’t know what they’re taking for what, it was so hard to get back to level with them constantly dipping in. We never knew how much money he has available because they were just takings I we couldn’t budget.

Ok so I’ll write to them and explain that he is in financial difficulty. Are there any specific templates I should follow or shall I just put something together? I had a quick look in library but couldn’t find anything.

I really appreciate this help.

We normally are ok for Xmas time off because we know it’s coming and put money aside

but that ankle injury he had really put us back so payments to the loan were either missed or paid late

and then the daily OD charges started around then

and before we knew it, it had become a mess.

Really scary how it catches up with you.

...inform them that you are having 'some' financial difficulty, they 'should' help customers, but we all know they couldn't care less...

This doesn't make sense. If you think they couldn't care less why are even suggesting the OP writes to them? By your logic that would be a complete waste of the OP's time.

This doesn't make sense. If you think they couldn't care less why are even suggesting the OP writes to them? By your logic that would be a complete waste of the OP's time.

That's a constructive comment....TY.

Because the OP needs a paper trail of evidence, when they dig their heels in down the line, it can be proved that the OP asked for help, and the bank failed once again.

That's a constructive comment....TY.

*sigh* All you had to do was explain your reasoning. I only questioned your comment as it seemed contradictory and could be misunderstood by others.

I don't need to explain anything thank you.

I don't need to explain anything thank you.

And yet in post #11 you did explain, so not sure what the point of your comment is. I guess you're just being stubborn.

And you always bat for the banks jane

Go play elsewhere if you can't help

CAG is about helping not kicking people

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

And you always bat for the banks jane

Nope. For me it's not about consumers vs the banks so I'm not on anyone's side. I just offer help to posters using my knowledge

Go play elsewhere if you can't help

CAG is about helping not kicking people

Excuse me? Bazooka Boo was the one making sarcastic remarks.

I gave some suggestions to the OP. However I can't see any contributions from you...

Thanks you for the links Bazooka Boo. I’m getting the letter done right now

Excellent, when you send it please ensure you get ''proof of posting'' which is FREE from the PO counter, just for your records.

And if you like, post up what you send them so others can can advise.....

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late response folks.

I have an update.

I wrote to halifax and explained our situation of not being able to afford the £188 loan repayment a month along with them constantly taking daily fees and swallowing up our money (never knowing where we are)

The letter was posted mid May. (Signed for)

Early June they wrote to us not acknowledging our previous letter.

I found this odd so I checked with Royal Mail and our letter never reached them (good job I sent it recorded)

So I sent a copy of the letter from May again (with a copy of the Royal Mail receipt as proof we had been in touch)

They eventually wrote back last week and acknowledge our financial difficult and enclosed an income expeonditure form,

I know it may sound daft but do we have to fill this out seeing as we’ve made a repayment offer of £200 per month. The offer was to cover the loan repayment and some of the Overdraft.

I’m not sure where I stand with this, is it better to give them all of our income/outgoing details or could it open a can of worms? Wouldn’t the offer be enough?

did you get that parachute account operational?

what letter did you send

the one we pointed too?

I will pay £xx for xxmts if you freeze int/penalties?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi DX

The letter is on my pc at work (I meant to get a copy off) but yeh I did ask that they freeze interest/penalties and made the offer. Explained that we will never dig our way out of it if not and said it was a reasonable offer.

I also mentioned that our problems came when they changed the terms of their OD and that it left us with no money to live on sometimes and that we couldn’t budget because it was so erratic.

Parachute account is up and running 👍🏽

sure read upload

and they

upload sorted

thread tidied

there is no legal emit to send them any I+E

you have made the offer

if they fail to comply then the second letter in the same library needs to be sent.

and they