style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 591 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

Can someone please advise whether my car is exempt from being seized by Bailiffs for a debt of £1700 when it's only worth about £400-£500.

It's also vital as my role as carer for my two autistic children, it's not an official disability car but I'm their registered carer and need it to take them to appointments and to and from school as public transport is a no go due to their condition.

As I understand vehicles with a value less that £1350 that are needed for work are exempt, does my role as a carer put me in this category?

Thanks

Lisa

You will get better advice from someone else, but if that really is the value of the car then it doesn't seem to me to be appropriate to take it in the face of a debt of £1700. More importantly, there is the issue of vulnerability.

Which enforcement company it that you are dealing with?

Its with Equita.

The car is a 54 plate Peugeot 206 and not in great condition.

I have emailed the council today pointing out I refuse to give the Bailiffs anything and the situation with my children etc, But I wanted to know where I stand in regards to whether my car is seen as being vital so cannot be seized

I'm afraid emailing the council with that kind of message is probably not going to be very helpful. Did you receive that advice here or somewhere else on the Internet?

I think that the point that you need to emphasise to everybody is that you are responsible for two vulnerable children and that the car is needed because you are their registered carer. Have you been given a telephone number for equity? I think that you need to contact them directly – and as soon as possible. You should read our customer services guide and implement the advice there and then telephone them. However, it also to make email contact with them and once again to explain that you are the registered carer of two autistic children and that you need the vehicle. You can then go on to say that in any event, the value of the vehicle is £400-£500 and that if it was sold at auction it would probably fetch even less – probably a bare scrap value and that it would not be reasonable to consider that this item should be taken for a debt of £1700.

However, you should emphasise your vulnerability. I suggest that you do exactly this with the council as well – but do it formally, beginning with somebody on the telephone and then follow-up by email with everything that you have said. Get reference numbers for your telephone conversations – and as I have said, read our customer services guide first

Hi

Can someone please advise whether my car is exempt from being seized by Bailiffs for a debt of £1700 when it's only worth about £400-£500.

It's also vital as my role as carer for my two autistic children, it's not an official disability car but I'm their registered carer and need it to take them to appointments and to and from school as public transport is a no go due to their condition.

As I understand vehicles with a value less that £1350 that are needed for work are exempt, does my role as a carer put me in this category?

Lisa

Good morning Lisa,

As I think you probably already know, the vehicle will not be considered 'exempt'. For clarity, this is from the Taking Control of Goods Regulations 2013:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/1894/part/1/crossheading/exempt-goods/made?view=plain

Exempt items:

Items or equipment (for example, tools, books, telephones, computer equipment and vehicles) which are necessary for use personally by the debtor in the debtor’s employment, business, trade, profession, study or education, except that in any case the aggregate value of the items or equipment to which this exemption is applied shall not exceed £1,350;

As to the position with your sons (who are both autistic) I am aware from your earlier posts last year that they are both in receipt of DLA, Mobility element and care element. Are you not entitled to a Blue Badge?

Is this debt that is now with Equita the same as the one that was with Penham Excel last summer?