how to get an adjounment due to ill health

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2159 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a summons to appear at magistrates court on the 2nd May relating to a case innappropriate for the single justice proceedure. I have a prostate and bowel condition which has flared up and means that I constantly and unexpectedly need the WC. Does anyone know if I can get an adjournment ? and the proceedure needed

It does depend on whether you are going to plead guilty or not guilty. If the former, you can normally do this by letter. A grovelling letter including the reason for your not appearing in person (include the proof as in third paragraph) would get it over and done with.

If the situation is that by 'totting up' you could lose your licence, or you intend pleading the latter, you should contact the clerk to the court which issued the summons and explain the situation.

They will require a letter from your GP or hospital consultant confirming what you claim and a timescale by which your condition can be mitigated by either surgery or medication.

Having received the summons, the limitations on being dealt with as laid down by the relevant Act will not apply, so delaying the case will not cause it to go away.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

I have just re-read your post and see that the summons is for Tuesday, so you will need to attend and ask to speak to the clerk to the justices to explain and ask if an adjournment would be possible. As it will not give much time for getting a letter from the hospital consultant, you need to hope that your GP is not feeling Monday morningish and will supply a letter based on your records.

It is a pity that you did not come to the forum when you first received the summons.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

Thanks for your reply it is greatly appreiciated

Had intended to appear in court on Weds to plead not guilty, but my condition has worsend since the middle of last week so much so after phoning my surgery on Friday I was in the Dr office within ten mins. I have to attend tomorrow morning for Blood test and am to see the Dr immediately after. Not trying to dodge the charges just not able to make the journey and stand in court as you can imagine I don't want to be far from a WC and am in some discomfort.