• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Builder has issued a Letter before Claim over a disputed Build Cost

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2163 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had builder coming in to do extension work

Cut long story to short

we agreed on price

they came and worked 8 hours in 2 days and one of them asked me for some payment

i paid £500 and they didn't come for 2 days

turned up on 3rd day and made an excuse that they cant find the required doorframe

i called them

they promised to come after a week as one is sick and other one on holiday

When the week finished i ask them what are you guys up to

they start making excuses like they needed a skip so they could clear rubbish in the garden

i told them that's not the priority, do the interior work and by the the time you finish i would have ordered the skip as it take upto a week to order

They went funny

they are not coming until i get the skip which made me angry and told them not to come

i asked them to give me my money back and i refused to let them take their tools they have left at my property

It escalated to them accusing me of robbing them of their own tools

they turned up at my property

they called the police

police told them they will not get involved which they did not like

After that incident they saw me at one of the guys building, i didn't know they were working in there

they saw me and got physical and snached my phone

i reported this to the police

they asked me to leave the site and see them in the police station for an interview which i did

i was told by police they will not get involved in this as it is civil matter but the police officer said that he will call the builders and warn them that physical behavior is not acceptable if they acted like again the police will get involved .

After this i have received the letter below from the builder which i ignored them .

Today i have police visiting me asking for the tools and telling me that i cant keep their tools as it is theft of tools which really got me angry

i said ok fine you get my money back from them and take the tools

they said this is a civil matter

well then if you take tools and wont give them back to them that is the leverage

i got on to them to get my money back so you are more welcome to take them but take they wont take responsibility for the money back

they then said are you happy for us to hold the tools until you guys resolve the matter

i said fine as long you promise not to give them back its fine

they looked at the tools and kind of backed down holding on the tools saying there is too many

they admitted they only came because they were told by the builder that i sold the tool

i said look they all here they're no good to me

they then took pictures of the tools to show them and ask me not sell them as that is not legal and will get back to me and they left .

What is the best way i can deal with them now

thanks

letter prior to court action.pdf

Edited by honeybee13
Paras

Regardless of what happened, you cannot keep the tools as leverage or hostage.

You take the builder to court.

From reading the letter he has sent you its a labour only contract.

Your to source everything else.

If what the builder is saying is true, and its not uncommon from answers and a timeline they have given, from any other builder.

For example they didn't want to leave your house unsecured when they couldn't source a door frame.

That's reasonable.

From your story and their letter I'm of the feeling you'll lose

Thread moved to the appropriate forum...please continue to post here to your thread.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

For example they didn't want to leave your house unsecured when they couldn't source a door frame. That's reasonable.

From your story and their letter I'm of the feeling you'll lose

and i went and bought the frame from wicks and got someone else to fit it for me .

Did you have a contract or any sort of written agreement with the builders please?

HB

nope and they agreed with me £1600 to do the job and in this letter they just put figure of £2200 which is wrong

they only came 2 days turing up @ 11 and leaving @ 3pm

all of the hours on the letter are lies

they only put 10 plaster boards on in 2 days within 8 hours which i was being reasonable and told oke there was 2 of them £150 for the main guy and the helper £100 for 8 hours you spend £250 plus £50 as a good faith keep £300 and return me £200

As you see from the letter they Put the £1600 to £2200 to justify their time spent and also asking me that i owe them more

Edited by honeybee13
english

doc converted to PDF in 1st post.

can you try and read your posts first tariq before sending as some of the english you've used makes it difficult to correctly understand the story.

I've done my best with post 1 for you.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thread title updated to better reflect your issue

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Firstly, I think that although it sounds a bit extreme, I think that you are entitled to keep their tools in the circumstances and I certainly don't see any basis for saying that it is theft. However, you are responsible for keeping them in good condition and safe. If I were you I would take pictures of them – although you should done that immediately to show the condition and to show what you have. Be prepared eventually for someone to say that the tools are damaged or that they are not all there. That would certainly give you a problem.

• I understand that you contracted to have work done. You say it was for £1600. They say it was £2200.
  • You don't say what the work was or how long it was going to take. Are you able to tell us how long it was going to take?
  • After two days of work they asked for a payment on account and you paid them £500. This is a very normal arrangement.
  • However, they then failed to turn up and do any more work for two days.
  • On the third day they turned up but did not do any work because they said they needed certain materials.
  • After that you telephoned them – presumably to see where they were – and they told you that one of them is ill and the other one is on holiday.
  • A dispute developed and they refused to continue work and you then told them not to come back and that you wanted the return of your money.
  • You also said that you would not allow them to take back their tools unless they had returned your money.
  • There have then been several comings and goings and the police have been involved but by and large nothing has changed the situation.
  • A little while later, you met one of them and he snatched your telephone from you. – Has this been returned to you and is it in good condition?

They are now threatening to sue you.

They say that they have emailed you a written quotation. Is that correct? Does it detail the work to be done? Does it say that the cost of the work is £1600 or does it say that it is £2200?

I think you need to list out the work that you commissioned from them and then I think you need to indicate what parts of that work have been done and what remains undone.

I think it would also be worth getting an idea of how long, in principle, work like this would take to be done if it was being done on a daily basis.

Under normal circumstances you would be required to pay them for as much work as has been done. However, if it is possible to say that no part of the work has actually been finished – for instance a wall has not been fully plastered, then you probably wouldn't be required to pay for that. On the other hand, if all the walls are plastered but they have not been painted, then it is probably possible to say that the plastering is a task on its own which has been completed and the painting is a separate task. In that case, you would be liable to pay for the completed task and it would probably be unreasonable for you to withhold payment for the whole job.

It's all a bit involved and it's all about something called "severable contracts" where you can identify the various jobs which make up the entire contract and you can reasonably give a value to each part which has been fulfilled.

So for instance, if the job entails interior decorating and exterior decorating and they only complete the interior part, then it would be unreasonable for anyone to refuse to pay for the whole job. The client have at least to pay for the completed part of the contract – the interior decorating.

I feel I'm getting a bit over involved here and not explaining myself very well. I hope you get the picture.

What we need here is to understand what the entire contract was for, and what has been completed. When we know that we can then figure out what you should reasonably pay for in order to bring the whole arrangement between yourself and the builders to an end. It's clear that the confidence between you is so badly damaged that it will not be possible for them to continue the work for you – and I expect that you wouldn't want that.

I think also you need to get an assessment as to the value of the tools. You have paid them £500. If they have done less than £500 worth of work then clearly they should reimburse you and it might be reasonable to hang onto the tools or some of them until that money is forthcoming. On the other hand if it turns out that the value of the work they have done is more than £500 then you should return the tools and pay them the extra money.

One thing you should understand is that if it turns out that you owe them money and yet you are hanging onto the tools, then they could reasonably bring an action against you in trespass to their property.

Withholding access to the property is a good move, but you need to calculate things very carefully if you want to avoid trouble in the end.

Once again, list out the work which has been commissioned. List out the work that has been done. You will also eventually need to get an independent assessment of the cost of completing the contracted work by somebody else and also the value of the work that has been done.

You're going to need to do this very quickly.

This could exceptionally be a case which would be suitable for mediation.

both you and the builder keep banking on about the time they spent there, that is immaterial and unless you said the work must be completed by such a date it is for them to decide how they fit it in with other jobs they are running at the time.

You need to respond to this letter by stating what you agreed at the time,

why they have failed to keep their side of the contract and what you believe is the current situation regarding the alleged debt.

for example, if they fitted the door frame badly did you give them a chance to redo the work?

If their work is below an acceptable standard you can invoice them for your additional costs in remedying their mistakes.

Also find out if they belong to a trade association like the Federation of Master Builders as they have free mediation and arbitration schemes.

Edited by dx100uk
Spacing

Sorry, but I disagree with this. I think it is very clear that there will always be an implied term that the work must be completed within a reasonable time. Furthermore, if there are delays and breaks in the work being done then I think that there is also an implied term that the customer is kept appraised of the situation and understands which days there will be no work and when the work will be resumed.

It is not possible for a builder or any other service provider to treat a contract is completely open-ended in terms of the time for completion simply because it has never been discussed or agreed.

the pertinent thing here is reasonable.

i wouldnt suggest that any agreement is open ended but the OP wasnt employing them on a day rate so whether they arrived late or early is immaterial to actualy getting the job done in a timely manner.

For example, you wouldnt fit a door into new brickwork the same day nor lay tiles on a new concrete floor because they need time to set properly. The time taken to do a part of the job has no bearing on thie waiting time for such things.

that doesnt excuse rudeness or bullying by the builders though and clearly they have failed to communicate properly with the customer both at the outset and later on as the work and its problems developed

By and large I think you're wrong.