cchan

1,300 Euro debt in Germany be enforced in Canada

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 606 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

A Germany collection agency is trying to collect debt of about 1,300 euro from my son. I would like to know will it affect his credit rating in Canada and can the German collection agency take my son to court in Canada? and what is the consequence if he leave the debt unpaid?

The collection agency keeps adding interest and different fees in the total amount, is this legal? Can my son just paid the original debt amount? the original debt was about 1700 CAD

Many thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to CAG.

We're a UK based site, does your son have a connection with here please?

Best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

the debt action will be subject to german or canadian law, which is outside the scope of this forum.

However laws are not extraterritorial which means German law cannot be enforced in Canada. that means you son can ignore anything from the debt collector.

The German dca will have to have the authority from the original creditor to do anything and canada law is similar to UK law so they will have to get a canadian solicitor involved and then produce a paper trail for the debt and it is unlikely that any add ons will ever be legal and the whole thing too expensive to continue

. That is why they send out scary letters, they dont really have a prospect of getting money any other way.

As for paying the original debt- he should speak to the actual creditor, not some rentamouth if he wants to go down this route,

if they refuse to talk then he walks away, canada law will have a thing called mitigation as does the UK and that forces the creditor to behave in a proper manner regarding the debt or they lose the right to claim it