• Tweets

• Anglian Water (although others may be culpable).   Some time ago users of this forum complained about the level or proportionality of standing charges on fuel bills.  The feeling was that 25% standing charge would be acceptable against the unit cost.  Anglian Water in Essex, responsible for sewage removal,  charge around 80% of a bill for this, my last account was £10 unit cost against a £44 standing charge.  Anglian claim that this is due to infrastructure issues and that my area is sparsley occupied.    Southend on Sea has 160,000 residents, hardly sparse, and infrastructure issues are their problem, not mine.  Anglian is also responsible, according to Environment Agency, of contaminating sea water in my locale.   If there is no legislation regarding the proportion of standing charge to unit cost, there certainly should be !  Any advice ?   (There is a wider issue of charging through third parties that could be taken up seperately.)
    • So - I continue to not pay any more?  Until they respond with the info I have asked for?
    • Hello and welcome to CAG. I'll move your thread to the Residential and lettings forum and leave you a link to follow from the Welcome forum.   I'm sorry to hear about your neighbour problems, people should be along to advise later.   Best, HB
    • Your only hope is asking for discretion on the grounds of well you didn't realise you had to pay online you expected a toll booth, you didn't see any sign of any penalty charge amount and basically it's your first time using this toll bridge and you were unaware of the process,.   In the past, for 1st time offence, Merseyflow have responded rejecting the appael but on this one occasion have reduced the penalty to the toll fee.   You might be lucky.
    • Yes, Manxman has put you on the right track.   You need to perform a Statutory Declaration (to declare, on oath, that you knew nothing of the court proceedings against you). You must do this within 21 days of learning about your conviction. You can either do so at a Magistrates' Court for which you will need to make an appointment. They may not be able to fit you in within 21 days but so long as you explain to the court that it was the earliest date available they will accept your declaration. Alternatively you can make the declaration before a solicitor. They may charge you a small fee (£5 - £10).   Once this is done the conviction you have (for failing to provide driver's details) is set aside. The prosecution will almost certainly start proceedings again and in many areas they are now doing so immediately following your statutory declaration. Ideally it would be best if you could see the prosecutor before the court sits (ask when you check in at reception) and offer to plead guilty to the speeding charge provided the FtP charge is dropped. It is a common deal which is usually readily accepted. Under no circumstances should you plead guilty to either offence until you have had the chance to discuss this deal. If the deal is refused you should maintain Not Guilty pleas to both charges. They cannot convict you of speeding (they have no evidence you were driving) and the trial for FtP will be held at a later date. You can then consider your position for that offence.   If they do accept your offer to plead guilty to speeding you might try asking if you can be sentenced at the Fixed Penalty level (£100 and three points) provided the speed is low enough (let me know the speed/limit and I will tell you if it qualifies).. Magistrates have guidance enabling them to do this which says this:   Where a penalty notice could not be offered or taken up for reasons unconnected with the offence itself, such as administrative difficulties outside the control of the offender, the starting point should be a fine equivalent to the amount of the penalty and no order of costs should be imposed. The offender should not be disadvantaged by the unavailability of the penalty notice in these circumstances.   But first things first - make arrangements to do the Stat Dec.
  • Our picks

• My personal experiences of Future Comms 

Don't touch them owe me £500 since January 2019 make excuse after excuse. Seem they always have software problems sending money out. Keep saying they will call back or email nothing been chasing it now for 6 mths the phone staff always have the same banter we will chase it up and get back to you then nothing!
      • 0 replies
    • Future Comms is a Big Con. How to get out of it. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/417058-future-comms-is-a-big-con-how-to-get-out-of-it/
      • 4 replies
    • Future Comms issues. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/416504-future-comms-issues/
      • 5 replies
    • This is a bit of a lengthy one but I’ll summerise best as possible.

THIS IS HOW THE PHONECALL WENT 

I was contacted by future comms by phone, they stated that they could beat any phone contract I have , (I am a limited company but just myself that needs a business phone and I am the only worker) 
      I told future comms my deal, £110 per month with a phone and a virtual landline, they confirmed that they could beat that, £90 per month with a phone , virtual landline  they also confirmed they would pay Vodafone (previous provider) the termination fee. As I am in business, naturally I was open to making a deal. So we proceeded. 
      Future comms then revealed that the contract would be with PLAN.COM and the airtime would be provided by 02, I instantly told them that this would break the deal as I have poor 02 signal in the house where I live as my partner is on 02 and constantly complaining about bad signal
      the salesman assured me he would send a signal booster box out with the phone so I would have perfect signal.
      so far so good.....
      i then explained this is the only mobile phone I use for business and pleasure, so therefore I didn’t want any disconnection time in the slightest between the switchover from Vodafone to 02
      the salesman then confirmed that the existing phone would only be disconnected once the new phone was switched on.
      so far so good....
      • 14 replies
style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 404 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I signed up to AA home insurance February 2017. I paid circa £120 up front for the year.

I moved house in November 2017. It was cheaper to go with someone else, so I called aa to cancel my existing policy and also cancelled my dd.

It seems that they tried to auto renew me in february and failed to take an annual payment. I have post redirection but didnt receive any notification of this.

I have now received a default notice and a request for monies.

After speaking to their customer service manager they have promised to review their records to see if I did call or not. I cannot prove that I did as my phone doesnt go that far back.

I am sure they have very clever t&c's but do I have a leg to stand on?

Nope it's not like car ins

They should not auto renew without authorisation

Make sure they've not trashed your credit file

Then ignore them

You owe nowt

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

I think they have marked my file or are at least threatening to do so if I dont pay some charges.

I could understand it it I tried to cancel within the 12 months and hadn't paid all of the monthly instalments, but this is different.

They are looking at their records, its not really in their commercial interests to help me.

Is there any action I can take?

Why did the auto renewal in Feb 2018 fail? "...they tried to auto renew me in february and failed to take an annual payment..."

To put it another way, they auto renewed another years house insurance for a property I no longer live at in February but were unable to take a payment as the DD was cancelled.

Presumably thy sent out a letter a few weeks in advance, but this didnt get redirected and so the first I knew of the problem was a threatogram.

As far as I knew, it was cancelled. As far as they concerned I have failed to keep up payments.

Don't call them again, write and set out your position clearly.

I'd say something like:

-- I called you on/about November xth and told you I was moving and the policy was to be cancelled. You said to me that.... [give a brief summary of the conversation]

-- I did not receive an auto-renewal letter from you in February 2018 (my post is redirected so I would have got it if one had been sent). I did not query this because I was not expecting to receive any such letter as the policy was no longer in force

-- I have had no insurable interest in Property A since November 2017 so I could not have insured it even if I had wanted to.

-- There was no policy in force for you to auto renew in February 2018, I have not renewed any policy with you, and therefore I do not owe you any money.

Someone else may be able to suggest some improvements to that, but keep it short and factual. Send it Tracked mail (recorded delivery).

Also check with your bank about when you cancelled the DD. When you cancelled it did they tell the AA it had been cancelled? I have a feeling banks do tell the company named in the DD. If so add that to the letter. "After my phone call I cancelled the DD, My bank confirms they told you direct that I had cancelled the DD. As you did mnot ask me why I had cancelled the DD it is reasonable to assume that you knew why I had cancelled the DD, because the policy had been cancelled". Or some such.

• Confused 1

Many thanks Ethel and dx.

I will use this to drafted a letter to them. There are a few similar but older threads on here with no conclusion. I will keep this up to date.

What is amusing is that they called me at 7pm on Friday 29th from the number 01614958179 and tried to sell me a load of services. Clearly a broken organisation who would take action against someone for supposed bad debt and try to sell more to them at the same time! :D

When did you move?

For how long did you arrange with PO for all Mail to be re-directed to your new address?

I got that but I was also seeking OPs response to my 2nd related question.

Edited by Andyorch
edited

hi mariner.

I moved in november and I paid for 12 months of redirection (iirc it was £40 for 6 months or £60 for 12).

Received a standard email in response to my letter. Not good enough really as they are threatening to trash my credit file and there is no mention of any action being put on hold.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about your concerns from which we are sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction.

We are required to investigate these concerns within a period of eight weeks from the date your complaint was received. Of course, we do not anticipate that it will take eight weeks to complete our investigation but we are required to inform you of the expectations of our regulator in dealing with complaints of this nature.

It is possible that you will not hear from us for a couple of weeks while we complete our review, however we will advise you of our findings as soon as possible. In the meanwhile, a copy of our internal complaints procedure can be found here http://www.theaa.com/aboutaa/complaints.

where is there any mention of trashing your credit file? they tried to take an unsolicited payment for a product you no longer have or want so to threaten you would be foolhardy. No-one has to ahve household insurance and the worst they can do is lose themselves business by gaining a bad reputation

Correct me if I am wrong but a default sum showing on your account doesnt look good?

The story continues.

They took 3 months worth of payments £76 from my credit card on Monday (assume this is a card that I first used to setup the account).

An absolute shambles of a company.

Go get it back then from your card provider then

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

did you pay the premium by instalments as it appears to be the case. If so then they will have set up a continuous payment authority so yes, they can default you for not paying but only you will know whether you agreed to autorenew.

You may have to get a copy of the original conversation transcript if you did it by phone but in the meanwhile start instructing them rather than complaining.

likewise your bank, tell them that there was no authority and they should reverse the payments collected.

The bank will ask AA about this so be adamant and make sure the bank knows exactly what happened and when so they arent led by the Aa's claim that they have the right to do anything they want.

essentially it is a credit agreement we are looking at now, not an insurance contract so dates of when it started and finished ordinarily and exactly what you told them when you moved

Edited by dx100uk
Spacing

Thanks for your help. Yes, I am actually paying by 12 monthly instalments, the first one jan 17.

It was cheaper to go with someone else, so I called aa to cancel my existing policy. I was advised that I could pay up front now or let the last 2 payments run. In hindsight, I dont think it was cancelled. I have asked for transcripts in my complaint but this can take weeks.

What do you mean by "start instructing"?

I have received 2 threats today from AA.

They want £600 from me are continuing to force me to pay.

This seems highly unfair as they told me it would be 8 weeks before they could investigate.

How can I put this on hold until they can at least sort out their own investigation?

just let it run

they cant harm you