style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 609 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Please can I have some advice,

my dad applied through a company for ppi, sadly 2 months later he unexpectedly passed away,

we received notification he was due a payout from Lloyd’s bank after his death and duly received a cheque in his name

, the estate has been passed to my mom, to whom Lloyd’s reissued the cheque in her name, the ppi company are demanding their charges be paid,

Lloyd’s suggested we do not pay them as the contract was with my dad not my mom,

where do we stand on this,

if it is owed they will be paid,

but if not legally required obviously we would rather not ,

many thanks

Hello and welcome to CAG. I'm sorry to hear about your father.

I'll move you to the PPI forum and leave you a link to follow, people should be along later to advise.

Could you tell us which PPI company please? From what you say it sounds as if your father signed a contract with them.

Best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

If before his death your father was personally entitled to receive the PPI payment and was under a personal contractual obligation to pay the PPI company its charges then that entitlement and the contractual obligation pass to the Estate.

The Executors are required to collect in money owing to the Estate (eg the PPI payment from Lloyds) and to pay the Estate's debts (eg the charges due to the PPI company)

. Someone's death doesn't change the status of debts they owed at the time they died, the debts just become payable from the Estate instead and Lloyds advice seems wrong to me.

That all assumes of course that your father was contractually obliged to pay the PPI company. If he wasn't then the Estate doesn't have to pay it.

EDIT. It occurs to me that the position could also be different if the underlying PPI had been in the joint names of your mother and father so that she was entitled to receive it her own right, and not only as a beneficiary of your father's Estate.

Roughly how much was the pay out and how much are the claim company requesting ?

Was your fathers estate worth more than £5000 ?

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi it was 7000 and they are asking for nearly £2000. Which we understand but just questioning whether we do need to pay this given the circumstances the estate is in joint names with mom

Depends on how large the estate is and if any monies are left is the estate after all priority disbursements.

Legally if he signed an agreement with the claims company the money is owing...whether you pay them will depend on the above.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi it was 7000 and they are asking for nearly £2000. Which we understand but just questioning whether we do need to pay this given the circumstances the estate is in joint names with mom

The Estate can't be in joint names. Do you mean the PPI payment and/or the original loan the PPI was attached to were in joint names?

Are you the Executor?