Advice concerning my Credit card debt situation with Barclaycard.

jimsix
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2214 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I'm totally new to all this and have had a situation develop over the last 6-8 months where I was unable to pay my credit card bills.

My credit was 12k, I ignored it for a few months while dealing with some family issues.

I got in contact with them in January and set up a plan to catch up over a 3 month period at £600 a month, I made the first payment but failed in February when I had to take weeks off dealing with my older brother (45) passing away and needing to help my mother through that process. When I called to tell them they told me the card was now cancelled and they were going to pass me on to a debt agency.

At that point, I said I'd prefer to deal with them if possible and have every intention of catching up and paying the card off asap, they gave me 30 days to contact them again. I am approaching the end of that period and have made very little progress. There is good news that I've interviewed for 3-4 diff engineering positions and should soon be back earning 5-6k a month.

I guess my questions are in my position what is the optimal approach to clearing this debt, my instincts of guilt say deal with Barclaycard and plan on paying the full amount back. I also fear the debt being sold and some horror story of dealing with that. Is that logical? Would I actually be better off having them pass it to a third party?

All in all, I'm just a bit overwhelmed by it all and want to have it sorted.

I should have started looking for work sooner, I've been self-employed remotely in a weird industry for the last 10 years that's shrinking and I tried to hold on too long. Through old military friends, I feel very very confident I will be working soon.

Any help on how to approach my next call to Barclaycard would be very welcome!

Sorry for the long ramble, I am just super clueless with all this and never expected to be in this position.

when did you take the card out please?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

ok good so if they did sell it on to a no powers DCA

they would have to produce a copy of the signed agreement to enforce anything .

a DCA is not a bailiff

and has zero legal powers

so forget the worry there

pers i'd let things run till you are in work again

then contact BC.

see what slick132 says...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks so much for the response. I got a text today mentioning the 30 days was approaching and to call to review the situation, I have an interview tomorrow that could lead to starting as soon as next week so my plan was to wait until after that and hopefully have an offer of work to tell them about.

I guess given the card is canceled/my credit rating is now dead am I being Naive in my desire to still continue to pay off the full amount asap?

Edited by jimsix

I guess given the card is canceled/my credit rating is now dead am I being Naive in my desire to still continue to pay off the full amount asap?

Have you checked your CRF?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi Jimsix and welcome to CAG

If you want to keep BC on-side, you need to make the payments they want, regardless of your earnings situation.

If you fail to pay what they want or make an alternative short-term arrangement, they'll default the a/c and pass the debt on to Collections or a DCA.

DX says above that the debt may not be enforceable if BC don't have the right paperwork. But only time will tell how you and BC manage the situation until you're earning enough to catch up and continue paying.

If you fail to keep them happy with payments as agreed, they'll default the a/c and trash your CRA files. If you can't afford to catch up with payments, your only hope is to borrow from family or friends until you're earning properly again.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks slick.

If they pass it on to collections or a DCA what would be the process there?

Will they give me a chance to start making payments or would they show up expecting a lump sum?

I've been living at my mums since returning to the UK, could they show up and start trying to take her belongings?

I would guess the answer to these Q's is no but still just want to be prepared.

If they have defaulted that means your credit file will be marked for 6 years , however have you sat down and done a I & E form that you can get to see how much you can afford to pay them after all your priority expenses .

Have they frozen interest and charges if not why not I had the problem with them so the amount of money I paid then went straight down to £1 a month to until they refunded all the charges and froze all subsequent interest.

As for anyone turning up on your doorstep it wont happen , if Barclaycard sells the debt on you will get letters from a DCA probably offering you a discount that would probably be the time I would ask for a CCA to see whether they can supply it . but long time

Hi Jim,

Let's see where this goes rather than guess what could happen.

Read other threads for guidance but do NOT worry about agents calling at YP's home. You're a long way from that !

Have BC defaulted the a/c yet. If so, when ?

If the damage is already done to your CRA files, then you should (postmn suggests) fill in an I&E budget planner to see what you can afford for now. Whatever that amount is, you should offer it to BC and ask that int't and penalty charges cease immediately. See our Library Letter here - https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387346-Ask-Creditor-to-Accept-Pro-Rata-Payments-**Correct-as-at-October-2013**&p=4192527&viewfull=1#post4192527

If BC is the only debt you're dealing with, adapt the letter as necessary.

Once you're back on your feet, you can reclaim any penalty/default charges that have been added to your a/c.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hey guys, thanks so much for all the assistance.

Feel pretty good about getting offered this job probably tomorrow so will ring them and try and figure out the details when I have that confirmed!

Really appreciate you taking the time to assist

If you do ring them, then you need to follow it up with a hard copy, AND you want a copy (in writing) of what they told you would happen over the phone, they have a real bad habit of saying whatever it is you want to hear over the phone, yet the complete opposite when they have to commit to paper.

If you can record your call, all the better.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi Jim

I asked above, has the a/c been defaulted and when ?

The account was canceled, which I assume is the same? When I failed to make the catch-up payment late February this year. Just got off the phone and they agreed to chat again in 30 days and freeze all fees etc also to send me a letter confirming everything. It was a lot more pleasant conversation than the last few and the agent mentioned that even if I don't catch up in that time its fine just to keep them updated of my circumstances and make the payments I can.

Obviously, this is easier as I don't have any other debts or responsibilities. I will be starting the new job on the 3rd or 9th depending on when my medical clears so can look forward to getting back ahead soon hopefully. Thank you all again for the advice, it really is very kind of you all to take time to assist random strangers on the internet!

Hi Jim,

Please let us know what their letter says when they write to confirm everything.

Our customer services guide recommends that you always record phone calls so you have proof of what was said or agreed. Sadly, what you're told by phone will not always be reflected in the letter you get.