Couple of Questions

deemacperth
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6567 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Aloha one and all. Sent my DPA off to Halifax on Tuesday. quick question though, never saw it answered in Faq's.

If my claim is over £5000 (and in 5 years I'm guessing it will) whats my best options?

1. Should I go for the lot and leave the small claims? What's the consequences?

2. If I stay in the small claims can I split my claim? ie. £3000 for 2001 to 2003 and then remaining for 2004 to date.

3. I'm Scottish, opened the account in Scotland with Halifax (Not BOS), but have lived in England since opening it for 5 years, my registered address is in London and I'm on the electoral register there, can I succesfully persue this in the English courts?

Any ideas or links to cases that have had this would help.

Cheers all.

If the name of the claim is blue and underlined, click it to see how I did it.

• Halifax - 1st Request for £3748.80 sent 10/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Goldfish - Unable to comment further, have a read

• Lloyds - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 1st estimated request for £1500 sent15/08 LBA sent 08/09

• Carphone Warehouse - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 Chased 04/07 ICO complaint 18/07

• First National - 1st Request for £280 sent 05/05 Settled in full and 5% donated

• Yes car credit - LBA sent 19/07 Court Action launched 26/09

• HFC Bank - 1st Request for £100 sent 06/06 Settled in full and 5% donated

Like what I said? Hit the scales on the top right of my post. Cheers

Disclaimer - By giving advice, I am not putting myself across as a legal expert. Always seek professional advice.

Help the site, donate 5%, I have.

Its all in the FAQ's but do a search on 'sever' that will get you started.

Woolfie

Advice & opinions given by Woolfie are my own, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Cheers folks, missed the search feature. :-|

• Lloyds - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 1st estimated request for £1500 sent15/08 LBA sent 08/09

• Carphone Warehouse - Data Protection Act sent 19/04 Chased 04/07 ICO complaint 18/07

• First National - 1st Request for £280 sent 05/05 Settled in full and 5% donated

Disclaimer - By giving advice, I am not putting myself across as a legal expert. Always seek professional advice.

You may wish to read my post here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5115

In point 2 in my post the Act I mention :- 'Civil Jurisdiction and Judgments Act 1982' would apply to anyone in your position. This allows for cross-border cases and as the consumer is treated as the weaker party then they can choose where to bring an action. That's my reading of it but I could really do with someone with some legal expertise to comment. However, although in a slightly differnt position i.e. In Scotland, account opened in Scotland I am still going to persue via England.

Hope this helps.

One other point, as you now live in England and that is the address the bank has for you, I doubt very much they will trawl through your records on the off chance you used to live in Scotland and should be treated differently. They would have to do this for everyone. What do others think ?

This could be interesting. One the one hand, when you opened the account, and therefore originally signed the 'contract' and agreed to the T&C you were in Scotland.

However, most of the charges would have ocurred whilst you were in England, using an english branch of the bank.

I'm not sure if legally it is the fact that the contract between you and your bank is technically Scottish, or that the charges were made in England and therefore under English law that would prevail.

I think you have a good case though, and yes it is unlikely the banks will check people's old addresses going back that far. And yes you shoul dbe able to get the case heard in England at your closest available court, so the court, judge, etc would be in England anyway.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6567 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks