ARC & Major Law letters on behalf of Bannatynes

MrRobotz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2207 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?485538-ARC-Major-Law-harassment-over-Bannatynes-membership-HELP!!&p=5105011#post510501

Hi MrMo and welcome to CAG

Major Law used to deal with hundreds of Harlands gyms cases but they stopped getting involved a couple of years back - probably because we advised every CAGger to tell Major Law where to get off !!

There was another "law" firm, Spratt Endicott, who were regularly used for alleged gym debts but they stopped handling Harlands cases because we told everyone to ignore them, or threaten them with the SRA.

This will not go near a court, based on our experience over the last 10 years. They'll threaten lots but do nothing !

However, if you want to stop the harassment more proactively, we're always looking for folk we will assist in taking the gym and ARC Europe to court for harassment.

Let us know if you're genuinely interested and we'll help you kick bottom !!

:-)

Hi Slick132

I am new to the forum, I have read a few other post and you seem to be an expert in these cases, wonder if you could share some knowledge. :)

I have been following this forum over the past 2 days as I am in a similar situation to mrmotash but the only difference is that mine was a 1 month rolling contract and I only canceled the DD, however I do recall ringing the head office to cancel (roughly 2 years ago) but was advised to go into the gym to cancel which I didn't end up doing. Due to previous experience with gym memberships with puregym and thegymgroup, stopping the DD was all I needed to do to end my membership.

However I have received a letter from ARC in Feb 2018 and then another one in Mar 2018 from Major Law, but these letters are going to an old address that I don't live at anymore (mums address).

They are demanding a balance of £29, do you think I should just pay or ignore the letters as technically I've not received them?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Hi Guys

I am new to the forum, I have read a few other post on this forum and I seem to be affected by similar issues being a previous Bannatyne gym member.

I have been following this forum for the past 2 days seeking to top up my knowledge and get more information on these firms trying to recover an old debt for Bannatyne.

I recall signing to a 1 month rolling contract and I only canceled the DD, however I do recall ringing the head office to cancel (roughly 2 years ago) but was advised to go into the gym to cancel which I didn't end up doing. Due to previous experience with gym memberships with puregym and thegymgroup, stopping the DD was all I needed to do to end my membership.

I remember that due to not using the gym for a good 2 months, I decided to cancel my DD.

However I have received a letter from ARC in Feb 2018 and then another one in Mar 2018 from Major Law, but these letters are going to an old address that I don't live at anymore (mums address).

They are demanding a balance of £29, do you think I should just pay or ignore the letters as technically I've not received them?

Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Thanks for the swift response, are you saying that I should ignore the letters?

If I ignore, do you think I would here from them again etc?

I am only worried about getting a CCJ which I don't want, sorry am still a newbie to all this hence needing some knowledge sharing from the forum.

Thanks.

Edited by dx100uk

gyms don't do court since they lost 5yrs ago badly.

as long as you've not moved since you took the membership out you are safe to ignore them after all this time

just remember a DCA nor their fake/tame solicitors

ARE NOT BAILIFFS

and have

ZERO LEGAL POWERS.

only balantynes could ever do court

and we've never seen them do that once

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

roughly 2 years ago
Hahahaha, seriously?

Just ignore it really, if they haven't done anything in the last two years, they're definitely NOT going to do a damn thing now.

Get onto social media and embarrass the gym, let their current members know just how they're treated should they dare leave!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks for all the swift advice.

I don't live at that address anymore and as far as am concerned, I've never received the letters in that case.

Thanks again for all the quick responses.

Hahahaha, seriously?

Just ignore it really, if they haven't done anything in the last two years, they're definitely NOT going to do a damn thing now.

Get onto social media and embarrass the gym, let their current members know just how they're treated should they dare leave!

Haha, yes I'll ignore all these letters for now, well I don't live at that address anymore so as far as am aware, I've not received any letters.

Edited by dx100uk
merge/quote

Hi Mr R and welcome to CAG

We always suggest you ensure that ARC or their pet solicitor has your current address. You can do this by sending a brief letter to Major Law :-

Dear sir or madam,

I refer to your letter of xxdate and kindly note my current address.

ARC (Europe) have no right to make demands of me and you, a registered law firm, have no right to make demands out of the blue for a matter that you have no knowledge of.

If you write to me again, I will make a formal complaint to the SRA.

Yours faithfully,

I suggest you also send a copy to ARC (Europe) saying :-

I enclose a copy of a letter sent today to Major Law confirming my new address.

If you make any further demands to pay, I will make formal complaints as necessary about harassment.

Get a free Certificate of Posting for each letter at the PO.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks for the advice slick132, I was about to ignore them but only just seen your reply today.

If I send those letters, what are the chances that they will stop sending letters as I am afriad that they will carry on after getting a response and getting hold of my new address?

:-(

Edited by dx100uk

you want them to have your correct address

prevents a backdoor CCJ you'll know nowt about!

same for your credit file debts!

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If I send those letters, what are the chances that they will stop sending letters as I am afriad that they will carry on after getting a response and getting hold of my new address?

:-(

I really don't know what the issue is with them continuing to send you puerile empty threat letters to your address?

The more they send, and the more you keep and file away, the greater your argument of harassment (a criminal offence) is against the gym.

You have complained, and got onto the gyms social media sites and embarassed them on there haven't you?

There is absolutely nothing to be afraid of! Those letters are printed out by the hundreds, if not thousands on a weekly basis, BY A COMPUTER!

They have no knowledge of what letters are spat out by their dumb computers, until you ring them and tell them, which you will never do.

Like i said, keep a diary of events, and continue to complain and exhaust the gyms complaints procedure, embarrass them on social media, and if necessary lodge a formal complaint with your local police station regarding the offence of harassment.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks bazooka boo, I will get the letters sent out shortly as advised by slick.

I've not got onto social media yet but I'll get round to it to embrass them. :-)

I will definitely keep a log of events and all the letters they send.

Hmm .... don't hold your breath !

Keep us posted.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Slick132, I was too busy enjoying the Easter break and forgot to keep you updated.

ARC got my letter and quickly sent a letter back which I received on the 27th March.

Below is the content of the letter.

"we are writing in response to your recent correspondence.

We regret to learn that you feel harassed over this matter. Please accept our assurance that it is not our intention for you to feel this way, however we must advise you that we do not view our attempts to contact you as harassment. We have been instructed to manage this account on our clients behalf; we are therefore authorised and permitted to contact you in connection with this matter.

We remain instructed that the above balance is outstanding and must be paid as you did not cancel your membership in accordance with the agreed Terms and Conditions. You are required to provide one month's notice to cancel as per the Terms and Conditions. The balance on this account represents one month's notice (£29.00).

Please provide proof of cancellation in order for us to refer the matter back to our client for further instructions, i.e. a receipt from royal mail confirming delivery of your notice to cancel or a letter or receipt from our client acknowledging your notice to cancel. Unfortunately, a copy of your cancellation letter is not sufficient proof that your provided our client with notice to cancel.

You can make a secure payment to ARC 24 hours a day with your debit or credit card by visiting our website wwwarceuropeltd.co.uk or by calling our automated payment hotline on 01332647693. For details of all payment method please see the back of this letter. Alternatively you can telephone us to make a payment by debit or credit card.

If you are in financial difficulty you may want to contact one of the free debt advice organisations referred to on the reverse of this letter.

We have placed your account on hold for 14 days pending your proof or payment proposals. However, if we do not receive this, we may be required to pass this account to our solicitors."

Quite a lengthy letter, not sure if I have a leg to stand on or should I just pay these idiots?

Any advice is certainly welcome, thanks again.

as post 6

and they

Hi MrR,

Whilst we often tell folk to ignore demands, I'd like you to reply to ARC by letter again saying :-

I refer to your letter of xxdate.

You are referring to a gym agreement that I cancelled 2 years ago, yet you ask me now for Royal Mail proof of postage.

I had no need to use RM Signed For delivery - notice can be given in many forms as set out in the High Court ruling on The OFT v AMSL years ago.

You have used Major Law to harass me to pay an alleged debt I don't owe.

This is why I will make formal complaints if you contact me again.

Keep us posted ............ :-)

Thank you once again for the quick responses guys.

Cheers for this slick, I have been so busy today and only just got round to seeing your reply, I'll get this letter sent out tomorrow with a cheeky certificate of postage.

Hope these clowns will leave me alone after this letter.

I'll keep you posted. :)

Hope these clowns will leave me alone after this letter.

Matters not on jot! And it is highly likely they will continue with their criminal offence of harassment, this is why you lodge formal complaints about the gym every time their pet poodle pees on your lawn.