Redundancy options when a company is sold

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2205 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work for a subsidiary of a large company that has been bought recently by a larger international company. In their restructuring it is looking like our subsidiary is no longer of interest to our new masters, so they'll be selling it on. When this happens will we be made redundant with the old company and 're-employed' on new & undoubtedly sh1ttier contracts, (based on this company's reputation) with the new one or will we just be TUPE'd over seamlessly without issue?

If this new company just decides to sell to a company I don't ethically respect/want to work for, then if I refuse to sign any new contract can I claim redundancy as effectively my original contract no longer exists as the company I signed it with no longer exists?

things that might happen:-

current company makes you redundant before any buy out

TUPE over and new company makes you redundant

TUPE over and job carries on as before

TUPE over and you are found suitable alternative employment and are not made redundant

You have no grounds for redundancy on grounds of ethical disagreement; the law is there to keep people IN work as much as possible, not help them leave

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Okay thanks for the insight. A couple more questions, if I may, IF I'm TUPE'd over to the new company do I have to physically sign a new contract or is it just 'business as usual' for the little man? (IE 'me') Secondly, if this new company ask us to sign new contracts, which are at a detriment to me (perceived or in reality) and I decide not to sign it, can I claim redundancy from the old original company that is no longer able to employ me?

you transfer on your existing contract, no need to re-sign, and as with your current employer, terms can be varied with appropriate notice and/or consultation, depending on the change

and no, that's not a route to a redundancy payoff!

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

You cant claim a redundancy

This is most likely to happen.

Your tuped over on original contact.

Then the parent company will either disband or sell off if not interested. If its disbanded then redundancy comes into play.

You carry on on your contract and then they will eventually change it, quite legally. You either sign or go.

Right-ho. Thanks. Little man gets no say once again then. I get the picture. Thanks for all responses, it's helped me build an idea of the state of play

• Sad 1

I know you're under pressure, Cerdo, given the redundancy and the situation you outlined in your previous thread, but please keep personal feelings out of this. People are trying to explain the options, not pick on you.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

If your company employed a new manager you arent made redundant just because there is a new name on a doorplate. It is the same here. The newco has an interest in getting value out of this part of the business so they arent going to dismantle it just because they now own it. There are many reasons whya takeovers happen and creating monopolies is a very slow growth reason so they are likely to want to keep a profitable business intact.