Barclaycard cancelling card

eatonhill
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2227 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

Long story short.

Put in for PPI and won.

Paid off substantial amount on my credit cards.

1 month later received letter from B/card telling me they “realise” I’ve had a b/card for some time ( 12 years actually) at my current non uk address.

They are going to cancel card as I’ve not got uk address.

Is it legal for B/card to break their terms and conditions yet I have to comply, which I did when I told them of my non uk address.

Seems strange that for 12 years they were quite happy for me to have their card but now due to paying off a huge chunk I’m now penalised.

Any thoughts if this has happened to other expats and are B/card in breach of their own rules?

"To minimise inconvenience, we are only closing accounts that have not been used at all for more than six months. The vast majority have been inactive for over three years."

Mr Piplani added: "While our cards can be used in most countries in the world, our terms and conditions make it clear that customers should have a valid UK address. Although we can support overseas addresses on a temporary basis, our accounts are not designed to be registered to permanent overseas addresses.

"Customers overseas who do not use their accounts, but would like to keep them open, can do so by providing us a UK contact address for the account."

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hello, thanks for reading. I too read the newspaper report. As for Mr Piplani reply it makes no sense. I use my card overseas but that doesn’t mean I have a uk address. Also, very misleading saying a U.K. contact address. The letter sent out states you have to be resident in uk. My point in this thread is Barclay card have broken their own terms and conditions by knowingly continuing to supply me with new cards, a credit limit and sending my paper statements to an overseas address for 12 years! It’s only now they realise I live abroad. Is 12 years a temporary basis?

I suppose things change in the passage of time in the Financial World ...given that your agreement is over 12 years old...a creditor is allowed to change it practices.......just provide a UK Contact address as advised above.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

I suppose things change in the passage of time in the Financial World ...given that your agreement is over 12 years old...a creditor is allowed to change it practices.......just provide a UK Contact address as advised above.

Hi Andy , that’s the one thing you can’t do - they may say provide contact address but it has to be a specific address with proof of residency, ie bill, rates etc

I was referring to general practices and amendments to agreements as the Financial world evolves .....on line banking...contactless cards etc etc.