• Tweets

• Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Link/kearns claimform - old barclaycard debt - N244 to lift stay received

robinjw
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1408 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I have a debt which was with Barclaycard originally back in the 90's, roughly £7k.

I got into trouble a few years ago when I was ripped off by an investment company who put me out of business and stole several thousand pounds from me.

I was advised to use Step Change in 2016 to sort out 4 debts in total.

I was not aware that this system would only last for 1 year ( paying a nominal sum per month to each debt) and that afterwards I would be back to square one.

After it ended I was abroad working for a few months and was not receiving my mail.

Now I seem to have Link Financial chasing this debt ( who I have heard are very aggressive)

I wrote to them at xmas last year when letters caught up with me at last and asked them to provide proof that they can chase the debt.

Our correspondence crossed in the post and they had already sent a court claim against me in January, which I acknowledged with the online money claim system. ( I have not put in a defence yet as I was awaiting the response from Link.)

Now Link have sent the 'proof' which consists of; copies of payments made via step change, letter from barclays stating account moving to Link, general terms and conditions for the card debt, but no copy of the original signed document for the card.

What are my options?

Should I specifically request the signed document or do they have enough to take me to court?

They are trying to force me "sign the admission" via the court summons "supported by an offer to pay monthly instalments'.

Link have already stitched on nearly £1000 for their court fees and other bits.

I am not currently in a position to pay anything except a bare minimum as I only have a very small part time wage and some money I have saved whilst abroad to live on.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by dx100uk
spacing

Welcome to CAG - Thread moved to FLI for you...

Please complete this:

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?419198-You-have-received-a-Claim-What-you-need-to-do.-**UPDATED-2016**(1-Viewing)

Fillin the first post and paste it back here...

As this is a new Court claim - Did they send a Pre Action Protocol Letter?

I would guess they already have a default judgement as you didn't file a defence?

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

If they are asking yo to submit the admittance form (N9a) then they may not necessarily have or requested judgment yet...check the status on MCOL and see if it will let you submit a defence.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for your response, I am not aware of any pre Action Protocol letters, but I was away for several months, so I cannot be 100% sure.

Name of the Claimant ? - ASSET LINK CAPITAL (NO5)LTD

Date of issue – 04 JAN 2018

What is the claim for – 

1.THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS THE WHOLE OF THE OUTSTANDING BALANCE...DUE AND PAYABLE XXXXXX REF AND OPENED EFFECTIVE FROM 11.2.99

2.THE DEFENDEDNT FAILED TO MAKE PAYMENT AS REQUIRED BY 30.12.2015, DEFAULT RECORDED 30.9.2016. OWED BARCLAYCARD PLC SUM OF £7,066.37.

3.BY AN AGREEMENT IN WRITING THE BENEFIT OF THE DEBT HAS BEEN LEGALLY ASSIGNED TO THE CLAIMANT EFFECTIVE 30.9.2016 MADE REGULAR UPON THE CLAIMANT SERVING A NOTICE OF ASSIGNMENT UPON THE DEFENDANT SHORTLY THEREAFTER.

4.THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS

1. 716637

2. INTEREST... SECTION 69 ETC AT RATE OF 8% PA FROM 30.9.16 TO 30.1 18 OF £684.71 AND THEREAFTER DAILY RATE OF 149 TO DATE OF JUDGEMENT OR SOONER PAYMENT. DATE 03.1.18

Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? NOT TO MY KNOWLEDGE

What is the value of the claim? 7751.08 + COURT FEE 410 +LEGAL COSTS 100+8621.08

Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? CREDIT CARD

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after 2007? ORIGINAL CARD ISSUED IN 1990'S DONT KNOW EXACTLY WHEN- I THINK AROUND 1994

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. CLAIM IS FROM THE SOLICITORS - KEARNS SOLICITORS ON BEHALF OF LINK CAPITAL

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? NO I WAS ABROAD FOR SEVERAL MONTHS WHEN THIS MAY HAVE HAPPENED

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? NOT THAT I AM AWARE OF

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Default sums” – at least once a year ? I DONT THINK SO. I BELIEVE TO 2016 DATE QUOTED ON THE COURT CLAIM IS FROM THE END OF THE STEP CHANGE DMP

Why did you cease payments?THE END OF THE STEP CHANGE DMP- I DID NOT REALISE THIS HAD ENDED - I WAS PAYING £1 PM

What was the date of your last payment? £1 VIA STEP CHANGE CHARITY

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? NO DISPUTE, I WAS RIPPED OFF VIA AN INVESTMENT AND I LOST MY BUSINESS + INCOME CAUSING ALL MY DEBT STRESS

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? I DONT THINK SO, NOT UNTIL STEP CHANGE DID THAT ON MY BEHALF, HONESTLY CANT REMEMBER. I WAS TRYING TO RESURRECT MY BUSINESS AND START PAYING AGAIN BUT JUST COULD NOT DO IT

The court notice was sent around xmas and I had already written to them, but our communications had got lost in xmas post and it seems they want to continue with the court regardless even though they acknowledged that they had jumped the gun in setting the court case against me.

Have you checked mcol?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

yes it does.

The initial letter from Kearns solicitors stated that my letter to them was dated 13th December 2017 ( where I asked for proof they could chase the debt)

Their 'letter of claim' was dated 22 November '17.

I didn't get their letter until early December in which they gave me 30 days to respond, which I did, but that response got caught in xmas post and they posted the court claim on 4th January ( first working day after xmas.)

My reply to them should have already been at their office by then.)

Do I still have a chance to call and/ or write to Barclays and try and get an agreement to pay them rather than deal with these guys?

Then you need to submit a defence ASAP today...next hour.... before they request judgment and you get a CCJ.

" Do I still have a chance to call and/ or write to Barclays and try and get an agreement to pay them rather than deal with these guys? "

No ...they dont own the debt anymore Link are now the legal owners and are suing you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

What do I say as a defence?

I have no clue how to start or what would constitute as acceptable by the court etc.

Isn't there a large fee for doing that also?

Is there no way I can get them to remove the court summons?

use the top red toolbar search CAg box

type in

claimform Barclaycard

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

What do I say as a defence? I have no clue how to start or what would constitute as acceptable by the court etc. Isn't there a large fee for doing that also? Is there no way I can get them to remove the court summons?

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?190-Legal-Successes

No fee to submit a defence

No way to get them to remove the claim..apart from submit a defence and cross your fingers.

Your very lucky that they have not already requested judgment.

The defence below is typical of what most people on here use - I just pulled it from the first credit card thread I could find. You'll note within it is reference to requesting certain documentation - the reason being, to show that you have attempted to establish the source and legitimacy of the alleged debt. You've presumably not made any requests for documentation, so you'll need to tweak the defence accordingly.

It's vital that you get something in pronto though, as I'm confident doing so will enable you to negotiate a £2-3k reduction in the amount being claimed - worst case scenario (we can discuss that later) . On the other hand, the account is really old, so there's every chance they haven't got an enforceable agreement, so you could not end up owing them a penny. They'll take you for the whole amount if you don't get a defence in quickly though - and they'll have to do the minimum amount of work - dream case for them.

Get onto it now and just post up any questions you might have. £2k minimum for an hours work!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1. The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.

2. Paragraph 1 is noted. I have in the past had financial dealings with Lloyds. I am unaware of what alleged debt the claimant refers to and have requested further information by way of a CPR 31.14 and section 78 request which the claimant has failed to respond to and is in breach of the section 78 request.

3. Paragraph 2 is noted and await further information with regards to service of a Default Notice.

4. Paragraph 3 is denied. I do not recall receiving any Notice of Assignment from either assignor or assignee pursuant to the Law of Property Act 1925.

5. On receipt of this claim I requested by way of a CPR 31.14 request and a section 78 request for copies of any documents referred to within the Claimants particulars to establish what the claim is for. To date they have declined to comply to my section 78 request and remain in default and with regards to my CPR 31.14 request. The claimant with their none compliance to my requests have frustrated my attempts to clarify their claim.

6. Therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

(a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement; and

(b) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and

© show and evidence that a Default Notice was issued pursuant to sec87.1 CCA1974;

© show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

7.. As per Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer crediticon Act 1974.

9. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

Ok so Ive copied above and changed to suit my circumstances, please see below and let me know if this is correct:

Particulars of Claim for reference only....

1.THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS THE WHOLE OF THE OUTSTANDING BALANCE...DUE AND PAYABLE XXXXXX REF AND OPENED EFFECTIVE FROM 11.2.99

2.THE DEFENDANT FAILED TO MAKE PAYMENT AS REQUIRED BY 3012.2015, DEFAULT RECORDED 30.9.2016. OWED BARCLAYCARD PLC SUM OF £7,066.37.

3. BY AN AGREEMENT IN WRITING THE BENEFIT OF THE DEBT HAS BEEN LEGALLY ASSIGNED TO THE CLAIMANT EFFECTIVE 30.9.2016 MADE REGULAR UPON THE CLAIMANT SERVING A NOTICE OF ASSIGNMENT UPON THE DEFENDANT SHORTLY THEREAFTER.

THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS 1. 716637 2. INTEREST... SECTION 69 ETC AT RATE OF 8% PA FROM 30.9.16 TO 30.1 18 OF 68471 AND THEREAFTER DAILY RATE OF 149 TO DATE OF JUDGEMENT OR SOONER PAYMENT. DATE 03.1.18

1. The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.

The Claimant has not complied with paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) Failed to serve a letter of claim pre claim pursuant to PAPDC changes of the 1st October 2017.It is respectfully requested that the court take this into consideration pursuant to 7.1 PAPDC.

2. Paragraph 1 is noted. I have in the past had financial dealings with Barcalycard. I am unaware of what alleged debt the claimant refers to and have requested further information by way of a CPR 31.14 and section 78 request. The claimant failed to supply a copy of the signed agreement as per my request and is in breach of the section 78 request.

3. Paragraph 2 is noted and await further information with regards to service of a Default Notice.

4. Paragraph 3 is denied. I do not recall receiving any Notice of Assignment from either assignor or assignee pursuant to the Law of Property Act 1925.

5. On receipt of this claim I requested by way of a CPR 31.14 request and a section 78 request for copies of any documents referred to within the Claimants particulars to establish what the claim is for. To date they have no fully complied to my section 78 request and remain in default and with regards to my CPR 31.14 request. The claimant with their none compliance to my requests have frustrated my attempts to clarify their claim.

6. Therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

(a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement; and

(b) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and

© show and evidence that a Default Notice was issued pursuant to sec87.1 CCA1974;

© show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

7.. As per Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer crediticon Act 1974.

9. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

Fine......Copy and paste and submit through MCOL

:thumb: That will stop a default judgment.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have received a reply from the solicitors in a load of legalese after I added my defence to the MCOL.

I now have 7 days to do something.

Please see attached pdf of their letter as I am not sure how to respond to it.

I also had an acknowledgement from the court.

thanks

kearns march 2013.pdf

get a CCA Request running to the claimant

leave the £1PO blank and uncrossed

get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors

type your name ONLY

no need to sign anything

and they

OK, just so Im clear, I need 2 x postal orders uncrossed

- one to send to the solicitors and one to send to Link financial.

Also, as this is a credit card debt I need to copy the letter shown and add section 78 and don't sign it?

What happens if they do provide the signed agreement?

So far they provided everything except that.

no go read each link and all their posts.

no signed agreement will be fatal to their claim

and they

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

since I sent a request for the signed agreement detailed by you guys above ( posted on 23rd March 2018) I have had no reply back.

Yesterday I received a letter which is a 'statement of my account' according to them, begging me to get in contact.

I have checked the MCOL and nothing further is listed there, also it seems that on the Link an extra £134.08 in charges have been added since the MCOL claim.

However, they still have not supplied the agreement and Ive had no further contact from Kearns solicitors yet either.

I seem to recall that there is a 10 day time limit for them to provide the signed document, is that correct?

If so, surely this has passed by now and I wonder if I need to do anything or just sit tight and wait them out.

I assume this letter is just them trying it on as they can't supply the agreement.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The statement is required as per the FCA guidelines / rules on Debt Collection - No need to worry.

As for the CCA if they havent sent it yet - Then id say not to worry.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

what date did you file your defence?

dx

and they

MCOL does not show a status of stayed.....".defence submitted " or if they have made a response..." Allocated "

The statement you have received is pursuant to the CCA1974 requirements...not the FCA

Andy