deposit on rental question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2212 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

My son and three other uni students put £500 each deposit on a house.

It was for Sept this year. Since then two of the others pulled out finding somewhere cheaper.

It is a bit of a long shot but does anyone know if there is any chance of getting any of the deposit back?

It is a lot of money £2000 for nothing but they have been told that there isn't anything that can be done.

I just wondered if that is true?

thanks

What does it state within the terms of the rental agreement...was it a private landlord or management company ?

When did they pay the deposits ...when did the others pull out ?

Lot more information required ....to provide accurate advice.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

the deposit, if put into a proper scheme is not a promise of a service or agreement but a surety so should be retunred as the property is in the sasme condition (well ist ahs to be as the date hasnt arrived yet)

Now, if there was an additioanls um taken as the first rental payemtn in advance then a contract has properly been enterered into and the LL has a cause to enforce the whole contract.

Knwing what was agreed at the time will help with this but as the LL still has 6 months to find another tenant I cant see that they are going to lose any money over this and the chances are it is just a greedy letting agnecy trying it on.

Edited by honeybee13
Paras

Hello

It was a Estate Agent - family run shop on the high street. On 22nd Jan 18 they each paid £250 and the other £250 (each) was paid on the 26th Jan.

The 1st of Feb the two pulled out.

thanks