CCJ for approx £500 for solicitors conveyance work - now bailiffs.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2237 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have been issued with a CCJ for an amount I owed a solicitor.

The solicitor didn't complete the work and didn't do as they promised me

when the property sale fell through I didn't receive a bill from them so just never thought about it.

I live at an address that was unknown to the solicitor but used to live with a relative.

The relative received a letter from the solicitor saying they wanted money.

I said, fine, but send it back with my new address.

I received a letter then at my new address which I have responded to via email, offering to pay a token amount each month until I am back on my feet financially.

A CCJ has arrived at my previous address (post is seldom opened hence this problem with unseen letters).

I might be moving back there but not sure yet, but if i do or don't I still want to avoid bailiffs at the door as I believe they can force their way in when doing CC enforcement??

Would anyone please be able to offer any advice in the event that the solicitor does not accept my offer

- I only offered a few pound a month but happy to have review after a few months.

thanks

you need to clarify WHAT has ACTUALLY gone on so far?

you mean you have a CCJ - judgement for claimant?

or

You've received a CLAIMFORM pack from either Salford or Northants bulk court?

as for HCEO, i'm not sure where you are reading but they never have forced entry permission on any consumer CCJ.

and the debt appears to be less than the £600 threshold for HCEO being involved in a CCJ anyway...

I think you are watching too much TV!!

please clarify

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

I did get a claim form (at an old address) but my relative doesn't open most post and just stashes it behind mircrowave. When the letter arrived she sent it back with my current address on

they then wrote to me there and I responded via email, offering a token payment plan for the time being. In the meantime a claim form arrived at previous address which was left unopened. It is only with getting the CCJ letter that was opened that we looked through old post and found claim form. So a default judgement was given.

So yes the claimant won by default.

The amount was £340 and is now £560 including all the costs.

I did coincidentally chase the claimant for a response to my original email as I received an out of office reply but still nothing a week or so later. The chaser email also resulted in another out of office email, so I forwarded my emails to a colleague mentioned in the message.

Later this day I found out about the CCJ.

I have seen a couple of 'can't pay we'll take it away' etc and was under the impression that county court bailiffs could force entry, but there's also stuff on the internet which doesn't say otherwise. When I panic i am prone to fearing the worst scenario.

I am willing to pay the debt (even though I don't think they did their job properly, but that's a different issue and I should have complained a couple of years ago).

However, I am struggling to live on what I have coming in hence my token offer to them. I wonder if they've ignored it because they can just hire bailiffs and bill me for it anyway?

Thanks

Edited by dx100uk
Spacing

Hi

So yes the claimant won by default. The amount was £340 and is now £560 including all the costs.

However, I am struggling to live on what I have coming in hence my token offer to them.I wonder if they've ignored it because they can just hire bailiffs and bill me for it anyway? Thanks

I would suggest that you get in touch with the solicitor again this morning to outline your payment proposal. State in your email that if they are not willing to accept your proposal that you will instead be submitting an N245 to the County Court to have the court vary the judgment.

PS: What payment proposal did you initially put forward?

What was the debt?

When did you last not pay it?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

The date on the claim form to old address is 1 Feb.

I have mislaid their letter to me at new address but I think it was something like 5 Feb or thereabouts.

The debt was for conveyancing which was incomplete and not done as promised

ie save a heap of time by using existing conveyancing documents from the previous solicitor who took ill during the work.

The sale fell through eventually but will never know whether that was not helped by solicitors taking forever to do anything.

Hence I didn't think there was a bill to be paid.

But the bill is only approx a third of what the full bill would have been.

The solicitor finally responded to my email and agreed the payment plan I put forward so that's a relief.

Is there any way I can get the address of the CCJ changed just in case it has a bad effect on the credit worthiness of other people living at the address it's showing as (my old address).

I've read that mortgage lenders might not lend to anybody associated with the address at this time.

thanks

the CCJ is not against any address

its against YOU.

and they

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

The date on the claim form to old address is 1 Feb.

I have mislaid their letter to me at new address but I think it was something like 5 Feb or thereabouts.

The debt was for conveyancing which was incomplete and not done as promised

ie save a heap of time by using existing conveyancing documents from the previous solicitor who took ill during the work.

The sale fell through eventually but will never know whether that was not helped by solicitors taking forever to do anything.

Hence I didn't think there was a bill to be paid.

But the bill is only approx a third of what the full bill would have been.

The solicitor finally responded to my email and agreed the payment plan I put forward so that's a relief.

Is there any way I can get the address of the CCJ changed just in case it has a bad effect on the credit worthiness of other people living at the address it's showing as (my old address).

I've read that mortgage lenders might not lend to anybody associated with the address at this time.

thanks

I asked the question regarding the addresses because if they served against your old address when they already had your new address a set-aside may have been an immediate option to give you some breathing space. From the dates you have given it seems the claim was correctly served. I’m open to correction from the experts...

I think it was correctly served too, just not happy about the address now.

I know it's against me, but this is what I read on one of those money forum thingy's that appear near the top of the page when you enter query about CCJs into google.

But thanks for everyone's help and advice, yet again.

I will make a donation (small though) when I get my next pension payment.

It wasn't served correctly if they had your present address.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I live at an address that was unknown to the solicitor but used to live with a relative.

The relative received a letter from the solicitor saying they wanted money.

I said, fine, but send it back with my new address.

I received a letter then at my new address which I have responded to via email, offering to pay a token amount each month until I am back on my feet financially.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• dx100uk changed the title to CCJ for approx £500 for solicitors conveyance work - now bailiffs.