Taking a Sole Trader to court

J2123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2243 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I'm having a problem with my local phone repair person,

I gave him my phone to change the screen and paid £100 for it,

they have changed the screen but now the home button doesn't work and there seems to be some dead spots on the screen as I can't type some letters in.

I have tried solving this problem with them but he demands another £70 for fixing these issues, my phone is only worth £200 2nd hand, so that is really unfair.

It's important to note that those features were working even when the screen was cracked.

My only option is to take him to small claims court, and I need some assistance with that please. I don't know the person's name but I know that he's a sole trader, do I put his business name on the claim.

I also don't a have receipt, but I have a reward card with one stamp that gives me a discount on my next purchase, also my bank statement shows that I have withdrawn that amount on the day, do I have any chance of success in court?

Thanks for your help

Edited by J2123

Should be registered still

Have you used the consumer rights act on him?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Just to add - I think OP has come to this board from MSE because I suggested it.

OP paid cash, has no receipt and does not know who carried out the repair. (It would appear, perhaps, to be a sole trader who was renting a space in a 'phone repair "shop".)

OP obviously knows the name of the "shop" (if I understand the OP correctly) but doesn't know who actually did the repair or who she paid.

I suggested she come over here because I know you guys can sometimes give good advice about identifying whom exactly to claim against.

But I fear it's going to go nowhere.

Edited by dx100uk
quote/spacing

A bit convoluted but perhaps a request to the local Council under s35 of the Data Protection Act explaining the situation and asking for the name and contact details of whoever is paying the business rates at the premises, and then a letter before action to them.

Risky to jump straight into suing them...

Or just be a bit sly - ring the shop next door, say you wanted to thank the phone repair guy for fantastic service but didn't know his name to put on the thank you card/flowers...

Second option is less likely to get you the right information obviously...