TAX CREDIT - single to joint claim - partner refusing to provide salary details.

Nitaka
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2246 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I'm currently a single mum of 2 and claim working tax credit and child tax credit.

My boyfriend and I are thinking of moving in together (him moving into my home).

I said I will inform Tax Credits accordingly and make a joint claim once he moves in.

The problem is, he has made it very clear that he will not provide proof of his wages etc (it's his privacy).

He said that he wants to provide and we won't be eligible for anything so I should just call them and close my claim.

My question is:

Can I just call to say I wish to end my tax credit claim as my boyfriend will be living with me?.

Will they not ask for his employer, salary details etc?

I don't want to end up with an overpayment.

Also, is there a best time to close tax credit claims because my friend said that I should wait till end of tax year April or July?

Really confused so any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

You must tell them as soon as he moves in so your claim will end, if you delay you will have an overpayment.

You just say you do not want to make a joint claim, so there will be no need to give any of his details.

FYI, depending on your pay day it is possible to have a small overpayment even if you tell them right away (as it will compare exact entitlement for X amount of days to total paid so far).

Please note, you must complete "renewal" paperwork after the end of the tax year even though the claim has ended - this is to check you were paid correctly from April to the end date. If you do not complete this you will have to repay all payments from April.

My boyfriend and I are thinking of moving in together (him moving into my home).

I said I will inform Tax Credits accordingly and make a joint claim once he moves in.

The problem is, he has made it very clear that he will not provide proof of his wages etc (it's his privacy).

He said that he wants to provide and we won't be eligible for anything so I should just call them and close my claim.

Not wanting to sound judgemental, but are you sure that this is going to be a long term and stable relationship ?

Partners should be open and honest in all aspects of a relationship, including finances (in my opinion). I would suggest sitting down with the boyfriend and discussing why he feels it an invasion of his privacy. Perhaps point out that HMRC will already know about his income and this information is likely shared with other departments within the government.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

You can only make certain changes online but I had a quick look and you cannot yet report a change of household, so you would have to call. I don't know how bad the phone lines are just now but I recommend calling at 8am on the dot so you don't have to wait ages in queues.

Not wanting to sound judgemental, but are you sure that this is going to be a long term and stable relationship ?

Partners should be open and honest in all aspects of a relationship, including finances (in my opinion). I would suggest sitting down with the boyfriend and discussing why he feels it an invasion of his privacy. Perhaps point out that HMRC will already know about his income and this information is likely shared with other departments within the government.

I agree with your point but he's saying he doesn't see the point of providing his info when he / we as a family have no intention of claiming any benefits once he moves in.

I would suggest sitting down together and using one of the online benefits calculators (for example, turn2us). As long as both of you are honest about the figures entered, you will get a good indication of whether you qualify as a couple, and how much you might be entitled to. It is worth pointing out that some benefits are not means tested.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.