BankFodder BankFodder

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 698 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello

I am hoping someone can advice me on entitlement to carers allowance.

I recently moved in with my mother to care for her.

Previously I was full time self employed.

I have been advised to apply for carers allowance as my mother will loose an aspect of her pension credit because I am living with her.

I have asked social services if my mother can have a live in carer for one week in 6 so I can go back to Devon (my mother is in Dorset) and work one week in 6 to keep the business 'ticking over'.

They have agreed to this in principle.

I would not anticipate earning more than £3000 a year (at most)

but am concerned that not caring for my mother EVERY week may mean i am not entitled to carers allowance.

In all other aspects I should qualify.

It seems one can 'take a break' from caring and still get carers allowance up to 4 weeks in 26.

So that should be ok, but also one must be caring for the person for 22 of the past 26 weeks which would mean 4 weeks in one go is ok, but not one week every 6?

I can find no information specifically addressing my issue.

Any advice much appreciated.

Edited by dx100uk
format

put the claim in

they can only refuse it?

Yes I will do, might as well, there's no question on the form that would require this information, but a 'any other information' page. So the question is should I provide this information or just keep quite? If my workshop was in Dorset and I did say 2 hours work a day there would be no problem, but would I be in trouble if I did not disclose that I was not caring one week in six? Or am I worrying too much?